Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi sj,

You can pick up a taxi at the airport and it should cost no more than 50LE total not per person, one way. If you are prepared to "haggle" you may get it for less. You can also get a transfer with a private air-con car or minibus for about the same price. If you need a recommended local one then PM me if you wish.
Gold is cheaper here than in the UK. It's all 18 or 22 carat and yes the jewellers will repair items for you.
As Iberis says, SJ, gold is quite a bit cheaper, especially, I've found, in Luxor. Its a great colour, quite distinctive in fact. We had our wedding rings made in Luxor and they were a really good deal. Rather than recommend a particular jeweller, its probably best to let you choose from the good selection that there are and form your relationship with them, preferably by buying something before asking them to repair an item. You will find a vast selection of items that would always remind you of Egypt, in a tasteful way.
thanks iberis and carrot. So £5 taxi for 4 people one way - brilliant! Cheaper than booking transfer online then! Hope we dont have to haggle much as we will just want to get to the hotel at that point! And will be looking for some nice gold jewellry too. Are prices set on this by weight? or do you still haggle and if so whats a guide, cheers
sj
SJ, I always haggle, especially in Luxor. They do, of course work to a price/weight system, but you will find the first price offered is never the lowest they will go! Haggle hard, walk away if you have to but you will eventually arrive at the best price!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.