Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Have you looked on hotel reviews on tripadvisor for these hotels?

Bex
I can only help by saying that we have stayed twice at the hilton in sharks bay and enjoyed our stays there very much . The All round quality of food and A/I facilities provided there is very good and the snorkelling is excellent . You can find my review in the reviews section I think around april 2006 which was the first time we stayed there.

We were hoping to go back next year but have been unable to get it at a decent price for a family of 5.

If there are any specific questions you have after reading the reviews im only too happy to help.

lyn
I spent a week at Hilton Sharks Bay a few years ago and have visited Grand Makadi and Makadi Palace but only for a day (I was staying in Hurghada at another hotel belonging to the same group).

I don't know whether any of these points are relevant to you but just a couple of comparisons-

The snorkelling at Sharks Bay was excellent - 'deep water' snorkelling off the jetty. When we visited Makadi there did not appear to be a jetty (there may be one now) and seem to remember wading out to shallow coral -there may be deeper coral too but was only on the beach for a short while so didn't really explore.

Makadi has a long beach, the beach at Sharks Bay is very small with red coral sand and tiered sun bathing areas

The beach at Hilton Sharks Bay is accessed via steep steps and there is a steep hill up to the pool and reception - not ideal for those with walking difficulties/asthma or in fierce heat but there are buggies available. Makadi is flat.

There will be relatively few British at Makadi (I believe Globespan are the only operators from the UK at the moment) and Hilton Sharks Bay is very popular with Brits.

Hope this helps, Caro :)

(PS. Makadi Palace is part of the Red Sea Hotels Group. I have visited Egypt 10 times in the last 4 years, staying in Red Sea hotels 6 times - they still remain my favourite....)
Thanks very much guys. Bex -yes, I have waded through TA for reviews - there are lots! Lyn - thanks, I found your review and may well be coming back to you with some questions if I may. And Caro - that's useful too thanks. I did get the impression that Makadi would have less Brits, and yes, we would be going with Globespan, although I didn't realise they were the only operators. I checked out Red Sea Hotels web site -Makadi does look lovely... I suspect hubby will lean more towards Sharks Bay though...I am hopeless at making the decision, so think I will discuss with hubby over the weekend and let him go throught he review info etc to see if we can make up our minds. Thank you for your replies - will let you know how I get on.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.