General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i normally get my eyelashes tinted , then just use a lipbalm during the day and lipstick at night thats it :D :rofl
Just before I go on holiday, I dye my own eyelashes as I do it better than the salons near where I live, so I don't need to take any mascara. During the day I dont wear any make up - what's the point if you're sunbathing and swimming? It'll only stop you getting a tan and wash off anyway! In the evenings, I usually only wear eyeliner, maybe a bit of eye shadow, but never any face powder. Why cover up a lovely suntan with powder? There's no point in getting a tan if you're going to put face powder on and tons of blusher!

I prefer to not wear any make up on holiday unless I want to feel real special about myself. I like to go natural. I do take some make up with me, but rarely use it.
juby 5 wrote:
You shouldn't cover your freckles, they are gorgeous ! still have a hankering for them all these years later ( sad, I know ), my 7 yr old has a sprinkling of them on her nose
My freckles are considerably more than a "sprinkling on the nose" - they go very big and blotchy after sun exposure and all merge together all over my face, from the forehead down to the chin and right across and over my ears. It looks more like a pigmentation disorder and I am quite anxious to cover it all up whenever I'm out in public.
Jules it's to stop the shine. My face powder is translucent so doesn't cover anything, on holiday I use bronzing powder or pearls - takes the shine away and enhances your tan as well.
It's maybe an age thing with me. I used to take a heap of makeup but not now. Somewhere along the way I realised that the only one bothered about what make up I wore was me. I always feel better on holiday and as long as I don't look like a ghost I don't worry too much. Even when the airline does allow me to have my luggage, make up takes 5 minutes max to put on, and probably the average time is 2 minutes :)
i just wear some lip protector during the day, then at night, lipstick and some eye liner, anything else would slide of my face, as we go to turkey in july
I never wear any make up during the day, only Factor 25 lip balm, so I don't end getting cold sores because of the sun burning my lips! I dye my eyelashes before going away, saves looking ill around the eyes, saves taking mascara with you. Why wear any make during the day, it'll only stop you getting a suntan. Evenings, I just wear a bit of eyeliner and lippy.
I had my eyelashes dyed a couple of years ago before my hols but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference, I think it works better on people with lighter hair. I prefer to use mascara as it helps to lengthen lashes which mine need. For hols I don't wear make-up in the day and of an evening I tend to wear mascara, liner and bronzing pearls for my cheeks and bit of lippy and thats it :)
I think it depends what kind of holiday youre on. But for beach holidays I dont wear make up during the day, just a bit of lip gloss. In the evening I do like to put on some make up, no eye shadow or eye liner (I dont even wear it at home), but some foundation, mascara, blusher and lippy. I always take my bronzing pearls for when I get a bit of colour.
If I was on a sight seeing holiday and it wasnt boiling hot during the day then I would probably put on a bit of make-up.
I take mascara cos it thickens and lengthens the lashes. Not for the day though.

Although I'm not one of those people who won't go the corner shop if I haven't got make up on (check me out on a Sunday!), mascara is the one thing I would feel naked without at work or going out. Having said that if I forgot to take it on hols I don't think I'd bothering buying another.
hi, do people use their moisturiser after you have showerd ready for the night time or do you use an aftersun?
I only use after sun when I've showered. May be a bit of moisturiser before bed, just to keep my skin supple and moist over night, ready for next day in the sun again. I try to help stop my nose peeling by making sure I put loads of sun oil on, then aftersun and mosituriser at night. It's embarrassing having your hooter peeling!
I don't use aftersun on my face just my normal moisturiser :)
I don't bother taking moisturiser on hols. I use suncream during the day and aftersun in the evening. It saves a bit on the packing.
Same here Shirley. No need for moisturiser if you've got aftersun. It's often your face that needs it most after a day in the sun anyway.
Nothing during the day. At night, aproduct called "go" which I bought on e bay - it's described as a "one stop tinted moisturiser with lift", and it sort of adapts to your skin colour. On the flight back from my last holiday I bought a clinique compact on board the plane. It's brilliant - it contains eyeshadows, mascara, pressed powder, lipsticks, and blushers, all in a lovely case complete with mirror. The only extras I'll be taking are a liquid eyeliner, which I've only just discovered some facial cleansing wipes, and moisturiser. I've never liked make up that lookas as though it's been put on with a trowel. I prefer a more natural look.
Years ago No 7 used to do brilliant compact sets containing everything you need. It seems only the more expensive lines do those these days. Although it's worth having a look at cosmetics websites for bargains. I recall the no7 kits because I was looking over old photos the other day and there was one in my old bedroom as a teenager and there stacked up on the my bookshelf were my no7s, which were my staple make up kits.

I don't know if anyone watches Shipwrecked - I am a bit old for that kind of thing but still. Well, the girls they have on there are always all lovely, but they spend most of their months on a desert island not wearing make up and more specifically never being able to style their hair properly. Yet by the end of it they just look stunning with their tans and everything. Then you see them in the studio when they've come back and they've got their hair all perfectly straightened and make up on and they don't look half as good.

It's a look I'd love to have on hols. Less is more and the beachbabe look is fabulous I think. People with curls or kinks in their hair always think they look bad and want to iron them out but I always think they look great!
I paid £26 for the Clinique compact on the plane. I think it's good value for what's in it. I try not to use it at home, and just keep it for hols.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.