Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Sorry if this is daft question but will possibly be traveling with Malaysian airlines next year and will be booking the emergency exit seats. Can anyone tell me where the television screens will be as there is not a seat in front. Also if anyone has any comments on them as a whole?

Many thanks

Trish
trish1968,

They'll be in the arm rest of the seat, they simply pull out on a little stand so you can position them infront of you.

Darren
Hi Trish, friends of mine are huge fans they say the cabin service and food is great.
The only time I've flown on the emergency exit seats on a 747-400 ( which Malaysian use) I found it rather cold and drafty, and on the seat nearest the window the leg room was impeded by bulky escape equipment. Plus people tended to congregate in the area by the exit for a bit of a leg stretch so that was a bit disturbing.

Seat pitch on Malaysian is a reasonable 34" in economy, better than most. Service wise Malaysian are excellent (nearly as good as Thai) but with the added bonus of seat back screens (or in the armrest as Dazbo5 says). If you've never flown a Far Eastern airline before then hopefully you are in for a treat.
Thank youeveryone for the replies. We usually do book extra leg room seats our chartered flights and have also found it to be a bit cold and have found problems with the emergency door sticking out and, even on short flights the congregating of passengers in that area. We have always put up with this though because of the cramped conditions, however I didn't reaslise that the seat pitch was quite so good. I will have to speak to my husband about this. Do you therefre think that it is actually better not to book the extra leg room seats.

We did fly Singapore airlines to Bali a few years ago. Is the seat pitch better than that. We did have excellent service on that flight and will look forward to it with Malaysian

Thanks

Trish
Malaysia have a far better seat pitch in economy than Singapore. I find Singapore Airlines give nowhere near as good service as they did a few years ago. I flew to Australia last year with Malaysia and found their service and comfort levels excellent.
I'll second what Judith says...I found Malaysian to be a lot better than Singapore..preferred the service and the amount of room. (One long haul I did on Singapore Airlines at meal time not only had they run out of choice of meal but they had run out of meals by the time they reached me...to say I was a tad peckish when I left the plane was an understatement).
Thanks everyone. We will have to think about it :D

Trish
We're flying with Malaysia Airlines in May. My husband has never flown with a scheduled flight Long Haul before, only ever First Choice or Airtours.

What a treat he will be in for.
We are looking at Malaysia Airlines for next summer. It is good to hear such positive reports. Do they do online check in?
Don't think they do Fiona, travelled to OZ with them last year and they weren't offering the service then. We stayed in KL overnight and were told we could check in at their downtown office the day before our return flight but decided it would take too much time away from sighseeing and shopping. Though it may have changed by next summer.
we just phoned them up,about a month after,we had booked.they gave us our seat numbers over the phone.my husband,likes a window seat,so it saved us,having to get to the airport early,in order to guarantee this.
tracy
thanks to both of you!
Anyone used them lately?

We're flying from Heathrow to Kuching via Kuala Lumpa in a couple of weeks and was wondering what it's like. My hubby has never flown scheduled before.
Plenty of info on the airline website including seat maps, whats on the inflight entertainment...might be worth signing up for the loyalty program. They are a five star airline on Skytrax - and there are not too many of them.

Been very good on the long haul sectors I've used them for. The stewardesses wear the sarong kabaya and look very elegant. Internal flights are OK but a bit more functional.

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/uk/main.html
I am flying with Malaysian Airlines in August and as my fiance and I are both tall, what seats would you recommend in economy?
Seat pitch on Malaysian is 34inch so better than most airlines economy. You could if you feel you need extra room try for the seats by the emergency exits though don't opt for the seats by the window as these have some of the legroom obstructed by the emergency chutes. There are some disadvantages to these seats though as they are a bit chillier, and people stretching their legs tend to congregate in these areas.
Love to know how you are going to be 'booking' the emergency exit seats on Malaysian. I flew them in November, know staff at the airline, was at the airport 4 hours early, put notes on the booking, and am 6ft 6 - and still didn't get the emergency exits! I got the bulkhead seats instead, which did have more space, but also a baby next to me. Who fortunately didn't cry.

Still, excellent airline with plenty of space. If travelling outside peak times I recommend the 11.50am ex-London flight, and the early morning flight back, both of which normally are about 60% full (outside peak months) enabling you to get 3/4 seats each.
They may have the extra seat pitch but still managed to get a DVT flying with them...I don't hold it against them though. A couple of things I was not so keen was on the daytime flight back they force you to shut the window covers...so it becomes like a night flight, They also push the internal heating up so you become sleepy...something I'm trying to avoid.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.