Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
LyndseyJ,

The use of photographic / video equipment is allowed in UK airports apart from in security conscious areas, ie passport control (immigration) and security checkpoints. Things are generally stricter abroad so watch where you point it.

Darren
Hi :que

can anyone tell me approx how much 200 cigarettes (Marlborough) are in Alpha shopping (term 2), it'll be the tax free price as we're travelling within Europe?

Thanks in advance
Molliemoo,

As far as I am aware you cannot buy cigarettes at the airport if you are travelling within Europe (unless you are travelling to the Canaries for example).

Gail
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/RETAILERAlphaAirportShopping

doesn't show prices but does confirm tobacco is for non-EU destinations only (I presume they mean EU customs area and the special status bits like the Canaries are Ok as Gail says).
Thank you both for your replies. I thought you could buy them, but at a higher price, but i've obviously been dreaming :(
Hoping to catch the train into the airport this year and then stay at the travelodge at Manchester airport. I have phoned to see if they will collect us from the train station and then take us to the airport, next morning, they will for £7 total which is a very reasonable cost.
Has anyone stayed here before and is it walkable to the airport as I don`t fancy just staying in the hotel all day. Toyed with the idea of a concorde trip or a look at the viewing area but is it possible without a car. Any info aprecciated, I have looked at the airport layout and it is around 1 mile from the station/airport.
christine w,

If you mean the Travel lodge by J6 M56 then the AVP (Aviation Viewing Park) isn't far away. 10 mins walk. If it's like it is today, it'll be glorious :sun2 Things are getting busy at the airport with lots of extra aircraft due over this month with the Champions league and UEFA cup final. Things are going to be interesting!

Darren
My flight from Manchester in July is 6am, so checking in 3am-ish

So duty free, exactly what is open, in departure lounge at this time
Anyone know if there is anywhere to watch a football match in T1 ? my son desperately wants to watch Man U on sunday but his flight to Cyprus has been changed so he will be at the airport, not a happy bunny :cry
Thanks Darren, it is the one at j6 off the m56, its on Runger lane. Glad its not far from viewing park. Oh hates driving to airport so going to give train a try, we live close to to station that has direct trains to airport. Not going till August but should be nice to visit viewing park, our son loves planes and would love to be closer to Concorde.If they do the trips during the week I might book one for us but I`m sure they are weekend only trips.
joeseptuk,

Most of the shops will be open for 6am. All the shops are listed on the airport website.

shirleyV,

There's a bar airside which I'm sure will have the game on.

Darren
Checking-in bags

Last year when I flew to Rimini with airtours/mytravel, was able to check my bags in, well ahead of departure of flight

Arrived in Manchester 10am, checked my bags in, flight not due to take of until 5pm, I believe that mytravel checkin desk is open all the time while flights are departing

This year flying to venice, 6am flight, and arriving the day before.

Do thomsons have a similar procedure to allow me to check my bags in, or do I have to wait till early hours of my flight to checkin, would be good if I could off load my bags

Have booked in to hotel overnight
We have 2 rooms booked at Manchester airport travelodge which we were meant to arrive around 6pm in the evening but now that our flights have been changed by a full 12 hours later it now means arriving at the travelodge at 6 in the morning. as we have breakfast booked and paid for do you think they would keep the rooms available and allow us to use the rooms to have a shower, change etc after our night flight and then have breaky before our 2 hour drive home or would they sell our rooms if we don't turn up by a certain time? This is booked early June by the way
Twinkletoes,

According to their website the deadline for a flexible rate is 4.00 a.m. so you would have missed your night's stay. Was it a saver or flexible rate you booked.

Gail
I go away on Thursday morning, I've checked the Manchester Airport website and know the restrictions- but does anyone know if they still provide the plastic bags for liquids or we have to bring our own?!
Merged to existing topic in flights forum

Mark :)
Gail wrote:
Twinkletoes,

According to their website the deadline for a flexible rate is 4.00 a.m. so you would have missed your night's stay. Was it a saver or flexible rate you booked.

Gail

Hi Thanks Gail, we booked the saver rate, does this mean we will loose the rooms? Dosn't really seem fair as they are paid for and if everything had gone to plan we would have been still in bed by the time we will now be arriving, you would think they could still 'pretend' we are in bed lol!
hi we are going to rhodes from manchester our flights have been changed and we are now flying with air malta. we are flying from terminal 2 does anyone know if its much of a walk as my husband has trouble walking but too independent to use a wheel chair.is it a long walk to the departure lounge i would be grateful for any information denise
ronnimolly,

From the check-in area to the departure lounge in T2 is no more than 5 minutes walk. It's probably slightly less than T1. Air Malta normally use gates on the left, 203-212 or so which are some of the shortest distance.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.