Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
exchanging money
113 Posts
hi

the Marharaba palace is a wonderful hotel - stayed there last year. If you've booked half board, you will be more than satisfied with the food. It's buffet style, with lots of choice, and some amazing deserts. It is right on the beach, and a short stroll either along the beach or the road to the centre, where there are plent of cafes/bars/restaurants.
Yes there is an exchange desk in the hotel - we took travellers cheques, find it's best.

enjoy

kev
I have just booked to go to the Marhaba Palace, in July.

We went to PEK last year in Septmember, and we stayed at the (Sol) El Mouradi, about 15 minutes walk along the main road.

We used to walk past the Marhaba Palace regualrly on our way to the Port/Town square, and it looked a really nice hotel.

Last year, I felt PEK was quite limited, and we didn't get much chance to venture out - but when it came to choosing where we went this year, we decided that PEK was nice, and very relaxed - no loud bars, just nice cafes and restaurants, and we know what to expect from the Tunsian people now. Apart from one or two very pushy shop assistants, we found them on the whole, to be very nice people, very polite, and the people in shops are only doing their job/earning their livelyhood.

Anyway, as for the hotel, can anyone confirm that all rooms have a fridge?

The Thomson website states a fridge, and Mini-bar (on request) but last year we didn't have a fridge in our room, but it would be very handy to keep drinks cold for our son.

Cheers

MJ 8)
looking at this hotel for myself and my son (fussy eater aged 6!) does anyone have any idea about the buffet for kids and is there things that he will eat (i mean he doesnt eat fruit or veg for starters lol) or do they have a kids section like some places?

THanks anyone

Karen x
Karen,

Obviously cannot comment on this hotel as it is our first time there also. But if it is similar to the buffet at the El Mouradi, it may not cater specifically for children.

Last year, our son (was two at the time, three this year) was/is also a very fussy eater, and he ended up eating toast and/or cereal for breakfast, and generally of combination of chips, rice, pasta with tomato sauce, or pizza for his lunch or evening meals.

Not sure if you've been to tunisia before, but most of the cafe's and restaurant dont have a 'childrens' menu either - its just a smaller portion of the adult menu.

Hope this helps.

MJ
Hi

from what I can remember, they don't do food specificaly for kids. But they have a very wide selection, with some fantastic puddings and ice cream. I'm sure your son will find something nice to eat.

kev
thank you both, ah, he is such a fussy eater it is untrue! and as he doesnt eat fish, meat, fruit, veg, pasta or rice, we could be in for a difficult one :lol:
when you first go to the restaurant you're allocated your own waiter, who serves you each night - they bend over backwards to help you (in the nicest possible way) as they want a decent tip at the end of the week - If your son doesn't like what they have, have a word with your waiter - I'm sure he'll be able to sort something out.

have fun

kev
We have also been looking at this hotel. It looks very nice. It would be our visit to Tunisia, although we have been on many holidays. PEK looks quite westernised, if this so? We dont want a hotel or resort where you need to stay in the complex in the evening. Is the hotel in a central location? Any idea if half board is fine or are we best to opt for all inclusive. Thanks :D
We went to PEK last year, but are going back in July. I doubt you will need to stay in your hotel of an evening. We stayed at the Sol El Mouradi last year, and found out of the 14 nights, we spent just under half of those evenigns at the hotel.

The town square and maina/port are only 5 minutes walk from the Marhaba Place. The centre piece is a large open fountain which plays music and has dancing water of an evening. Around this are a number of retsaurants and cafe bars - very relaxing. There are also a number of shops, where the assistants will try and lure you in.

At the marins, it is very much the same, a mix of retsaurants, cafe bars and shops/stalls, with a large fixed price souvenir shop at the port entrance.

Only problem we found last year, wa sthat our evenings became quite monotonous, and we did similar things each night.

Another option would be to travel through to Sousse, either by taxi, or 'Noddy Train'. We only went to Sousse during the day, so we will probably go through on the evening when we go back.

Hope you enjoy PEK, we did hence why we are going back this year.

MJ
Thanks for information Johnson, much appreciated.
hi have read the reviews of this hotel but was wandering if anyone had been recently?we were looking at yasmine hammamet but pek is a shorter transfer.this seems to be one of the better hotels in the area.does anyone know if you can upgrade to ai like the other maharba hotels in sousse?
thanks
Snap - we've chosen PEK for the same reason the short transfer and we've also chosen the same hotel. It certainly gets good reviews on all the forums I've looked at but I think you can only upgrade to half board.
Hi all,

Just come back from PEK (4th-11th July 2007) from the Marhaba Palace hotel, and I would like to review trhis hotel. Before I went, I was aware of a lot of negative press surrounding various aspects of the hotel, and I would like to reassure those going in the future that these negative comments are completely unfounded. I loved it! Brilliant room and stunning view, food choice incredible with a wide selection of meat, pasta, vegetables, salad chips you name it. I would also like to say that the pool and pool restaurant were also really top class, and styaff friendly. I was lucky enough to stay in a five star hotel in munich, so I believe i can comment about hotel quality. The Marhaba Palace was very much worth its 4 star rating. Weather-well not a cloud in the sky and high 30s every day. the beach was stunning and the sand clean and beautifully white and soft. If you are going in the near future- dont worry about all the scaremongers- you will love it, and im so jealous!

Hope that helps,

Daniel
Literally just back (well, about 2 hours ago!) from a fortnight at the Marhaba Palace, and can only echo the post above.

A cracking Hotel, with lovely staff, and with some good facilities.

Only slight minus points I would add are...

Lack of onsite entertainment during day and evening, especially for children. There is a resident 'band' and a pianist who play in the main bar. Because of this, we spent quite a lot of our evenings over the road at the 'Puca Irish pub' at the hotel Kanta.

Except for that, we only saw one other show at our hotel during our two weeks - a 'fakir show' with a guy who lay on beds of nails and ate fire, etc. I was 'lucky' enough to be asked to participate on stage as well!! :oops:

Also, the hotel itself does seem a bit 'tired' and in need of some redecoration - a little of which was being carried out when we were there, but not to any detriment, and certainly didn't spoil anyones time.

Anyway - we had a fantastic two weeks, both in terms of weather (averaging mid 30's every day), and being in Tunisia again. I will write up a hotel report in due course.

Just wish I'd brought some Tunisian sun back with us....it raining here in Newcastle!! :(

MJ 8)
My hotel review is now up.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/tunisia/port-el-kantaoui/marhaba-palace-hotel/

I have also added a resort review, but it is just a slight update on last years review, as not much had changed.

MJ 8)
Does anybody know if the Cats(and their little houses)are still in the Gardens at the back of the MP...Also whats the weather generally like in mid march....cheers
Yep, there are cats roaming around, and the little house is there. :)

MJ
Syayed here 3 years ago,but cant remember if their hairdryers have nozzles on the end,cant blow dry hair properly if they dont!!,can anyone who has stayed here tell me?,dont really want to take mine,they have to go in the hold luggage,more weight!!!.
Helloooo
im an oldie from the cyprus forum but ive just visited tunisia for the first time and loved it! Looking at the marhaba palace for february and would appreciate any tips from anyone who has stayed there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.