Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Haven't stayed at either of the two properties you mention but have visited both,so,although I can't help with specifics(e.g. cost of extras etc.),I can tell you that the Marina apts. are well appointed and are a 10 minute stroll from the Meia Praia beach and only 5 minutes from the tourist train terminal which will take you to Praia Dona Ana and Porto da Mos beaches.Sun loungers/parasols are available on the first two beaches mentioned and the charge this year was €5 pppd;didn't visit Porto da Mos so don't know about loungers there.
To the best of my knowledge there is no tennis court at the Marina apts ( if there is, it's very well hidden)but,about 300yds from Vilabranca there is a tennis club with two hardcourts.
The Marina apts are,in my opinion,better placed for access to the town,being a 10-15 minute stroll from the town centre along the flat promenade;Vilabranca are a 20 minute walk into town downhill and much longer on the way back with a full tummy!
Can't help with prices but,all things being equal,I would certainly have no hesitation in going for the Marina apartments if I had to choose between the two.
Hope this is some help until someone with specific information comes along.
Many thanks for your helpful comments. I can find marina club for 1545 (1632 pool view) last 2 weeks next July, Vilabranca is only 1093, so I guess this reflects the difference in quality. It will depend on if I can get competatively priced flights and transfer. Need to research or it will end up costing as much as a package anyway. :cry:

Been AI to Turkey & Greece last couple of years due to cost of 4 eating out for 14 nights, and have fixed on Lagos as an alternative as I remember there being lots of restaurants so hopefully they will be competatively priced. (This was in 1999 :shock: though when we stayed in P d Luz).

Thanks again.
Where will you be flying from?I've just fixed up next September's holiday in Lagos and got great fares from Thomsonfly(ex-Britannia)from Manchester(£65:00 per head,return),but Thomsonfly use many British airports,I think.
As for transfers,the most competetive I found this year was €115:00 return for the two of us and that was a private transfer in a mini-bus.A coach transfer is likely to cost around €15-16 per person(each way) to Lagos, but the Algarve rail system has been overhauled this year and trains now run regularly from Faro direct to Lagos and would be cheaper than the coach transfer,I should imagine(although you'd still need a taxi from the airport to the railway station in Faro).Once at Lagos railway station you are only 200yds from the Marina Club.
Lagos still has an abundance of restaurants to suit all budgets.
If you need any more help,just shout.
I'm staying at the Marina Park Apartments next May, they are a little further out of town, but have a tennis court and swimming pool. I booked with booking.com and the rates were excellent, and they look very nice.
Sagres will be able to help better with their location.
A private return airport transfer is costing 130euros.
I can go from any of the London airports. I think easyjet do Faro from either Stansted or Luton but their schedule isn't up yet. Don't think I can manage the train with 2 weeks worth of luggage for 4. :shock: Might be better off putting the 115:00 Euros towards a hire car if i can talk better half into driving, seem to remember it's an almost straight road along the coast.

If we do go for this, I may well come back to you for restaurant recommendations nearer the time if thats OK? No point at present tho just incase it isn't a goer.

Cheers, Doe

Edit: Hi Bertie, I saw the Marina Park when trawling (I used wintersunshineholidays.com) but I think they are different from the Marina Club.
doepsmc,
Yes,the Marina Park complex is a further 10 minute(uphill)walk out of town.
Just a thought,if you can consider a b/b hotel have a look at The Marina Sao Roque on wintersunshineholidays.com - it's a super little hotel and may work out cheaper than the Marina Park, and it's directly behind the Marina Park complex.Shout if you'd like more details.
In fact, their website is;- http://www.marinasroque.no.sapo.pt
doepsmc,

The Marina Park is different to the Marina Club, but the rates are excellent. 50 euros per night for a two bedroom apartment at the end of May, Mytravel are nearly charging that for the under occupancy supplement alone.
Apparently it's a bit of an uphill trek from the town/beach but only a few euros in a taxi if it's a bit too strenuous, or a quick drink at the Marina for a breather.
Hi

You might want to look at http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk they have lots of privately rented apartments on the marina. We stayed in a lovely 2 bed apartment on a small complex with a pool right next to the Marina club in August. May work out cheaper than booking through a agent.
Hi all :D

Thanks for the replies and links, and many thanks for the pm Sagres. I have considered hotels and had a price for the Tivoli from Portland as I thought with a 12 and 14 year old a larger hotel might have more for them, I think I was attracted by the idea of the beach club, even though I wasn't really sure what it was. :roll: But as you can imagine it was coming out a bit pricey for 2 rooms for a fortnight in July. So perhaps a smaller hotel might fit the bill, if you'll pardon the pun.

I started to price up DIY's to see what sort of deals I could get but unfortunately the Marina Club which I love the sound of seems to be one of the most expensive apartments around.

Bertie
Have you stayed at the Marina Park before?
Sorry about the follow on post :oops:

al26 I have just been surfing the site you gave and it has some beautiful apartments and villas, including 2 bedroomed apartments at the marina club for the same price as a one bed through wintersunshineholidays.

I have never used a site like this, are you in effect booking direct with the owners? I'm not sure how it works, is it safe? Do you pay a deposit and then the balance before you go? Sorry if I'm being thick. I normally use a tour op.
doepsmc,
Glynis from H.T. Admin has used an apartment on the Marina that wasn't part of the Marina club, and is,I believe,returning to it next year.Perhaps a p.m. to her might get you some useful information.
doepsmc

I've not stayed at the Marina Park before, although I have stayed in Lagos before, including the Tivoli. The beach club was a swimming pool, tennis courts and a restuarant right on the beach, for which the hotel provides free return transport.
The Marina Club apartments do look very appealing, but at the end of the day I could not resist the rate that I got for the Marina Park.
Wherever you choose in Lagos, I am sure you will have a great time.
thanks bertie,

As you say marina club looks good but that seems to come at a high price! I will have a look at booking.com as well to see what sort of prices they are offering for the various accommodations.

Thanks for the info on the tivoli's beach club, I kind of assumed it might be something like that. If it was just me and hubby I would be very tempted by the hotel Sagres has given the web address for. However I think with an apartment there is more chance of there being kids the same age as mine about.

I kind of know Lagos as we went to the Algarve (Luz) 8 years ago when the kids were little, just hoping it hasn't changed in the intervening period.

Cheers, Doe :D
Hi

The apartment we booked was direct with the owner. It was very last minute and i had to pay upfront. The owner was in Portugal at the time and was not able to offer a facility to pay by debit or credit card so i had to arrange a bank transfer which did incur a extra cost - bank charge. She did however say that when she is in England it is possible to pay be debit or credit card. As it was last minute paying a deposit was not a option.
On the site if you click into the apartment you are looking at and scroll right down it usually gives information about payment options. As the apartments are individually owned the payment methods vary.
I was anxious about paying upfront but had no problems. The owner emailed all the directions contact numbers key collection etc and it all worked very well. On other occassions when i have rented privately i've paid a deposit and the remainder on arrival.
Hope this helps.
:thanks al26

I guess if I go along this route it might be advisable to book with an owner who takes credit cards at least that way I will hopefully be protected by the consumer credit act. Although I guess some owners wont be set up in that way.

Cheers, Doe
Why don't you try http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk? They have apartments in Lagos.
Don't worry about booking direct with owners, we have done it lots of times and never had any problems,especially if you book from a site like those mentioned on HT.
Pat
:glynis
Have replied to PM with photo of view from balcony and contact details. :D
Sorry to dredge this up again :oops:

Having been to algarve twice in the past, I know that most charter flights go Thusday to Thursday, which suits me due to work/school etc.

If you book through the accommodation only sites as recommended to me on this thread. Is it easy to get accomodation in that way or do all the hotel only sites and private advertisers really want Sat to Sat bookings, and is it therefore better to get weekend flights with the likes easyjet etc?

I'm worried about getting flights and then not having acc for the first 2 nights and then 2 spare days at the end. :hmmm
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.