Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Lagos Marina
25 Posts
Probably the most popular bar on the Marina is the Amuras at the end of the Marina nearest to town; they have regular live music and occasional karaoke(despite regular complaints from myself!!) Lazyjacks is a bar/cafe which usually has a live guitarist/vocalist - go there for the music if you wish, but don't go there for the food !! South bar and West Grill are, I assume, owned by Southwest Charters, a boathire company, and both places tend to be patronised by the 'Hooray Henry's' of the boating fraternity ( a reasonable night's entertainment if you can manage to keep your face straight :lol:) , and directly below these is Do Cais Restaurant, still popular but, in my opinion, going downhill with regard to service in recent years. Further along the dock, round the corner, you'll find Portal do Infante, a new restaurant which, although the food is o.k., never seems to have taken off and is fairly quiet and lacking in atmosphere.
To sum up, the Amuras bar is usually busy and always friendly but otherwise your best bet for nightlife is in the town itself. If, however you're looking for somewhere to finish off the night on your way back to the hotel ( Marina Rio, I believe ), then the Amuras or Luis' Bar, opposite the driveway to the Tivoli hotel, would be your best bets; they're both within five minutes walk of your hotel with Luis' just shading it by 50 yards or so.
We used to call in the bar up the stairs is it the sports bar Sagres? :que at the end furthest from the bridge? Not too bad up there as you can sit outside over looking the marina. Only problem with them all is none have any toilets of their own so you have to use the public toilets.
That's the one that's now called the South bar, Glynis, and next door to it is the West Grill. None of the bars or restaurants on the Marina have their own toilet facilities as there are public ones permanently open - a bit of a nuisance as you say.
Onca again Sagres thank you for the info, the wife does not like the idea of the pubs not having proper toilets so will give that side a miss, other than when I know you are near the pub with the karaoke on I will have to pop over and sing a few songs to drive you back over to the town side, (he he)

Cheers,
Dave.
The Marina toilets are perfectly presentable and within 50 yards of all the bars/restaurants and far more modern than most of the facilities in the bars in town ( having said that, I can only vouch for the Gent's !! :lol:) ; as far as the karaoke is concerned, you won't find me within half a mile of anywhere that has karaoke going on !!
We had a nice meal in West Grill last summer. It was quite posh nosh from what I remember and the restaurant was all blond wood floors, crome, glass and marble. Prices seemed to reflect this.

It did seem odd that such a swanky place didn't have a toilet. It was the only evening we ate round the Marina as we normaly went into Lagos itself. Enjoyed it though and made a change from the more traditional restaurants we had been frequenting.

The music at Amuras does tend to 'spill out' on to the Marina. Never noticed karaoke (thank goodness) everytime we went by they seemed to have live bands.

I must stop reading about Lagos, it is making me desperate to go back there. :really
Your making me want to go there too ;)
I can confirm that the ladies toilets are clean as well :tup It's not a hassle unless your up the stairs then it can be a bit of a nuisance.
Hello. in reply to the use of the toilets, I don't mind useing them but its the wife she finds it a bit scary if there is any chance of not so nice people hanging around them when its dark. So we would not use them for this reason, in this contry they would not get away with it, all bars that sell food and drink should be made to have there own toilets.

Dave.
I have never yet, regardless of time of day or night, been in the Marina complex without seeing at least two uniformed security officers. It's as safe as houses- you've nothing to worry about !!
Don't know if it helps Dave, but the evening we ate at the West Grill, (which we didn't arrive at until 10pm for various reasons which I wont bore you with) my 14 year old daughter and I popped down to the ladies loo and it wasn't too much of a problem. The loo was as Glynis said very clean. Do agree that it's not what we would expect here with places that sell food & drink in our somewhat over regulated society, but I just think when in Rome etc. It didn't feel unsafe if that is your concern.
Hello to you all and thanks for your replys to this one, I have shown this to my wife and she has said she may have a look at the way it is all set up. First in the day when we can have a good look round the Marina as we may not want to go there at night anyway.

This all comes from a trip to Malta a few years ago, we went to a Water Polo Teams Lido one night with a bar and you had to go down some stairs to get to the toilets, on the night she went to go there was two men just hanging around and this of course put her of going again, as I think it would any woman.

As you say there has never been any problems at the Marina so we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks again,
Dave.
I do not understand the comments about the food at Lazyjacks Bar!!! I have an Apartment close by and have been using this family run bar for a few years now. It is clean,friendly,well run and extremely popular. As for the food !!! I have always found it good albeit a Bar type menu. Try the Lasagne, great stuff come with a side salad and Garlic bread and between 6 and 8pm you get this and a beer or wine for €7.00. Also great Chilli, Chicken Curry and Nachos. Live music most nights. love little legs (João) great fiddle player.
Elle
That's exactly what I meant, Elle - it's not a restaurant; there was no criticism implied or intended of their food and I agree that the lasagne there is as good as any you'll find in town, but the original question asked for details of bars and restaurants and I was making the point ( with humour, I thought, but maybe not, apparently,) that this was a bar and not a restaurant.
Hi,
Well your comment in bold!! (DO NOT GO THERE FOR FOOD) I thought was unfounded. As a matter of fact I was in there last night and the place was packed and for February that is proof of how popular this place is. Still believe the food is great and what is more not at rip off prices. Also at the moment they have beer at €1.30 a pint (Tagus) the cheapest in Town.
Elle
I will not go back to Lazyjacks. The food is ok and the drink is ok but the entertainer can be CRUDE, and I mean CRUDE. He could put Roy Brown to shame. It's fine if you like that sort of thing and at a stag do I would laugh with the rest, but his songs were way over the top. We left and went back some nights later but we didn't go in as there he was singing away the same sort of stuff.
Hi,
I think I know who you mean and I admit he was bad but I believe they fired him. They now have a different band play every time and I think this is better, more variety. Last night it was a duo both Portuguese (great singer)

Elle
Hello, as the starter of this link I see it has come back, I would like to put those who replyed in the first place in the picture as to how we found it. We did have a look round by day and went there a few time for a drink or a icecream but never did go over at night, the thing I do remember of the place at night was standing on our balcony (Marina Rio Hotel) after coming in from the town or Luis's bar and thinking what a noise coming from the bar over at the Marina and I am glad we never went over there.

Dave.
i know its not very cultural and im not a big fan but my 8 year old daughter loves singing on a karaoke and wasnt shy at getting up in tenerife earlier this year. I know she will be itching for another go.

Are there any family friendly karaoke bars in lagos town or marina?

We will be there 28/7

:cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.