Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I always go to Marmaris so I am biased. I love Marmaris because it caters for any type of holiday you want really. I have never stayed in Icmelar only been for day visists.

I recognise those hotels from Goldtrail?? Those hotels don't get very good reviews and are by no means a 5star. I know the one in Marmaris also goes by another name.
Icmeler every time for me personally, but I'd avoid any of the Litera hotels (no matter which resort) like the plague! Read plenty of reviews on them and you'll see why - yes, they're cheap, but anything but cheerful! You'd be better off paying even just a little bit more and getting somewhere far better. In fact, if you do your homework, you'd probably find places around the same price which are miles better than the Litera ones.

As for which resort, again - do your homework. It depends what you want from your holiday - Marmaris is, for many people, a bit like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. Many people on here love it and return time and time again - unfortunately, I'm in the latter category, but it's all a question of horses for courses. If you give us an ideal of the type of holiday you enjoy, I'm sure people on here will be able to give you more of an idea which resort would suit you best.
Litera hotels don't have a very good reputation, they are very cheap and you really do get what you pay for. Have a read through some of the reviews before you make up your mind. There a plenty of hotels better than Litera ones.
Thank you for your advise, will not be going to either of those then. ;)

I have a 3year old so would like somewhere which caters for children (playground, maybe a playgroup,swimming pool) I would like to be close enough to the beach/shops/restaurants that I can walk there, but dont want to be TOO into the hustle and bustle if you know what I mean??

Ive read the beaches in Icmelar are much nicer than Marmaris but Icmelar doesnt have as much there lik Marmaris??

we stayed in the Holiday village algarve last year and that hotel was fabulous the only downside it was a hike to get to the main strip and Beach, which we didnt enjoy doing everyday.

Does anyone have any resorts that they would recommend? AI or FB,HB?

Sarah
ashtonsmum,

You may find members Resort Reports and Hotel Reviews useful in your research. As mentioned above, Icmeler and Marmaris may be neighbouring resorts but they offer a different type of holiday. Icmeler is more low key than Marmaris, although you make of it what you will as they can both be as quiet or as lively as you want.

Darren
I for one love Icmeler but I also love Marmaris,Turunc and Akyaka.
To Think of it I just Love Turkey.

Gene
Of the two resorts I'm definately in the Icmeler camp, but as Blondiescot says it all depends on what type of holiday you're after. We holidayed in Icmeler last year and are returning again in September. We like a reasonably lively resort without being over the top.

Don't be fooled by thinking Icmeler is a small resort. In comparison to Marmaris it is (but there again so are most places!), but it is a much bigger resort than the brochures lead you to believe. We were surprised just how big it was. Theres loads of shops, bars and restaurants spread out around the resort and lots of good accomodation close to the beach if you want to be central to the nightlife and sea front.
Hi Sarah, have a look at Babadan Apartments in Icmeler, it ticks most of your boxes. Scroll back through this forum to 14th December, 2009 to find Babadan Apartments discussion also, go further back to 22nd April, 2008 for Discussion on Icmeler. Hope this helps.

Les
Been to both and especially with a young family I would stick with Icmeler. It is a big enough resort and there is plenty to do. Icmeler is not as spread out as Marmaris but dont bother with the beach both Marmaris and Icmeler beaches have lots of shingle, although Icmeler is slightly better. Icmeler is a very friendly resort as is Marmaris but the atmosphere about the palce seems to be that little bit better.

Personally I think you would be better going self catering, the prices are fairly cheap in September, eg you can rent an apartment starting from about £30 per week. Try

http://www.otbeach.com
http://www.travelrepublic.com

Enjoy whereever you go

Stewart
Hi Sarah

I have been to Icmeler many times and love it. It depends on the type of holiday you want. Marmaris is far too busy for me and I would never stay there. I would personally avoid the hotels you mention. We had friends who stayed in the one in Marmaris and they didn't have a good holiday. Icmeler has many lovely hotels and apartments. Its very beautiful. Has quiet places but all the night life you could want.

Regards

Janice
Hi, we have stayed in both Icmeler and Marmaris in the past and preferred Marmaris because it is so busy and has enough going on to entertain everybody. Last year we stayed in Icmeler but ended up going to Marmaris almost every night as we liked the bars and restaurants better there. We're going to Marmaris this year but will probably meet up with some family in Icmeler for odd nights.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.