Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
my mother lives there and rang me today and said its the quietest shes seen marmaris in june so i think it must relate to previous years, she said most restaurants, shops etc say they are around 40% down compared to last year, she said even taxis have reduced prices to try and get more custom
Hi, I also read this in today's 'Metro' here in Newcastle, but it said that it refers to the number of 'hits' Marmaris got on internet travel sites, e.g. enquiries not necessarily bookings??? Second and third places were SALOU and ALCUDIA (Spain). Sharm El Sheik lost out badly after last years troubles.

Ray
Ray, Maybe I wasn't listening properly!
If thats the case, what a shame for all the people working in the tourist areas in Turkey, and probably in danger of losing their jobs. I wonder what is causing so many people to only look, and then not book this year?
Do hope trade picks up soon. My daughter spoke to a friend in Marmaris last week and he said it was so quiet in Marmaris. He'd have normally earned loads in tips at this time of year but not this year. Says season is sh**
You just need to think back to earlier in the year when they were cancelling flights left right & centre - A good guesstimation would probably say about 30% of flights - So that would equate roughly to the reports of the drop in business

With my apartment, i am actually up about 30% on bookings from last year - All bar 1 booking have been to Marmaris before

Cheers

LA
glad you are doing well leighanne..... trade here is slow.its a combination of bird flu, high ytl rates and kids having to stay in school until the summer recess. with the bird flu now proved to be a minor hiccup and the rates of 3 ytl to the pound, people have really missed out on a great value holiday.
Im so gutted we never made it this year due to the wifes illness.
Mixing out on some real good times and exchange rates.
At least the weather here is good,an i got my self a motorbike and doing my test.
Still really missed our two weeks in Marmaris though,watch this the exchange rate will be 2ytl to the pound next year :?
I wonder what is causing so many people to only look, and then not book this year?

By everyone's admittance last year was one of the busiest years ever, many people will only do a destination once or twice and then move on, but I have heard that many places around the Med are a lot quieter, could be the world cup?

You also have to remember that the economy is slowing with higher interest rates (although not as high as Turkey) effecting some people
any idea what it will be like in september?
This is part of an article I posted last year after my May holiday and is based on my experience and talking to other tourists.
Last year there was a poor exchange rate, but the bars and restaurents were doing the stuff on the tourist.
Its a case of "killing the goose that lays the golden egg"
Greed was the byeword, a quick buck, this and the Dalaman airport,is the reason why people are turning the back on Turkey.
The Bird scare did have a bearing on peoples choices, but the underlying theme last year was "Overcharge and Hyke Prices"

Things had improved when we returned again last August but to me the damage had been done.

redrhino12

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the point coming across is that Turkish restaurenters are doing the stuff on unsupecting tourists, but mark my words they will only reap what they sow.

Inflationary prices,conning customers and now bombings, we tourist will only take so much.

Gene
I know lots of people seem to hate Dalaman airport (the old one), but personally can't see what is so bad about it, and certainly cannot understand why anyone would let that be a reason to stop them going to Turkey. We've been in far worse airports in other holiday areas in Europe. Even so if I liked a place but had not had a good experience at the airport, wouldn't let that be a reason to not go there again. Also don't think the prices charged in restaurants last year were particularly bad, yes they were more than a few years ago, but still cheaper than places like Spain and Greece.
Redrhino, just thought about it and you're right. Have been to Marmaris 7 times and loved the place. However last year, first time ever, i noticed the drinks watered down on the buy one get one free, prices higher if they could get away with it.Also noticed an "attitude" in some places. A waiter in our hotel asked us to go to see his brother's jeweller's shop. We told him we didn't want anything. He convinced us to look. We did to be polite. Didn't buy. He went mad and asked why we bothered if we didn't intend to buy!!!! I have never had that sort of treatment anywhere in Turkey. My husband said it would be the last time we visited. However booked to go back in September so hoping things are much better this year or it will be our last visit.
Take your point al321, maybe its more noticeable in the bigger resorts. In Turunc the prices tend to be a bit higher anyway, but last year didn't seem much different to what we expected, we also didn't get the hassle that maybe you get in bigger resorts, and everyone seemed just as friendly as usual.
Alfie, don't get me wrong. Never had a problem in Marmaris, the people have always been so friendly and can't do enough to help until last year!!! I love the quieter time in Marmaris so tend to go Oct. Really was strange last year. Some restaurants were as before and we still had wonderful food and attention but reading Redrhinos post i realised that maybe things had changed due to greed. Some waiters were very aggressive and rude which i was amased by. Had heard several Turkish people say it's because a lot of Kurds were working in the restaurants last year but don't know if that was the reason. Just hope things are better this year. If not we wont be going back.
Al321 Maybe you should try one of the smaller resorts, maybe Akyaka,Turunc, Dalyan not sure that you get the same kind of attitude in these places, unless of course you don't like it quiet. Relatives of ours who usually go to Hisaronu and have just returned from our apartment, said they would say it was probably the best place they have ever been, and they loved the way the people had so much more time for them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.