Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
medication
9 Posts
I take medication and hever never needed a Dr's letter although I always take a copy of my prescription.

Diane
If you pay for your prescriptions at home, you might be able to stock up in Turkey. Most medication is cheaper there and can often be bought without prescription.
I took prescriped medication to Turkey last year. I think the main thing to do is to keep it in it's original packaging from the chemists, that says what it is and that has your name on it.
Ask your chemist for a printout which will have all the medication you are currently on ,and all medications you have had in the last three months ,this is free of charge. Everyone who is carrying medication is required to have one of these,more so now with the elevated security .I am diabetic with some other complaints and never travel without this.

Bluepeterno1
Just an idea, if you have a scanner/printer make a copy of your prescriptions before you hand them in, those along with the repeat form that comes with your prescription should be enough. I have to use catheters { I take 30 of these in my hand luggage} which are packaged in liquide and have never had a problem even with the increased security surrounding liquides I also take controlled drugs, I have never been asked for a doctors letter. I think you will be fine and shouldn't encounter any problems, have a nice time :D oh and do have a look for your meds in Turkey they are really cheap.
If you ARE asked about your medication and you dont have written proof to say that these are prescription drugs ,then the chances are you will not be allowed to take them on board with you. I always carry all my medication ,including controlled drugs in my hand luggage ,in case my luggage goes missing ,and always inform them at check in and security that I am carrying them .Just because some people are never asked about them does not mean you wont be ,its better to be safe than sorry ,so take some sort of proof with you .If you have this print out and you run out of any medicationwhile on holiday ,if you go to a local pharmacy ,they will know exactly what you need as lots of drugs in turkey although the same come under different names

Bluepeterno1
my husband carries alot of controlled drugs on holiday and always takes a drs note as well as his prescription, never had any problems till april this year when leaving goa, he was asked for this letter ,which he showed ,that wasnt good enough they said they needed drs stamp ,,not a clue what they were on about ,,also when landed at manchester he was took to 1 side and asked was he carrying controlled drugs ( were they notified) ,,he said yes and showed them the letter and prescription ( letter also states why you need controlled drugs) this was enough to confirm his need for the drugs, i would say if you are carrying a dangerous drug them make sure you get a drs letter just in case ,,luckily my husband had one otherwise i dont know what would happened ,,,
hi all
thaks for the replies have already spoke to my doctor he is going to sort me out with a letter
garry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.