Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Yes Carrot... I have thought about it and have sometimes given out offers for AI... but most people who visit my place prefer half board as they only take a light snack at lunchtime, and maybe a few drinks, and find that it just is not worth paying the extra. They also prefer the individualism... having one's own bottle of beer or wine, and a choice at that, seems to attract them more than having to top up with glasses of one standard type of drink. Statistically speaking, my guests spend between LE 50 - 125 per person per day on all extras ( lunch, drinks etc ). Obviously, if they are out exploring different parts of Sinai then they are spending less at the resort.

Now, mate, start doing your sums ! :lol:
Couldn't agree with you more Swiss, there's nothing worse than flat beer or pop especially when it comes in a plastic cup! Give me individual attention every time... :D
Hey
I'm going to but in here

Swiss when you gonna offer AI at that place ????
could possibly twist Wife's arm if there was ????
but she's also talking about Hurgarda as she wants to go to the pyramids a bit quicker than it is from Sharm
Swiss, I have to reply to that, having hopefully recovered from my "senior moment"!

I suppose that firstly I have to state that, despite my career record, I do not consider myself an alcoholic.
Why does he say that, you ask? Well , the reason is that when I and my good lady are on holiday in Nuweiba,( you must remember that we have seen most of the sights of Egypt previously and as wonderful as they are, we now visit solely for the ambience, people and weather), we tend to consume between 1/2 bottles of wine each per 24 hours. We just love our food and cannot do with just a "snack" at lunch time, why should we, we're on holiday!

Now, whilst I agree that many all-inclusive hotels will only serve your drinks in plastic glasses and serve mediocre food, we believed that we had found a hotel, in The Coral Hilton, Nuweiba, which bucked the trend and gave exceptional value for money on an all-inclusive basis. Whatever you reasonably demand, they will comply with, which in my book is fantastic!

Imagine how we felt, when, we met you and then, discovered that you had an even better plan for how a hotel should operate? This was even more enhanced when we saw what a wonderful job you had made of Swisscare when it opened.

I have done my sums, Swiss, many times, but it always works out better for OUR FAMILY to go all-inclusive, when the all-inclusive offered is not half bad!
Gray, explain to him why you like all-inclusive, cos sure as eggs is eggs he wont listen to me!
In short Swiss, what he means is that they can eat and, more importantly, drink what they want, when they want (and how they want). :lol:
Dor Dor...

Oh dear.... I don t want to be dragged into an all inclusive versus half board argument.... the subject has now spread from the other thread to here. But...

I am a pretty old fashioned type of hotelier who, despite having managed large 300 plus room hotels in Asia and Africa, likes, most of all, managing small, individual family owned hotels. That is where my heart lies.

So, I only like to serve guests items that I myself like to enjoy and I only like to serve those guests in a way that I myself like to be served. This is why my little hotel is very reminiscent of the little family hotels that used to be so common throughout Europe 20 - 30 years or more ago, and which, most sadly to say, have been disappearing so fast. Our concept is almost unique in Egypt. My guests enjoy the same favourite brand of coffee that I prefer, they eat the same imported Kellogs cereals because I refuse to eat the local brands, and so on. It costs me more money, as well as a headache from the wife, but somethings can not be comprised can they ?

I have nothing against all-inclusive - I would go all inclusive myself but then it would have to be ALL inclusive and not MOSTLY inclusive BUT THERE ARE STILL THINGS YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR. If I order a drink then I want it properly served - container and glass. I eat when I want to eat and not according to set times. And I really am not a fan of buffets unless I am eating alone AND in a hurry. But there again, I am not happy in large resorts surrounded by large numbers of guests. I prefer peace and quiet, with just few nice people around. The traditional all inclusive set ups in such deluxe resorts such as in Sandals Resorts in the Caribean appeal to me. There EVERYTHING is included and at times and in a style that everyone can appreciate.

Otherwise, I am perfectly happy with half board arrangements.

I also could not spend a whole week, let alone two weeks, enclosed in the same resort. I have to go out and see what is happening in the local villages and countryside.

Above all, I would absolutely refuse to wear a plastic wrist band. No way. Sorry, but that is the silly, fuddy-duddy type I am. I never wear a hat, I rarely wear a watch, and I absolutely refuse to be tagged. So how can I ask my guests to be tagged ?

As I said before on the other thread, I have given all-inclusive offers out to potential guests and to tour operators. But so far it seems, the opinion of the guests has been that it is not worth the difference.

I charge quite a high extra for all inclusive because quite simply the guest can have what he wants, when he wants, ( 24 hour dining and beverage service available ), including bottles or cans of different beers, wines, and a fully stocked minibar. Free coffee and tea making facilities are standard anyway in all suites.

And no plastic tagging ! Guests still sign checks - but it really is no big deal signing a couple of checks in one day, ( some of my guests sign just once a day ), and then all the checks go to reception who sort out what is to be charged on to whose account. Half board guests will have the extra charges put on their accounts, all inclusive guests not. There is no need for any guests to take cash to the beach as they can pay at the end of the day or at the end of their stay. No guests have so far fainted from shock at any excessive charges at the end of their stay, nor from any wrong postings onto their guest accounts.

On our website we do list the room rates for room only, bed and breakfast, half - board and full board. We can and do also offer all-inclusive. We also list the beverage prices so guests know what to expect. My beverage prices are very reasonable. I do feel that some resort hotels do overcharge on drinks - call me a fool, but I simply can not do that.

Longwood Holidays appear to be quite happy to only offer half-board. Maybe because this way they can offer a choice of two different concepts in Nuweiba, as they do in Taba Heights.

At the end of the day, it just seems that our guests usually select the half board option.
I think you are doing the right thing swiss because you are offering a quality product that you really beleive in and are passionate about. :D

Its good that people have choices otherwise the holiday world would be a boring place. It's a plus to have Half Board hotels about, as often paying for evening meals in advance can make it so much easier to budget.

In Sharm in April, I seemed mainly to have the choice of AI's or B&B's, and opted for the later as I was going AI in the summer.

Doe :D
But would he share his Marmite with the guests - eh?

AI works well with families - the kids can get drinks at any time or try a type of food and get something different if they don't like it. There are also some sports included even if its only pedalos and a few games of volleyball. It has worked for us these past few years in Rhodes then Egypt, but we've been elsewhere HB too - eg Turkey last October.

The Hilton in Nuweiba also has a fine diving centre on site - much better than heading off no a boat all day form the local town as I did in Rhodes. And the beach and pool facilities there are ideal for what my family wants.

One of these days I hope to spend some time with Swiss. Having ordered a littl elunch there (cost a tenner,UK money) and been totally buried in food I'm sure his HB food option is perfectly adequate - but I eat almost anything (ecept on not keen on fish), the rest of the family are more choosy and prefer the buffet options at the moment.

As for this the 'Caribbean' type AI resorts. The very best place I've been was the Intercontinental at Cabo San Lucas in Baja, Mexico. A business trip that cost as much (with flights from San Diego) for three nights as a fortnight in Nuweiba - but the food and drinlks options there were superb. A la carte restaurants (several) and a full range of drinks, often just lined up along the counter on the swim-up bar to take . Bit surprising no-one was swimming along the bottom really.
Swiss,

Whats this Dor-Dor business!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carrot started this not me :o

All I said that was sometimes with children AI can be beneficial------constant drinks etc

But having said that the last few times we've been away,we've always ate out a few times, as I agree with you to truly experience where you are you have to get out into the local area :)

We all love to experience local food---------the nightmare to us is chips,burgers and ssuch like URGHHH

I truly commend you in what you're doing,you are so totally commited to your guests------now that is far and few between :D

Dor-Dor
Sorry Dor Dor.... I was answering you on the other thread but the posting has been moved :lol:
Apology accepted :kiss

No only messing about,I really admire what you're doing-------don't change anything because if you did Swisscare wouldn't be Swisscare-----From what I can make out Oct is a really good month to come to Nuweiba--not too hot!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think :?:
Swiss, you said
Oh dear.... I don t want to be dragged into an all inclusive versus half board argument....

You love a good argument! Especially when you know more about the subject than most!

I also think that your post was well considered and extremely informative. It taught me something I didn't know as well. You have never mentioned to me and I have never thought to ask, whether you would quote for an all-inclusive arrangement on an individual basis.

All-inclusive is certainly not for everyone and a lot of hotels, all over the world offer a version of it which is far below many peoples expectations. There are, however, a few hotels that offer exceptional value for money and are a godsend for families who don't have an unlimited budget. With this last point in mind, you will be glad to hear that this orange vegetable is returning into the labour market shortly with a view to generating more "Egypt holiday monies"!

Alan questioned whether you would share your Marmite with guests. I and several other contributors to this forum will vouch for the fact that you certainly have in the past! Once you work out a way to filter out the sand from each mouthful, it's great! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmmmm.... Briar........ not that I really wanted "my" own AI discussion thread....

Dor Dor... keep trying dear, keep trying !
Oh dear.... I don t want to be dragged into an all inclusive versus half board argument.... the subject has now spread from the other thread to here. But...

I am a pretty old fashioned type of hotelier who, despite having managed large 300 plus room hotels in Asia and Africa, likes, most of all, managing small, individual family owned hotels. That is where my heart lies.

So, I only like to serve guests items that I myself like to enjoy and I only like to serve those guests in a way that I myself like to be served. This is why my little hotel is very reminiscent of the little family hotels that used to be so common throughout Europe 20 - 30 years or more ago, and which, most sadly to say, have been disappearing so fast. Our concept is almost unique in Egypt. My guests enjoy the same favourite brand of coffee that I prefer, they eat the same imported Kellogg's cereals because I refuse to eat the local brands, and so on. It costs me more money, as well as a headache from the wife, but somethings can not be comprised can they ?

Above all, I would absolutely refuse to wear a plastic wrist band. No way. Sorry, but that is the silly, fuddy-duddy type I am. I never wear a hat, I rarely wear a watch, and I absolutely refuse to be tagged. So how can I ask my guests to be tagged ?

I charge quite a high extra for all inclusive because quite simply the guest can have what he wants, when he wants, ( 24 hour dining and beverage service available ), including bottles or cans of different beers, wines, and a fully stocked minibar. Free coffee and tea making facilities are standard anyway in all suites.

Longwood Holidays appear to be quite happy to only offer half-board. Maybe because this way they can offer a choice of two different concepts in Nuweiba, as they do in Taba Heights.

You write very eloquently there Swiss
As you put it you are offering QUALITY as opposed to any old rubbish
I can agree with that and could even be tempted into half board
as you put it you are an old fashioned hotelier so I think I wold expect very good levels of quality and cleanliness and good quality ingredients in your food
All of this doesn't come cheap I understand but I'm now off to the Longwoods website to have a look for next year
Could be an old fashioned hotelier like Basil Fawlty ! :lol:
I try to avoid A.I. because the wine is usually rubbish and the place is full of children - having worked with the little dears all year I do like a break from them :lol:
Like I've said before AI can be a good deal if you're taking children but if it were just hubby and I, we would just go either B&B or HB-----to be honest every AI we've been on, we've always ate out a few nights as we like to experience the local restaurants and people--------which has always been fun :D
Been on Longwoods site
and I could be tempted to DIY

Now to persuade Stephanie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.