Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
I attended the Menorca Sea Club for 2 weeks commencing 15 August 2008; there was my wife and I, accompanied by the 3 children 18year old girl and 2 boys, 7 and 9 years. I will mention a few hiccups I encountered there but overall I would say it is a fantastic family complex/resort. Lets start with the apartment; they are basic but suited our needs well, towards the end of the 1st week we noticed a really foul smell come into the apartment via the air conditioning, we spoke to resort staff regarding this issue and the sent a maintenance man to explore the issue, it was still happening 3 days later, each day we spoke to staff and they sent someone to have a look at it to no avail, on the 3rd day of the smell we asked if we could be moved to another room, staff arranged for us to move to another room the next day, problem solved. I would advise against buying lots of shopping from the on site shop as it is quite expensive, there are lots of cheaper supermarkets a short walk away. There is lots of entertainment and kids clubs to occupy the kids during the day. If your children are not joining the clubs, there are periodic games and events held at various times throughout the day and evening. The rep`s at this complex are fantastic, they do not constantly plague you to join in but let you know an event is about to start and make you feel welcome to join in. The rep`s will always have a seemingly genuine smile and will try very hard to entertain, I cannot think of a single bad thing to say about them. There is nightly entertainment, sometimes provided by the rep`s but mostly by groups or artists who are obviously doing the resorts circuit, some are better than others but all will entertain in some way. On the morning of your welcome meeting you will be informed of the usual tourist attractions and offered the opportunity to attend these. Our family attended 2 events, the first which is described as "The Thursday night thing", basically it is promoted as a nights entertainment and included is a top comedian from the UK, you are also promised a wonderful meal. From this resort complex we were picked up 1st to travel to the entertainment at Pedro's ranch, we were also last to get off, we spent nearly as much time on the coach as at the ranch. The meal, although the portions were large was very basic, initial entertainment was provided by "Pedro" playing traditional Spanish music on the guitar, after the meal the young kids were taken into another room by the holiday rep`s as the comedian may be unsuitable for them, the rep`s once again performed a fine job of entertaining them. Spanish music and meal over we had a warm up singer/comedian, he was very poor and we were glad to see the back of him. The main event was a comedian, Paul Eastwood, he was a very funny man, we wished he was on longer however he only performed for about 45 minutes (basically you are paying a lot of money for a poor meal and about 45 minutes of entertainment). The other event we attended was Somnia, if you are a horse lover this is not to be missed, the skills of both horse and rider are amazing, well worth the money.
One thing I must mention are the pools on site, they are fantastic, although not supervised, kids love them however, my 2 young boys and I picked up very painful ear infections, which barred them from the pool for 4 days after an expensive visit from the on site doctor, 70 euro for each patient seen and you also have to pay for the medication prescribed. During our visit we noticed lots of children and adults with very painful ear infections, the doctor informed me if we were leaving around the time the kids had the infection she would not have allowed them to fly.
If you get up early enough (to put your towels out on the seats around the pool) you will notice a large army of cleaning staff who daily clean around the entire complex, this is a very well maintained complex.
The main part of the resort itself is only a 10 minute walk away, there is the usual selection of bars and restaurants (more geared for families), we tried a different restaurant every night, until we found "L`Ancora", if you are travelling up the main street, go under the blue arch to the junction on the left, it is on the corner on the left, across the road. This is the best restaurant in the place, excellent food at very reasonable prices, they give out a biz card with the bill at the end, it also gets you a free bottle of wine if you return, the wine was excellent, not nasty cheap stuff, we ended up eating there 4 times (for the food, not just the wine), highly recommended.
In conclusion, I am not trying to put people off attending this resort, I would have no hesitation in going back however, I would suggest you take some ear drops with you to avoid costly medical bills. Marks out of 10 for the complex and staff, including rep`s would be an easy 8.
Hi and welcome to HT!

If you haven't done so already we would appreciate it if you could copy and paste your review to our hotel reviews site via the link at the top of the page.

Thanks

luci :wave
We went in 2007 the kids loved it and got on great with all the reps at the end of our holiday the reps came out and waved us off made the kids cry and they didnt want to leave to come back to th UK but who would want to leave the sun behind lol.

i would of return to the Sea Club this year but the missus wanted to try somewhere different on the island.

so in 27 days it is Santa Thomas for us.
Hi,

Does anyone know why i cannot book the menorca sea club for 2010 - i have tried first choice, the hotels own site and various others with no joy.

Anyone know why? my kids love it and we would like to return again.

Any help appreciated :sun2
theyre also now called Aparthotel Hotasa Sea Club, interesting
Thanks for that Trayfenny I've updated our hotel review site :tup
Furthermore there is major building work currently taking place, people that have been there this year are complaining of pneumatic drills etc for 12 hrs a day. I would imagine tour operators would rather not offer this as a option for their customers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.