General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we also have a BT dongle

is this
A] a usb wi-fi dongle if so look for places offering a [preferably free] wi-fi service

B] a usb Mobile dongle if so it will work in most countries BUT you will be charged around £7-50 per MB of use [very expensive]. a lot of members should they wish to use the laptop a lot [watch films download etc] will buy a local usb mobile dongle, but again these can be expensive you need to do the sums of how much he is going to use it.

1mb is roughly 3 e-mails or 4 mins of surfing

1gb would equate to say 48 photos or 1 90 min film

see the bt usage guide

wizard
Have a look at http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/

This shows locations of BT Openzone wifi access points.

Make sure you look at the BT terms and conditions and charges tho as abroad they will be roaming partner services and you may end up with a huge bill !!

Alternatively look into buying a PAYG dongle locally, this will may well be your best option dependant on where your holidaying.

Hope this helps.
As has been said, using a UK dongle abroad is VERY expensive due to high roaming charges.

If you cannot get free wifi where you are going, your best bet is to buy a dongle locally where you are going or if the dongle you have is unlocked you can just buy a sim card.

Where are you going to?

luci :wave
Thanks for the replies......we're off to Majorca (Cala Bona/Cala Millor).

The netbook is wifi enabled so assume if I was sitting with it somewhere where there is wifi access we'd be able to use it?

The BT broadband dongle is what we have, I'm guessing there will be massive charges for using it abroad but will go to the link suggested and see what it says.

:)
Yes leave the dongle at home,

The notebook will be able to access any wifi signal in the local area BUT to log in you will need a code. Many hotels will offer free wifi and if you stay there you will be given an access code.

Look out for bars etc that advertise free wifi , he will be able to log in there .. as long as he buys a pepsie!
I used my netbook in Palma Nova at a bar offering free wi-fi.
Obviously we had a drink there whilst doing it! The bar gave us the code and we put it in and away we went!
I use my Nokia E52 with a PAYG 3G sim and Joikuspot which is an app that make the Nokia into a Wifi hotspot,not cheap but you can control how much you spend as it PAYG.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.