Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Generally speaking, you tend to get a better rate if you exchange your money once you're in Turkey. You don't say which resort you're going to, but you tend to find that the little supermarkets, etc (and many bars and restaurants) will exchange money for you and give you a better rate than the actual change offices do. That's what we've found, anyway.
over there tends to be a better rate and loads of places will exchange it, you don't have to go to an exchange office. I tend to take English Sterling notes with me (Im Scottish and not everywhere will exchange a Scottish notes). In saying that, the rate isn't that much better so if you exchanged all your money at home then you wont be that much worse off. It depends what you would rather do.
@blondiescot I am staying at Marti Resort Hotel (Icmeler), is it the same there you can get good rates?

I dont want to exchange here for say 2.10 when i can get 2.25 (or like) in turkey.

p.s. I am a Turkey Virgin!
Yes, I go to Icmeler every year and that's what we do. The best rate I've found is from the little minimarket under the Icmeler Online office, which is in the main square where the ATM machines are. Most of the mini markets will give you good rates though, and if you get to know some of the staff in the bars and restaurants, they will give you good rates too.
Talsar,

Welcome onboard,

As mentioned above, you'll generally get a better rate of exchange in resort. The english pound is also widely accepted as well, for example an the markets, booking trips etc. What I normally do is take enough Turkish Lira to last a day or two while you find your feet after arriving, then you can change money as and when needed. I don't personally rely on cards because if they are cancelled at any time (from experience!), you've got a problem so I prefer to take cash and store it in a safe, with cards just in case. You'll need local currency for shops and restaurants etc.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.