Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Money
21 Posts
Generally speaking, you're better to take sterling with you, as you will get a better rate of exchange in the resort. Many places will quite happily accept sterling anyway. Most of the supermarkets, mini market and even bars and restaurants will change your money for you, commission free, and give you a better rate than the change offices anyway.
You haven't actually said which resort you're visiting, but if you do, those who know the resort will probably be able to give more specific advice on the best places to change your money.
Oh sorry, the resort i am going to is Ortakent but we will be venturing into Bodrum and Gumbet on either the Dolmus or in a taxi for the nightlife. Hope this helps.
I always take Lira. I take Sterling with me to change over if I need more money.
I used to take some in lira and some in sterling but now take all in sterling - put in hotel safety box and just exchange as I go along as the rate you get there is always better than you would here.
We always take about £50 in Turkish Lira to tide us over and the rest in sterling and change it up as we need to. You get a better exchange rate over there. Spending money for smallish items is best in Turkish Lira, but for fake designer goods/larger items sometimes better to haggle in sterling. Having said that, things have changed in recent years since the Turkish economy has become more stable. Years ago when they had raging inflation they would bite your hand off for sterling, now they can take it or leave it. To be honest we use very little sterling these days.
Thank you very much for the replies, i think i will just take all Stirling until i get over there and get bits of it changed when i feel i will need it.

What do you guys and girls feel i will be best spending when i am in any pubs and clubs :cheers Stirling or Turkish Lira?

Please help me with any responses :)
Hiya

Ortakent is beautiful, laid back and a total chill out zone, so you have chosen well for your first visit to Turkey.

Like the others have said, take about £50 in Turkish Lira to tide you over the first few days, tips in and around the hotel, (purely a personal thing, but a few lira to the bell boy and a few lira to the bar staff will be greatly appreciated) and newspapers about 4.5 to 5 lira per paper. the rest have in sterling, and change over there, (not the hotel though, a poorer rate given than banks)

If you visit Turgutreis market on Saturday morning (a must, and a quick trip on the local dolmus ) they price everything in Lira, and it is extremely good value for money, so a few lira for here wont go amiss. Fabulous genuine designer fakes, and you spend a full morning just wandering around, and don't forget to haggle, haggle, haggle.............................Plenty of street cafes and little bars, also a nice little harbour.Lira or sterling taken, so no worries.

Which hotel you staying at? The Lighthouse maybe?

All in all sterling is readily accepted everywhere, so you will be fine.

Have a wonderful time, and make sure you get out and about to all the little towns and villages of the Peninsula, Bitez, Yakilivak and Gumbet, plus Bodrum itself is worth a look, all hustle and bustle, but some good boat trips to be had and good views from the castle.

Happy holidays.

Trifle. :sun2
For paying in bars and clubs you will do better with Lira, also for small items in local shops. As others have suggested take sterling with you and exchange it thre as you will get a far better rate than if you buy it in the UK. Or you could use the ATMs to withdraw lira if you prefer.

When you go shopping you will find that sometimes get a better deal if you pay in sterling. It used to annoy me when I lived there that I had to pay more for clothes sometimes because I only had lira!

If you pay for trips, boat trips etc. it s again better to pay in sterling as you will sometimes get it cheaper than paying in lira.

Kedi
Make sure all your English notes have no tears or writing on them as most exchanges will not take them and you will have a job getting rid of them.
Peter
Ive heard a lot of people mention Ortakent is a relaxing place so i am happy with the choice i made for my first visit as it is within easy reach of Bodrum, Gumbet, etc as we will certainly be visiting the surrounding areas for the markets, shops and nightlife.

It looks like ill be taking around £50 in Turkish Lira to get us through the first few days as you seem to have all mentioned this is the best thing to do.
Also a visit to Turgutreis will be essential for us especcialy with the designer fakes ;)

Were staying at the Medisun Hotel. Ive read the reviews from fellow Holiday Truthers and it all seems to be pretty good for what we are looking for :)

Looks like ill be certainly getting money changed into Turkish Lira for our nights out in Gumbet and Bodrum.
I dont think i will be using the ATMs as i would be worried about whether it swallowed my card, and i know people say they havent had any problems doing it but it wouldnt stop me worrying haha.

Ill be checking all my notes dont have any tears or any writing on them at all aswell haha.

Thank you for the advice and tips with my money everyone :)
Have a good holiday summer ,let us all know how you got on when you return. :wave:

As i have said before on this and other holiday sites i once had my card swallowed in turkey because it had a small crack caused by sitting on my wallet .no ammount of explanation would make them believe mre in the bank .It was not until i was back home that it was sorted out and if my wife did'nt have plenty cash with her i would have been up the proverbial creek,never again .
Peter
We've had a few debit cards swallowed by Turkish ATM's so now we usually inform the bank before we go as the excuse often seems to be 'unusual' spending despite the fact that we use it there several times a year. Husband and I take one each though plus credit cards for emergencies and so are generally OK. Totally agree with all the posts suggesting taking sterling and changing it there, even in a mini market you will get a better rate of exchange than in UK. Do not take travellers cheques as they don't like them and the commission is usually high.
I think it is better to spend in Lira as you can't trust everyone to give you the correct rate of exchange and unless you are 'on the ball' you could get ripped off.
We always take more than one card too just in case.
I had a card swallowed in Bitez last year, down to a "Lebanese loop".
Sorted out back in UK with no loss, but could have left me in a sticky situation if I hadn't had wifes card etc.
travellers cheques for me now in turkey plus a bit of sterling , actually same anywhere not just Turkey.
Glad you had Ev's cards to help you out, Del - maybe next time you will take her as well!! :cheers
Don't forget to add that you will need £10 sterling for each person for your entry visa at the airport.

We found last year that our cards were not accepted in Turkish bank ATMs - but there are a number of HSBC ATMs (at least around Icmeler and Marmaris) which accepted our cards and we got a better exchange rate through our respective banks. We did all our shop and restaurant spending in Lira but, as was said above, trips were better value when we paid in sterling.

Dave
I certainly wont be taking any cards with me, thank you everyone for your replies and helpful information
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.