America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I recently read a thread on another forum where someone said they'd never stay in a room above 6th floor, and I was thinking they were totally paranoid as I'd never heard of a fire in Vegas anyway. I'd still go for the high floor with a view, and try not to be paranoid! Ah well....won't be for just over 7 months anyway, not that I'm counting!!! :cheers
yeah, I wouldn't worry about it - there's more chance of getting run over crossing the strip!! :D
A LOT more in fact :rofl

TC
Lesley74- I watched the live coverage of that fire yesterday and everyone was thinking the same thing- MGM fire, 1980. I am always wary of high level rooms since then.
:(
When you consider the amount of rooms in all the hotels plus the number of nights without fires, then compare with the number of rooms affected by a fire.....I'm going to not worry about it and go for the best view!
Smoke caused all the deaths at the MGM fire, so even people on the ground floor unfortunately died. The fire at the Monte carlo was a different beast, it started on the exterior of the building and consumed the exterior fittings, signs etc. The window are very thick in the building so would have given very good thermal protection, thus giving the occupants plenty of time to make there escape. The fire safety laws in USA are some of the best in the world and I would stay in any hotel there without question, no matter what floor. I personnally, whenever I stay in a hotel always check the fire escapes and make sure I know them, after all if I fire starts you are not in best frame of mind. So pre checking the route is well worth the ten minutes. When I was in New York some years ago the fire alarm sounded in the middle of the night and due to pre checking the escape route we were out of the building quicker than if we had followed the normal route, turned out to be a false alarm though. KNOW YOUR ESCAPE ROUTES.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.