Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Garry
I've asked for it to be added- it should be on sometime tonight
Hi garry!

I was thinking of giving this area a try, as I am not a CCB fan.
Then I read this in the latest edition of Lonely Planet

"Morjim Welcome to Russian Town. For some inexplicable reason ,Morjim is the destination of choice for Russians on holiday, and only receives a trickle of day trippers from other beaches.

Can you tell me what you think of this description?

ps--- also heard rumours of drug dealing and prostitution carried out in this area
The "Olive Ridley" in Morjim used to be a really nice beach restaurant, which fronted on a nice quiet stretch of beach.
It was run by a belgian couple who had a new bungalow across the street with rooms to rent. The lady actually ran the protection scheme for the "Olive Ridley" turtles.

However, they split up and the man moved in his young russian girlfriend.
That's when it all went wrong - the restaurant was allways full of young, drunk, noisy russians. The service was slow - if you could get a table that is. :shock:
We have never been back. :cry:
Many thanks for your review Garry which members can read by Clicking Here
Just to clear a few things up, Morjim Beach resort is far enough away from any other bars etc so as not to be a problem. Trust me we found it ideal for our needs and had no problems at all

My inlaws live in Morjim during our winter and it is true there has been a Russian invasion of sorts (previoulsly it was the Israelies)u he sluumber them 3 to 1. They have brought problems, money laundering in Calangute for example and every year we hear of prostitution etc. I have never seen this and my inlaws who are very wordly wise have not done either. It is true however that like most of Northern Goa there are one or two unsavoury Russian characters living there unchecked by the Police (backsheesh), but the local churches who still have a say in things are doing their best to remove the problem When we where there recently a story appeared in the Goa'n eqivalent of the News of the World about Morjim, it named 3 Russians and caused a lot of upset in the community.

All I can say to anyone is like most things this 'problem' will move on, once the authorities get a grip. We found the problems more connected with as the locals call them' Chapati Jet Set' who come from Bombay and buy up land for big hotels.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.