Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
morjim beach
32 Posts
Hi denham

I have been a few times to Morjim beach although it has only ever been for the birdlife (avian type that is) If you click the link below and then skip down a little a map with places dotted on it gives you the exact place of it's whereabouts.

Regarding the places to eat, sorry can't help but what I can tell you is the Russians are taking over....Also a word of warning any males in the group might gain a very unhealthy obsession with early morning beach walks if you stay over ...this may be something to do with bikini clad Russian beauties exercising early morning on the beach....the girl on the beach was cited in the divorce papers!

http://www.wildrossendale.co.uk/GoaTripReport-2010.html
some shacks available at Morjim , not lots but enough!
for another good map try "JOHN THE MAP" .
BOB.
Renowned for Russians and drugs i'm afraid.
(Sorry Bob i know you have had personal problems)...But unfortunatly that is the way it has gone.
:offtop In todays paper someone caught with Rs 21 Lakhs in cash and some drugs in Calangute.
Alot of money...nearly 28,000 pounds in cash!!
Renowned for Russians and drugs i'm afraid.

Morjim?
never seen any drugs there and not many Russians have come to my notice.
But there again I don't see many drugs in any other areas, perhaps its the places I go and people I mix with along with my age which deters drug pushers.
we had a great day when we went there, didnt see anything untoward at all
:cheers
The majority of tourists in Goa are Russian and Goa is absolutly rife wth drugs but neither are in Morjim!
My last post on this topic. :wave:
Don't understand Spaldy's posts. :que
first there is a drug problem in Morjim, then there isn't.

Anyway, back to Denham.
I can't comment on stopping there for the night but plenty folk do.
We generally spend at least 3 days out of our two weeks there and also at Ashwem beach.
Any taxi driver will take you and wait, if you don't know which shack you want, they will take you to one where they get a bit of commission etc. but that doesn't really make any difference to you.
Last season we were paying around £10-12 for the taxi all day from Candolim.
Can't remember if we were charged for sunbeds there, think so, but only 100 rps, if we were.
Nice and peacefull and the sea is much better than BCC area, especially for children (but as usual watch them!)
Spaldys post was what we call "ironic"

As in a lifesize statue of Lenin at the river end of the beach, a lot of the shacks being run by Russians (without business visas), most menu boards in Russian, regular drug busts of Russians at that end of the coast, far more would happen in other circumstances, half of Morjim bought by Russians and now subject to court cases etc etc.......

Yes, its called "irony"
Irony lost on me I am afraid.
Saw nothing of this last season..
Is there more than one Morjim Beach?

edited
Ok maybe noticed menu boards but nothing else
OK SPaldy.
I'm quite surprised you remember my post about the drug taking in Mandrem. :bow Have to say though, the post i've just submitted, wasn't at all biased toward that problem. :que Just information as to the location of Mandrem.
I still think "john the map" map, is the best one available. this guy made a map of goa, just by riding his bike around Goa, and logging everything he saw!!!!! :cheers
BOB.
Just didn't want you to think i was being funny or anything Bob.
http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=30473&cid=26
Maybe try Anjuna beach del.
but I though that Anjuna was the hot bed of drugs!
Spaldy, you and I obviously speak different languages or use the same language in a different way.

Either your wit and irony is far too subtle for me , or you credit me with far too much of the same.

All I was looking for was simple answers.

At present I haven't got a clue what the situation is in either Morjim or Anjuna, I doubt that any who actually seek straight answers are any the wiser either.
So obviously Del, you are completely ignoring my post, phrased in plain English and with no hint of irony?
Shall I try again?
Whilst Russian tourists are seen in large numbers throughout the state, Morjim is the Russian capital of Goa. They have successfully spread south into Siolim but in smaller numbers. They have tried to spread north to Mandrem but with less success as the locals have opposed them to a certain extent. They have been gradually taking over Morjim for several years and what you clearly see of them is the tip of the iceberg as they have, from the start paid locals as "fronts" This has been their secret of success, since the opening of the bridge from Siolim, the residents of Morjim have been determined to catch up with what they saw as the benefits enjoyed by the resorts further south. Their shortcut to that increased wealth came in the form of the Russians.
I think I can say without being slanderous, (as it has been extensively reported in the Indian press and acknowledged by the police) that the Russians have taken over both the drugs and prostitution trades in Goa. The fact you have not seen it is likely due to more clever people being in charge, unlike the Indians in Calangute who walk up to you in the street and offer drugs.
For reasons best known to themselves, the Goan authorities treat Russians differently from other foreigners, allowing their tourists visa on arrival and largely ignoring the long-stay ones who start businesses and stay indefinitely without the correct visas. I have no idea why they are treated so favourably but one can make an educated guess.
By all means enjoy a day on the beach, but dont forget to say "Das Verdanya" when you leave!
Johnny5, thanks for that.

So, is it YOUR PERSONAL OPINION that Morjim is safe for most tourists?
I stress opinion as I wouldn't want tp put you in danger of making possibly libellous/ slanderous comments.

Sorry to go on about this but I am amazed by these revelations, having seen nothing like them last year or before and have been cheerfully recommending this area without reservations to anyone who asks.

Cheers Del.
In fairness I don't think you can blame Del for being confused at Spaldy, I certainly am and as for ignoring your post Johnny5 I think Del has aknowledged you here
Irony lost on me I am afraid.
Saw nothing of this last season..
Is there more than one Morjim Beach?

edited
Ok maybe noticed menu boards but nothing else

Why can a member ask a simple question and get a simple answer. I am so fed up with all this.

Sarah
post deleted
  • Edited by Fiona 2009-11-28 14:43:18
    continuing to snipe despite admin intervention
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.