Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hiya, we saw the turtles hatch last year but it was the end of january. This year they laid there eggs in december so hatching would probably be around the same time again. BUt if you go tomorjim, go to a beach shack called planet hollywood and speak to shaun. He will tell you all about them and if any are hatching, he will show you!
Thanks alot laura.
I watched the turtles hatch this year.... Amazing sight, 98 of 'em making their way out of the sand and running down to the sea...Try using Cafe Del Mar and ask for Saach or Fernando... All the beach shacks are kept well informed anyway. There's a visitors centre there that will tell you when they're expected to hatch out. Good luck, this was my first time seeing them in four years of trying........ Alan
P.S by the way there's no flash photography allowed so don't expect any photo's
Turtles can be found on Morjim Beach and too a lesser extent the beaches running North (Ashvem/ Mandrim etc.).

The way I understand things the turtles lay eggs and the eggs hatch only on a full moon or the night after.

Full moons for 2006 are as follows:

Jan 14
Feb 13
Mar 14
Apr 13
May 13
Jun 11
Jul 11
Aug 9
Sep 7
Oct 7
Nov 5
Dec 5

but when we were there in March 2005 we were told that no turtles had come ashore to lay since the Tsunami.

Whether the turtles have returned this year I do not know.

As people have said the best bet is to go to Morjim Beach and ask around.
yeah the turtles did return in november/december last year for laying the eggs, as the shacks on morjim beach had to delay there season unitl the turtles had finished! some hatched at the begining of feb, not sure if there are any left!
yeh, I think hatching normally occurs around late jan/early feb. I visited Morjim beach last april and was told the turtles had not visited the beach that year because of the tsunami and that we were too late in the season anyway even if they had been there.
The guys at the planet hollywood shack were really great though telling us all about the turtles and showing us pictures from previous years. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.