Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
hi Willie
can't help I'm afraid but why not also post in the City Breaks forum?
Hi Willie

I lived in Russia for 5 months while I was at uni - this was in 1998 though so some of my info might be out of date.

First thing to be wary of is the weather - it was minus 20 when we arrived in Feb 1998. Any prolonged period outside led to icicles on the eyelashes and frozen snot in your nasal passages (horrible but true). Make sure you take plenty of warm layers. You'll have no problems with temperature once you are indoors though - hence the need for layers you can peel off easily. Good footwear is also essential - anything with a good grip. I had some sheepskin lined snow boots which were great for the outdoors but I was openly laughed at by the locals on a number of occasions when I forgot to bring shoes to change into once I got indoors.

The Metro is a fab way to get around but you do need to be wary of pickpockets, and also the huge fast closing doors on some of the station platforms. It's worth discussing what you might do if you got separated with your travelling companions in advance.

Visiting Lenin's tomb is worth doing if you can - but it isn't always open and you may have to queue for a long time. We went inside the Kremlin walls, which was good, but didn't bother paying the extra to see inside the churches etc. I also remember visiting the Tretyakov gallery which was good.

Money-wise - things were very strict back in 1998. We had to take brand new American dollars as they would not accept any that were even slightly damaged or creased. I expect things aren't so strict nowadays, particularly in the big cities.

Can't suggest any restaurants etc as we were poor students and were self catering in a cockroach infested hostel.

Russia really is a fascinating place to visit so I am sure you'll have a great time. I'd really like to go back again, maybe to do a river cruise, but our holidays are already planned out for the next few years so I'll have to wait. Hope you have a great time.
Corrine,

Thanks for that it's great to have some inside info. I'll make sure that I visit all the places you recommended. I'm really looking forward to experiencing Moscow and i feel better armed with your suggestions and warnings.

Great response, this is what makes HT so good

Willie G
PS If I see any cockroaches, I'll make sure to ask if they remember you
Corinne and All,

Just back from my break in Moscow and I had a great time. The weather was as expected (v cold), but the atmosphere was brilliant.

Spent far to much money (mind you Moscow is the most expensive city in the world), but I came away with many happy memories.

I won't go into to much detail. The trip included Lenin's Tomb (no queues), Glum (it's basically a shopping arcade full of designer shops), Tsum (a department store), Hard Rock Cafe (it's a franchise, but how many people have a HR Cafe Moscow T-shirt?) and some very nice restaurants.

All in all, it was a memorable holiday, but I don't think I'll be rushing back there.

Regards

WG
PS No sign of cockroaches (the cost of living must have put them off)
I had no idea it was the most expensive city in the world. It is somewhere I would like to visit. I would love to see the Kremlin and Lenins tomb.
So you wouldn't go there for shopping then??
Fiona,

I think it's somewhere that anyone would like to visit. The contrast between my perceptions (I remember how I viewed soviet life) and the reality of Moscow's history and architecture is enormous.

If funds are not an issue, then go there in style and stay close to the Kremlin. If money is in short supply, then you could probably opt for a budget hotel outside the city centre and avoid the shops (honestly, these are very expensive). I didn't use the Metro as I was only 3km from the Kremlin, but taxi's are very expensive. I believe the Metro extends to the outlying areas for the budget tourist.

Taxi from airport to city centre was 2000 - 2500 roubles (40 - 50 GBP), but there doesn't appear to be any other "safe" way of getting to/from airport.

There are some problems getting visas for Russia as you need a confirmed hotel reservation and an invitation letter from a recognized tourist agency. This adds to the preparation time and the overall budget. It took me 5 days to get a visa in Cairo, but I could probably do it in 2 days next time (St Petersburgh in June).

On arrival you have to fill out a customs declaration (2 copies) if you have more that 3000 USD of currency/valuables and you have to submit another declaration on the way out (2 copies) as well as your stamped arrival declaration.

I (foolishly) took a load of USD with me (back to the old soviet perception), but they actually seem to prefer roubles (or a well used credit or debit card). Next time, I'll travel with the bare essentials and that way I can go through the green gate both ways.

Language can be a problem as Moscow is not really geared up for western tourists (unlike Egypt, Turkey, Spain where all the shops have someone who speaks English). So be prepared to use sign language at times (lots of fun especially when you realise that talking louder doesn't work). Even better, take a Russian speaking friend with you as this opens all sorts of doors.

Restaurants, as you would expect in a major capital, are plentiful and of very good quality. Again, this is reflected in the prices. I ate in a couple or really unique places that were reminiscent of an old gentleman's club in London. The service was amazing, the food tremendous (I now have a liking for black caviar) and the warm, cosy ambiance is just what you need when it's -21 outside. They also have a Hard Rock Cafe that's worth a visit at the weekend for a lively time or mid-week if you just want to chill out.

In summary, a worthwhile visit and a beautiful city that I am glad I have experienced. I have been told that St Petersburgh is also worth visiting and I have pencilled this in for June 2007.

Regards

WG
That brought back many memories Willie. We visited Moscow, Yalta and St Petersburgh in 1983. It was very cheap then and the metro was only 5p a trip.

We didn't visit Lenin's tomb as rhe queues were 4 hours long, btu spent a lot of time on Red Square where a guy offered to buy my jeans. I was onlya size 6 at the time and they wouldn't have fitted a doll! No designer shops back then.

As for the fast closing doors, I can testament to that. We got very friendly with an older couple from Aberdeen and a guy and a girl who were travelling on their own and went everywhre together. Hubby and Jim jumped onto the metro first and the doors snapped shut behind them, almost cutting my nose off. We were left on the platform, but worse still, hubby and Jim didn't have a map or money and wouldn't have been able to get their way back to the hotel which was a 30 minute metro ride outside the city.

The rest of us jumped on the next metro and, fortunately, after 3 or 4 stops we came to the end of the line where hubby and Jim were sitting on the platform looking rather forlorn.

We can laugh about it now, but it was a bit scary at the time.

luci :wave
Luci,

1983! Must have been a school trip.

Anyway, your post reminded me of a couple of points. The weather was quite extreme, -15 during the day and who knows how cold at night. It was almost as bad as Peterhead on a bank holiday.

Lenin's tomb was interesting and, because we went early, there were no queues. In 1983 things were different and every citizen of the USSR felt obliged to complete a pilgrimage to see Lenin at least once in their life. Nowadays, it's mostly tourists and you don't get many of them in February.

Interestingly, Lenin always wanted to be buried next to his beloved mother, Stalin decided he should be entombed as he felt the Soviets needed a focus (a bit like a deity). Quite ironically, Stalin was initially laid out next to Lenin but his remains were later removed for a normal interment.

To this day there are (sometimes) quite heated debates about the fate of Lenin's remains. The modern Russian wants Lenin laid to rest, but the old guard want him left where he is. Who knows, in years to come, he may find peace. I hope so

Willie G
Luci
I'll bet that was the trip my parents wouldn't let me go on!! What was the name of the boat :?
Boat? :hmmm Nah, no boat. We flew everywhere with Aeroflot and if I'd known then what I know now about them and their safety record I don't think I'd have done it.

We have lots of happy memories of that holiday, mostly due to the company. The rest of the tour group thought the six of us had travelled together as we gelled from the first night and went everywhere together. Phil was clued up and armed with his Berlitz guide book made sure we saw all the sights. We still exchange Xmas cards with Florrie and Jim who live in Aberdeen.

luci :wave
Hi Willie

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. IMHO, St Petersburg is much nicer though so I would definitely recommend you go there when you can. If you ever need any more advice then just yell!
Just found this thread.
We first went to Moscow in 83, in the era of Gorbechov, it was so cheap we could have bought GUM, the last time we visited we had the most expensive coffee ever in there.

We made friends with our first Intourist guide and have exchanged visits with her, staying in her 8th floor apartment (no lift) both in winter with temps of -30 and summer when it was 40C. We are still in touch 27 years on.

One of my favourite memory is staying in her dacha and having a spontaneous party with a group of oldies including a retired lieutenant-general of the Russian Army, we had supplied the alcohol (it was very cheap for us but exhorbitant for them) We were all quite well-oiled and singing all the old Russian songs until the early hours.

Our trips to Moscow rank among the best we have had anywhere.

Patka
Hi
I went to Moscow & Lenningrad in March 1977 - it was a trip paid for as I worked in a travel agent (called an educational), I think I was to young to appreciate what I saw.
Went from Lenningrad to Moscow by train - an experience.
Remember 'phoning home from a hotel and it cost the earth the following day I bought some fruit and it cost more than the 'phone call.
Got my taste for vodka!!! Remember drinking it witha a sparkly lemon mixer - so nice.
We went to the Moscow Circus it was that or the ballet!!!
It is a wonder I got home as a member the group we were with bought a soldiers hat I presume off a servibg soldier and hid it is his case, I am sure if they had found it at the airport we would have been sent to the 'salt mines'
I remember my mum didn't want me to go but my dad encouraged me to do so and I am so glad that I did.
I would like to go back sometime to see the 'changes'
Irene
Fiona,

I'm really quite pleased with myself. Remember when I wrote.....
There are some problems getting visas for Russia as you need a confirmed hotel reservation and an invitation letter from a recognized tourist agency. This adds to the preparation time and the overall budget. It took me 5 days to get a visa in Cairo, but I could probably do it in 2 days next time (St Petersburgh in June).

Well, I'm popping of to Moscow on 29th Dec, so I went up to Cairo on Tuesday to start the dreaded visa process. Arrived at the Russian Travel Agency at 5:30 PM and my visa was ready at 9:30 PM. You cannot believe how chuffed I was about that (75usd well spent).

So everything is ready for my second visit, I just hope it is as enjoyable as the previous one.

WG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.