Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
There's a humongous thread here on mossie's :- http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=240

You might be better starting from the end and reading backwards for the more up to date remedies :tup
I get bit even by midgies in this country doesnt matter what I try they seem to find a space that has no protection...The last few years I have started taking a Antihistimne Tablet every day starting a week before I go have found that if I do get a bite it doesnt itch and they seem to heal up quickly. I always take a tube of Benerdryl antistimne creme too just in case I do get an itch.

I suffer from prickly heat quite badly and since I started doing the above I dont get it half as bad as I used to.
Dont put any perfumed product on before you go out including deoderant with a fragrance.
I've tried all sorts of insect repellents in Goa both local ones such as Odemos and ones from the UK including 100% deet (Lifesystems Expedition plus), always get a few bites, maybe 2 to 8 in two weeks whatever I use, except with Avon's S S S which made me a mossie magnet! I'm not sure all the bites are from mosquitos though, I'm sure some are sand flies so I now spray my beach towel too. My bites always blister even though I'm very good at not scratching them so I do try hard not to get bitten in the first place.
If you stay on the beach to watch the sunset make sure you spray yourself before leaving the beach as they are most active at dusk and dawn. Leave a plug in thing in your room all day and night, very cheap to buy in Goa. Don't have your doors open and the lights on.
Hi we shower in Citronella soap, will do anything we can to keep them at bay....
hi
if you do get bitten the little electric zappers realy work,around £1.99
Goa6 where do you get citronella soap from?
if you do get bitten the little electric zappers realy work,around £1.99

Hi Dragon

The zappers...these are ones you use on yourself once bit?? Ive not seen these do you get them Goa?...

ta

Julie
no,get mine from home bargains,boots have a similar thing but more expensive,have seen them in other shops ,usualy coloured orange with a black wrist stap,but they last for years ,still use the original ones i got three years ago,and have got some more a couple of weeks ago just becouse i think they wont keep going forever
Rember Dusk and Dawn - that is when the mossie come out.

When you are out and about go "home" about 5.30/6pm and stay there until about 7.30.

Have a shower after the beach - get ready to go out and have a drink or 2 (inside) then go out when the mossies have eaten the other who stayed out when you came in. :)
no,get mine from home bargains,boots have a similar thing but more expensive,have seen them in other shops ,usualy coloured orange with a black wrist stap,but they last for years ,still use the original ones i got three years ago,and have got some more a couple of weeks ago just becouse i think they wont keep going forever

Cheers Dragon...will try these :tup
Bought this great bat for zapping mozzies last year also dettol soap in the supermarket, just so I don't smell of any perfume, found when I used my normal shower gel, even with 50% deet on got bitten.
Some people seem to be a mosquito magnet while others around them don't get a single bite, i have the suspicion that there could be a personal body chemistry factor involved. And this could explain why a remedy works for one person but may not work for another.
Just remembered something we used last year for bites and prickly heat, a lotion call Hystolon which we bought out there...natural ingredients, tea tree oil etc it was really soothing and had quite a pleasant smell. Its made by a company called Numark and was about 250 rups a bottle. I gave a bottle to a workmate who comes out in itchy blotches and now have an order from her for this year.
Hi

We buy the cintronella soap in the UK.We used to be able to buy the soap from the farmers market in leeds.Howeve, the lady no longer goes to the market.So my mother kindly goes to the market in Otley, we normally buy 12 bars at a time & give them with Christmas presents.We don't know the name on the stall holder who makes the soap, but there is on the label STOWMARKET IP14 3BU, hope this is of help.

Just to let you know that I open the two bars that I take with me & put in the case with my clothes, this help the smell permiate the clothes, we only wash in the soap before going out at night & I can say that my husband & myself have never been bitten by a mozzy.I also buy citronella oil, I put a few daps on a fragrance pad or piece of cloth, this is in my case along with my holiday clothes, again to help the cintronella permiate the clothes.I also hang the pad up in the waredrope in my hotel, this will keep the mozzies out of there.I take the oil with me & will refresh the pad from time to time.

As far as I am aware, the lady does sell the soap on line.

Dawn
Ohhh I'm so going to try that soap. Thanks for the tip! I get bitten so badly, no matter what I do and like a previous poster my bites always blister and then weep nasty pus. It's so unattractive and uncomfortable!
I can also recommend the zapper as mentioned above, take every precaution you can to prevent getting bitten however if you do get bitten use the zapper on it, removes the itch and helps heal quicker.

This is Boots version however there are other companies that supply them http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Bite-Sting-relief-Click-it_8212/ or http://www.boots.com/en/Zanza-Click_228908/

This is also good if bitten http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Bite-Sting-Relief-Liquid-Pen-14ml_17206/
Thanks Goa6 and Glynis, I have looked at the website and seen they have the soap in a 1kg loaf, seems a bit on the large size so have emailed them to see if smaller sizes available. Love the idea of putting it in the suitcase too. Thanks for the tips.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.