Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
It has changed a lot over the years (but so have most places), some for the better and some for the worse.

We first visited Cyprus back in 2004 and stopped in Pernera which back then was more or less like it is today (generally) as was/is Protaras !
If you take a stepped back look at it, its still restaurants, cafés, bars, music and karaoke, taverna type eating, mcdonalds, bakeries, taxi ranks, trip agents and beach activities.

Back in 2004 there was more open space and empty fields between the hotels and bars etc however most of it was almost derelict land, I remember just up from where the Niata bar was (thats now the Blue Spice Pottery annex of the Blue Spice) and across the road from about where the Isacc Hotel is situated was a duck pond roughly fenced off with bits of wire mesh and poles. Around that area was rough and uninviting land that you wouldn't have walked on where old tomato plants were rotting to the ground. As the years passed that same bit of land got cleared away, one year became a plot of steal reinforcing bar looking like it was marking properties out.... and eventually its got some smart looking apartments and new roads built there.... that for me is progress and although I'd like beautiful landscape over a numb building any day, that certainly wasn't beautiful landscape....
Other changes around the area have taken fields which I'd never seen anyone in or anything other than bits of weeds growing in and again put more apartment and housing complexes on... If you take a long walk around Pernera and the surrounding areas you will still see plenty of farming going on which still provide fresh produce to the area.
One thing that really has made a difference to the area is the new Coastal Path along the beach from Pernera to Protaras. Its made the walk between the two resort areas shorter and more comfortable, although some will say its taken away habitat from the lizards and such but they are still about if you look, its just they now know where to avoid (ie where you are ! lol)
Once up into Protaras there are still the similar Hotels, bars, restaurants but some have changed owners, some have changed purpose and some have had face lifts and rebuilds. It still feels like the same place to me, things look a bit different here and there but its still Protaras, still conjures the same feelings and pleasure of being there. One or two place have taken on a more modern look with stainless steel and glass which helps to bring it up to the sort of thing you probably have done with your own homes.
With all the changes big and small that have been made on the whole it still feels like the same place... its more about the way people interact with each other... the things you can do.. the people .. the sunshine... the food... the choice of music/karaoke/silence... walks away from the throng... trips into the island... sitting on the beach.. swimming in the sea...

Just visiting at a different time of year can make a vast difference to what you do and see, who is there, whats going on etc.. We went about 2 weeks earlier than normal in August this year and it was the Cypriot holiday period so more Cypriots where in Pernera than normal making it feel more relaxed maybe.... back in April the island looked completely different with the flowers and lighting, it even smells different....

We can't wait to get back... even with the extra buildings, new roads, new bakeries etc... things move on... and we still love it !

Steve
the new Coastal Path along the beach from Pernera to Protaras

did that last Tuesday i walked from the start of the footpath at Vrissi bay to its end at Pernera then around on the beach to Pernera Bay then back via the main road and water park. i now have blisters on my already blistered feet but i did enjoy it,.. mind you i was surprised the water park looked almost derelict not one person to be seen [this was about midday]

brian

ps i dis manage to find plenty of Keo on tap at 2 eu pint :cheers
How far does the walk go ? We are staying again the the pernera beach hotel, altho it was a trek we walked along the sea front, but promply landed on the sand for the rest of the walk to fig tree bay.

Also does anyone know how many euros is a pint of guiness :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.