7 Posts
Well there's,

Mastika - like the Greek Ouzo

Rakia - similar to slivovich

Pliska - Bulgarian brandy

Will that do for starters?

Patka
Hi Pub_Dog,

Rakia is by far & away the Bulgarian 'national drink', from recently published statistics - every village that I have visited has its own Rakia distillery.

Australia have "Fosters"

No Australian that I met in Melbourne touched Fosters with the proverbial bargepole (I attended a seminar in the Fosters Brewery and was informed that it was mainly exported to the 'uninitiated' - Crown Lager (Crownies) was certainly the drink of choice - in Victoria, anyway!)
Hi Baldur,

I agree absolutely that rakia is the 'national drink', but the problem for ordinary tourists, (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense - we were all new to Bulgaria once), is where to find the real thing in the resorts.

The commercial stuff is not very good, even if you can find that in the resort bars and restaurants.

The only rakia for me is 'village rakia' distilled locally with loving care, and drunk with tomato or shapska salad in the company of Bulgarian friends.

I can taste it now, roll on the 5th September!!

Peter
The only rakia for me is 'village rakia' distilled locally with loving care, and drunk with tomato or shopska salad in the company of Bulgarian friends.

Totally agree, Peter.

One wonders how long the tradition will last (at least overtly) when accession to the EU takes place - I can't see the 'Eurocrats' missing out on all of that potential excise duty.

I hope that the slivi & grapes from my property will be wending their way to the village distillery in September/October.
Thanks everyone, I shall seek out the village rakia and salad and immerse myself in the true culture, or is that immersh "hic". The owner of the villa is a local and from reviews he and his whole family are very warm and helpful so I guess he will advise.

I was only kidding about Fosters Baldur. I've been to Oz and know about their views on Fosters. Tongue was firmly in cheek.

Thanks again everyone.
Hi pub dog if you are going to a villa owned by a local dont worry he will probably ask if you would like to try privat rakia just say yes and enjoy the experience along with salat the taste is brill so is the headache if you drink to much nasdrave. :roll: :roll: :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.