America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Sue you won,t go wrong with The Carriage House its just off the strip on Harmon Ave

great rooms ,most have kitchen ,you won,t get that at the hotels :)
stayed there a few times on our time share exchange,we fly out on May 23rd,staying at The Jockey Club on the strip
for 7 nights,first time there hope its as good as the Carriage House.
enjoy your holiday
annx
I wouldn't stay downtown for your first visit as you really want to be on or near the strip as that is where most of what you will want to see is.

We really like the Carriage House. It's in a quiet location, just 5-10 mins walk from the strip. The rooms are quite dated, but the facilities are good. The Platinum had room recently for $99 Sun-Thurs. Bear in mind that rates double or more Fri & Sat.

The Signature might suit you and it is about a 15 mins walk to the strip. All these have kitchen facilities.

Check http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/las-vegas and http://www.smartervegas.com for promo offers.

Also check http://www.ba.com as they had the Cosmopolitan for £79 recently when it was $180 booking direct. However when I checked last week it was up to over £120, but you would need to check your dates.

Yes there is a difference booking a cheap hotel as opposed to a more expensive one. The rooms are much nicer.

Where are you getting your prices from as you have quoted in sterling? You can occasionally get good deals on UK sites, but the best deals are usually direct with the hotel on an offer code.

luci :wave
Thank you so much for all your help Ann and Luci.

I have now booked the flight, hotel(1 night before dept) and airport parking for the week but still looking for a hotel for the week. So many to chose from.

Luci, the sites you gave me are much cheaper than the ones I had been looking at, I couldn't work out how most people on here seemed to be booking (what I thought) more expensive hotels, I thought you were all rich and I was poor :( ha ha :rofl .

I will let you know what ones I am looking at for some more input.

Thanks again for your help.

Sue x
What is your budget per night or for the week so that we can get an idea what might suit?

Hi Luci,

I have been looking at The Rio Suites. Found a deal for a deluxe room (including 2 free poolside drinks) for $568 for a week, commencing 24th May, for 2 people. I think this sounds like a good offer but I am sure I will be put right ha ha.

Are the Rio suites a good option? How far are they from the strip?

We are happy to pay upto $700 for the week for the right offer.

I found the deal through the link you sent me above (smartvegas) Is this site ok to use even though I am in the UK?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sue x
We like The Rio.

We have several nights there next trip and enjoy the spacious rooms. There is a fridge in the room too, which you don't find in many hotel rooms. The pool is OK, but the music can be loud at weekends.
Thanks pebbles, I saw your previous post about booking it and thought it must be ok. Which site did you book it through? I would like a premium room (not sure what the difference is between it and the deluxe) but it is slightly more than what we would like to pay for it but would stretch the budget if it was worth it. What room type have you booked?

Sorry, I have so many questions, we have never been to Vegas before. I have spent ages searching and just want to get it booked now.

Thanks for your help and assurance pebbles, have a great holiday.

Sue x
We usually book direct with the hotel because we have a slot card with them. We usually just book the cheapest available to be honest, if you sign up to receive email offers at https://www.totalrewards.com/index.shtml you might get some offers.

The Rio is quite close to the strip and there is a shuttle bus to and from either Harrah's or Bally's/Paris every half hour from 10 am to 1 am.
I was going to suggest going to http://www.caesars.com and clicking on Hot Deals, but I just checked and they are all higher than the rate you found.

Be aware that there is an additional 12% room tax on top of any rate you find.

I would suggest booking that rate as long as it is direct with the hotel and keep looking for something else. You will only pay one night's deposit which is fully refundable if you cancel up to 72 hours before arrival. Booking now will lock you into that rate and you can always change if you find something better.

Regarding Platinum, we have previously found the weekend rates to be very reasonable compared to the midweek rates, not double price like most other places charge.

We still have a cancellable booking for Rio for our first 4 and last 4 nights this Sept, with 4 nights non-cancellable at Platinum in the middle. We just love the Platinum. Can't fault it.
This is a very good offer considering the hotel has only been open just over a year.

Aria $129 + $20 resort fee with $50 daily credit. You can use the credit to pay for meals or services at the hotel

https://reservations.mgmmirage.com/bookingengine.aspx?host=promo&pid=930&code=AR4DX6A&kbid=755041&sub=en
Thank you so much for all your help and advice.

These are the hotels that we are looking at booking, any advice, suggestions will be most helpful:

Imperial Palace Luv Tub room $680.00
Rio Suites Delux room $528.00
Rio Suites Premium room $698.00
Flamingo Go Delux room $689.00
Circus West Tower King room $587.49
Stratosphere Strat Select room $641.00

We would really like a room/suite that has a fridge, near to the strip and no resort fees, although I know the above don't all cater for our wishes they do seem to be the best I can find that almost meets our needs and price.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thank you. Sue
SueDerbyshire wrote:
Thank you so much for all your help and advice.

These are the hotels that we are looking at booking, any advice, suggestions will be most helpful:

Imperial Palace Luv Tub room $680.00
Rio Suites Delux room $528.00
Rio Suites Premium room $698.00
Flamingo Go Delux room $689.00
Circus West Tower King room $587.49
Stratosphere Strat Select room $641.00

We would really like a room/suite that has a fridge, near to the strip and no resort fees, although I know the above don't all cater for our wishes they do seem to be the best I can find that almost meets our needs and price.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thank you. Sue

IP - no, definitely not. Not for a couple's first trip. It's an old property, the rooms are very basic and it's more suited to those on a very tight budget or a stag weekend. You can get far better for just a little more money. The Luv Tub is just a huge bath, no jacuzzi or anything.
I haven't stayed at the Rio, but have read that it is OK. However I personally wouldn't choose it as it's off strip and you would be reliant on the shuttle bus to get you to and from the strip.
Flamingo is definitely the one I would choose from your options, especially a Go room. Read nothing but good things about the room. The hotel is centre strip and close to everything. If you are lucky or attempt the $20 tip at check in, you might even get a fountain view room.
Circus Circus - no, definitely not. Very old, horrible place full of kids.

Stratosphere - No. It's at the far north of the strip and far from everything. Not an area to be walking in at night.

As for a fridge, you can either ask for one at check in which will cost about $10 or $20 a night. However if you ask the maid you could get one for the price of a tip, $10 or $20 would be appropriate seeing as you are there for a week. Alternatively you could ask for one at check in for "medical reasons", ie to store insulin.

I wouldn't stress too much about a fridge though. There are ice machines on every floor and an ice bucket in the room.

Are the prices you quoted without tax? Always quote without tax to get a proper comparison.

If they are, you can get the Flamingo Go Delux for $621 for your datesHERE

The Saturday night is a bit steep, but you have to look at the overall price.

It is also a Harrah's/Caesars property so no resort fees.

I agree with Luci.

I've stayed at the Rio a couple of times and really like it, however, for a first trip you want to be on the strip.
The GO rooms at Flamingo are definitely the ones to go for. I wouldn't stay at Circus Circus if you paid me! :D

Cheers

TC
Difficult one because I haven't stayed at any of those (yet). We will be at Rio in September (well have booked cancellable rate but will probably stay there). The only one on your list that has a fridge as standard is Rio. Other hotels should let you hire one, subject to availablity. At Rio you have a choice of shuttles (to Paris, Harrah's and Bally's), they all run regularly but not during the night. You also have Gold Coast next door (with cheap liquor store, good cheap buffet, and other cheaper dining offers etc, also Shuttle to Bill's on the Strip and Orleans further down and offstrip), and then there's The Palms across the road from Gold Coast, which is a younger place and more upscale (clubs and bars etc), and also a less regular shuttle to Fashion Show Mall and maybe Caesars (never used it so not sure).

I agree about Flamingo. Standard rooms are supposedly iffy, Go rooms look a bit 'pink' though and I think they look a bit tacky IMHO. However, they are also newish and should be fresh and hopefully clean. The pool is supposedly one of the best, so would be a good choice in that sense too. Avoid their buffet though, but there are other good choices nearby - Harrah's, Paris, Planet Hollywood, Bellagio to name a few.
I can confirm that the pools at Flamingo are nice....but VERY cold!! :tongue

TC :D
Thank you all so much for the information you have provided. This is what I am now looking at.

24th May for 4 nights Desert Rose Resort, mainly because the rooms have kitchens and are within a walkable distance of the strip.

28th May for 3 nights The Golden Nugget due to the fact that we will be attending a Punk Festival in the Downtown area and it will be more convenient if we are in the area. The Festival lasts 3 days.

I found the Desert Rose for £210.00 on Booking.com. (I have just gone on their own site and can get the hotel for £169.68, they are offering the 4th night for a penny) :cheers
Not looked at the Golden Nugett yet but hopefully booking tonight.

Any thoughts on all this would be really appreciated.

Thank you again. Sue x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.