America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I think most people just take a Taxi, though you could look at the Trip Advisor site as they have loads of info about getting from Airports to Manhattan. Look in their FAQ's

http://www.Tripadvisor.com
There are shuttle services that operate from the airports to Manhattan hotels.... this is a shared van ride that makes rounds of hotels so you may stop at a few before getting to yours. If you are traveling alone it is more economical to do this but if you are in a family group then just get a cab. Have a look at http://www.supershuttle.com you will see their blue vans outside- head for 'Ground Transportation' signs or book ahead. There are numerous companies that do this at all major airports.
Having used plenty of cabs when I was there I advised my parents against it as seems to be common practise these days. Booked them return transfers for £35
I am travelling alone to New York JFK in February. I saw these shuttle transfers on the NY website. Are you saying that it is best to use these rather than rely on Taxi's Taxi to Manhattan Times Square seems to be $45 plus tolls and tips. Shuttle seems to be around $13 or $15. Would you book this ahead or just simply go to the stand that you suggest?
Or would it be best for me just to take a taxi?

Many thanks Sue
I'm going to New York in the spring and have been advised by quite a few New Yorkers on the Trip Advisor site not use Super Shuttle because of it's bad reputation. In fact there was a whole thread devoted to the bad experiences that travellers had, I was going to use it purely because I am travelling on my own and the approx $60 that the taxi will cost seems pretty high for one person. Apparently you often have to wait quite a while for the shuttle pick up then you may be taken round to all the other terminals before heading for Manhattan, once there you may be the last hotel drop off which means that often it takes up to a couple of hours of riding around before reaching your destination. You don't have to book ahead though. If you are not in a hurry it's maybe OK but after a long flight this may be a bit too much.
Not everyones experiences are bad but overall there seems to be negative feedback about the company.
I always get the taxi. The shuttle is cheaper but takes a lot longer dropping off at a number of hotels, and if your last on the drop even longer. Taxi costs about $50 and its straight to your hotel so more time to enjoy the city. When you arrive at your hotel ask the door man for the return trip and he will book you a return in a town car or similar for the same fare.
I used the shuttle transfers nd found them to be excellent, they were there within 5 minutes of the girl at the airport phoning and we were at the hotel very quickly even though there were a number of drop offs before us. I read 36 reviews on a website about the shuttle service and only one was negative.
I wonder if you could tell me which web site you looked at as I would like to do a little more research before I make a final decision. I was definately going to use a taxi until your post.

Many thanks

Sue
CLick here for reviews

Each section has reviews. You want the Airport to Manhattan hotels bit.
We grabbed a cab upon arrival - can't remember exact price but I think it cost us something like $55 incl tolls from Newark to W49th St. You go to a booth opposite arrivals and they give you a ticket and price up front. Don't accept a cab from anyone in the terminal, they aren't registered cabs.

Coming back home we got a car from Carmel limo - http://www.carmellimo.com - we just booked on the day on departure and it cost around $50. They were prompt and the car very comfortable, I'd use them again.

Hope that helps.
Hi

Can anyone give me a rough idea on what time to leave New York to get to JFK Airport - our flight is 6pm just not sure what the traffic would be like and how long it wold take (its a Wednesday we leave)

Thanks

Jo
Jo

I would think about leaving the City between 2.30pm and 3.00pm. on a "normal" day it will take about 1 hour to get to JFK.

If it is raining allow extra time as taxi's are often in short supply!
Thanks for that Traveller

just trying to work out itineray and that - not going til april - hope it goes as quick as this year has gone

Jo
We were there at the beginning of the month and used nationwidelimo. It was a little more expensive on the way into the city cause hubby wanted an in airport greeting. Our plane was late but the guy had done his homework on the flight times and had adjusted accordingly. The driver was great, really chatty and informative. I'd booked in advance on the internet and had recieved a call from their office to confirm the booking, which I thought was a nice touch. It was $68 on the way in and $58 on the way out. I'd certainly recommend them and use them again.
I flew out from newark back to the uk, i caught the path train from ground zero to newark (changing trains once) it cost about $15 i think.

It is a nice way to see a bit more scenery but does get a bit cramped, it was ok for me as i was on my own.

I think this is one of the cheapest but a taxi is the easiest I think about $55 all in.

Also the shuttle bus company dont touch them booked a van 2 years ago a van pulled up over the road at our time would not let us in but would take us to jfk for double the price.
Can anyone recommend a service, reasonably priced and likely to turn up?
Yes, try this company - http://www.carmellimo.com/
Or you can get a yellow cab for a fixed rate of $45.
There are many shuttle services also that go from airports to Manhattan hotels, that will be a shared van ride but you may take a tour of hotels before you get to yours. If traveling alone this will be more economical but if in a group taxi or Carmel limo will be better.
I'm off in the morning and I will definately use a taxi from JFK to Manhattan.
Sue
Thanks, Ive booked carmellimo, for 8 people and 8 items of luggage, hope they turn up :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.