America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi

Can't help with your particular Westin, but I have stayed in 3 different ones (Vegas, Jersey City and Fort Lauderdale) and all were very good, so I'm sure it will be the same. Good standard of hotel, quite classy, expensive bar though and polite and formal staff. Helpful but not particularly fun I would say.

As for New York, have you thought about seeing a show, or maybe a comedy club? We went to The Ha a few years ago to a stand up comedy show. It was good. It was quite cheap, then a 2 drink minimum I think.

We have a faourite restaurant down near Greenwich Village, it's a brazillian style pizzeria, great pizzas and we love Caipirinhas so it really has what we like most. Might not be everyone's thing though. http://www.piola.it

You could go to Battery Park, go on the Staten Island Ferry (used to be free, might still be) and you pass by the Statue of Liberty but you don't actually stop at the island it's on, so if you want to get really close use the other boat. You could wander through Greenwich, along Canal Street (the area for 'gucci' etc bags). You can go up the Rockerfeller centre as an alternative to the Empire State. I would probably to Empire State and do that in addition though if you like.

Also, if you plan to shop, if you take the Path Train from 33rd to Newport/Pavonia there is a decent mall (Newport Mall if you want to google it), and a lot of stuff is tax free - clothes etc because there's no sales tax in New Jersey. This saves you about 7% compared to NY. Also, get a 10% discount card from Macy's, just show your driving license or passport at the customer service point and ask to sign up for the discount card.

It will probably be quite cold so wrap up very warmly! Might be an idea to plan ahead for restaurants a bit - we found ourselves wandering around looking for food and it got a bit annoying after a while.
i know everybody says must go up the Empire State Building....But the Rockerfella centre viewing point (top of the rock)is so much better less crowded better views,and you can have your picture taken with the empire state in the background.have a great trip
I would also choose the Rockefeller Center instead of the Empire State Building, the staff are friendlier and the price is cheaper, you can often get coupons which will give a discount off of the ticket price and it's an easy walk from Times Square.
Bloomingdales also give a discount card to foreign visitors.
I did the Empire state in the day and night but only did the Top of The Rock in the day, and both were amazing views and im glad i did them both.

Im going back again next month and i plan to do the Rock again in the dark this time to see the view at night from that side.

Times Square is amazing as well, i found myself just stood there for about 30 minutes just staring at the place, it really is like something out of a movie.

For a nice quick meal, like a steak/burger etc, Planet Hollywood on times square is not a bad place, its busy but you get seated quickly and there is a small bar area where you can have a few drinks and relax.
The westin is a fab hotel right in the centre of the centre of the centre of everything.
Possibly missed this OP but The Westin is built in to the E-Walks (cinema clubs bowling ) lots going on You have Shulas Steak House in the hotel for beautiful but expensive steaks and other meals.
BB kings blues bar& Lucille Grill tribute bands and legends (jerry lee lewis , chuck berry, Oleta adams) etc.Expensive Cocktail Bar on site hope you enjoy Your Stay in NYC. Come back and let me know what you think
btw

try to get higher room as possible the views are breathtaking
dont miss top of the rock miles better than empire state plus totr looks onto empire great photos from there
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.