Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:rofl
And you didn't even mention the visa carry on!!
I have to admit that members of the mod team did wonder why I would want to go to Goa after reading all the threads here. The beach shacks make the holiday for most and I think it is what many regulars would like to see in other countries. The beaches are lovely but you really do have to take care if swimming( haven't tried it myself). I've only seen one cow on the beach(no jokes everyone please :D ). Food is fabulous, prices are very cheap. I have escaped arriving in Goa on an international flight so we sailed through the airport( probably not the right term either!) There is something about Goa that makes almost everyone want to return. Have to say, that I did get an awful lot less hassle in Goa than my one trip to Turkey.
When were you thinking of going?
Hi Fiona,

January February sound the best time to go. Is that right? Your right I have only just started reading about getting the visa's!!! I do like the idea of going on a bit of an adventure. We like it quite lively, so I take it that its the North that I should be looking at. Not thinking of all inclusive as we like to eat out and food sounds like its the best bit.
Everything you've read is about correct. there are
other things that you can only find out for your selves. like how friendly the people are, how good the food is and how cheap. the beaches are fabulous and the beach shacks serve fantastic food.
ther's also the wildlife. if you decide to explore, you'll find loads of different birds like 5 or 6 different kingfishers. i've seen woodpeckers and alsorts of birds that i don't know!!!
yep, cows on the beach, but they don't harm anyone. in fact you can feed them if your carful.
If like the quiet life and relaxation, go to south goa. if you want to live it up a bit, go north.
BOB.
Dadooronron - Wendy

If you fancy a bit of an adventure try Goa. I've never been to the South but I we like lively and so always go to the North. We usually go over Christmas December/January, we've been in November and I went on my own once in March, didn't find any difference at any time to be honest.

Don't be misled by some of the negative posts on here - go for yourself and find out. We love the place and I don't think you will be dissapointed but it depends what you want.

You say you don't want to go All Inclusive because the food is the best part. CORRECT it's georgeous. You ask if you are getting cold feet or just not ready. Only you know if you are ready to try somewhere new no-one can tell you whether you're ready or not.

Book it and try it ....If you don't like it, it will still have been an experience but if you feel like the majority of people on this forum (me included) you'll be on here next year asking where the best cheap deals are to be found so you can go back again.

If you decide to go have a wonderful time - we always do !!!!
17th year this year so must be something going for it!!!, I have travelled to lots of places but still Goa draws me back. There is good and bad, but I relax the minute I get there. Cows on the beach are not a problem, they are part of the magic, you wouldnt believe how many photos I have of cows lying under sun umbrellas!!!!.
Give it a go, you will love it or hate it but at least you will have experienced it.
There's something addictive about sitting out the front of a shack at sunset watching a vibrant array of colours as the sun goes down, with your toes in soft sand. The word "shack" doesn't do justice to the thatched structures (many with tablecloths, woven flooring, swathes of fabric and cushioned seats) that house the experience. They serve a wide variety of drinks, snacks and some of the freshest meals (not to mention really good value), and are not as basic as they sound in many locations.

The odd cow just adds to the charm lol

There are beaches full of shacks, and near-deserted beaches with the odd shack. There is also a lot more to Goa than the beach. There are beggars and sellers, and sometimes it's rather hassly, but you develop your mechanisms for dealing with this. You can escape to other beaches where it's not really part of the experience. The markets are hectic but can be fun. There are inland areas where a tourist is a passing rarity. The bird-spotting is great (and I'm not a bird-watcher). I'm sure other people will have much more to add.
The usual reaction on first arrival(by us and friends we have taken) is OMG,what on earth have we come to? But within in a day or so you start to chill,fall into the relaxed way of life,find out how amazingly cheap and good the food and drink is and you wonder why you haven't been before!! But i bet like almost all of us on HT, you return again and again,We go for the 13th time in January and yes we do go to other places(Kenya,Gambia,Sri Lanka,Kerala and others) but Goa has that special something that draws you back. Try it,sure you will love it :cheers
The first time to Goa can be an assualt on all your senses as it is overwhelming in many ways..... sights (beautiful scenery but also very poor slums), sounds (lots of horn tooting!) smells (fantastic food and spices) but after a few days you slowly fall in love...... with eveything. :D

It is very different to Turkey but I would say it's far more laid back and chilled out.....and far cheaper... give it a go :)
In a weird way, it is all the things that have been discussed above which make somehow make Goa the special place it is!
We too have spent 5 years on the gullets in Turkey and all the things you love about the gullets you will find in Goa - fantastic food, relaxation, scenery and good personal service in the shacks and you get to know the people who run the shacks as well as you do the people who look after you on the gullets. If you like Turkey I am sure you will like Goa. As Fiona said you don't get hassled half as much in Goa as you do in Turkey, no one dragging you into their restaurants. We have been going to Goa now for over 10 years and are going back in December. The laid back feeling you get on the gullets is definately the same as the feeling in Goa.
and of course there are the busy HT meets to look forward to. You can get to know your fellow HTers and put faces to names. :D
Don't be put off by all us who like a whinge - we love the place really but there are aspects of Goa that frustrate after a while but it still calls us back every year!

We often ask ourselves as we walk along streets with potholes, piles of muck and cows, "Why do we keep coming back here? It's like a holiday in Beirut!" But it's not, really....great food, nice people, super beach life, keen prices. As someone on here has said, it becomes an itch you just have to scratch.

I agree with the others, give it a try. Don't expect too much and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks for all your replies, I think it has helped! I can recongise that love you all have for the place as it is similar to the feeling people have for Turkey (Olu Deniz in particular) a mutual understanding that only those that go there can understand.

As you all say I will just have to give it a try!

Thanks
hi daddoronron
i have to agree goa is the only other place i have come across like turkey where people have a real love for the place and have to keep returning,(we have done this with turkey for years)even when you read the turkey forums,Altinkum in particular,it`s the only other forum where people meet up and are really passionate about the place,people food etc.we swore on our first visit to goa that we would only go once and not keep going back like turkey,4th visit next year!
hi
i have been all over the world holidaying,and have lived in a few countries,but after the first time i came to goa,i fell in love with the place and go back again and again,pay no attention to the negatives it is nothing like as bad as what your mind can think up ,the people are friendly there is plenty to do there are lots of bars restuarants etc. not just the shacks but you will find you will love the shacks,the h.t. meets are a way of making new lasting friendships,there are some beggars but hardly enough to even take notice of,i will say try goa go to the north say calangute i guarantee you will be like the terminator and say i,ll be back
Gotta hold my hands up and say I have done my fair share of moaning about Goa - so why did I go back last November and again in March? Dunno really................must be something good about Goa :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.