Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
newby to poland
8 Posts
Hi Haggis

You can see my review of our trip last year on the following topic - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=131239&start=20

Any other questions - just ask!
You'll have a brilliant time, we loved Krakow :tup
Hi haggis - which part of the city are you staying in? It might make a difference to the restaurants we could recommend.

I stayed in the Jewish Quarter last year - Kazimierz- (and am going back there in 3 weeks) so I know a few of the restaurants there. Honey Pub in ul. Miodowa is good and very reasonable. I have seen lots of recommendations for Avocado (but haven't eaten there) -it's in Miodowa too. Ariel is good in ul. Szeroka.

If you are out and about in the day, it's nice to sit outside at a cafe in the main square (if it's not too cold): a bit more expensive, but still not what you would pay in Paris! Cheap food during the day can be found in Plac Nowy - you can buy something called zapiekanka which looks like a french bread pizza - dirt cheap from hot food places there.

Food is very reasonable generally -do try pierogi (sort of little dumplings, a bit like ravioli) which have lots of different fillings- meat or veg.

Lots of good bars and pubs - by the way don't say thank you when you hand over money for drinks etc or you won't get any change! Order your drinks, pay, and only say thank you when you get your change, and then you can leave a tip if you wish.

Corinne's report covered sightseeing pretty well. It's a compact city, good for walking about, and there are also small electric cars which you can hop onto for a tour if you wish.

Take some currency with you, and then there are lots of places to change sterling when you get there - called Kantors. I can't wait to be back there!!
Thank you for replies Meerkat we are staying in Kadetus Hostel which is a 5 minute from both the Jewish quarter and the main square.really looking forward to it now it's getting closer :clap :clap
One of the best city breaks we've had - absolutley loved it there - the people the food, the sights- brilliant!
Well we got back from Krakow on friday and what can I say absolutely loved it the weather was amazing as was the city must have walked for miles there, also took a tour in one of the electric cars driven by a guy called Greg who was a mine of information, went to Auschwitz and generally bummed around dropping into different little bars for food and drink, would definately visit again so glad I went :)
So glad you enjoyed your trip - we'l definitely be returning too :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.