Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I would be interested to hear how you got on

I've been flying out of Durham the past few months but destination choice (and the company flight booker!) sometimes forces me to use Hicksville International

Flew in on an Aer Lingus, great flight, 20 minutes early...fantastic...Hicksville will ruin this, and they did. Because of a 'logistical problem' the aircraft was forced to park up at a bay away from the terminal and we waited 20 minutes for a bus to come and pick us up and drop us off by Gate 1. They were unloading the luggage at the time which seemd quite positive. I made the short stroll to baggage reclaim and 45 LONG MINUTES LATER a few bags appear. I waited nearly an hour at Hicksville, compared to the 15 minutes at Dublin.

Its getting worse month by month and I dread to think how it will cope during the 6 week hols.

Its got a region by 'its bits' because Durham doesn't offer enough destinations, Leeds Bradford is no better than Durham and Edinburgh is too hard to get too at times...

God help us when Emirates starts...
JKKne, My letter was sent on 29 May, as yet no reply. Not surprised its a shambles. Will be in touch if I ever get a reply!! CBG
Acknowlegment from Airport today, thanking me for my opinons!! I do hope all affected people have sent their opinions in. My complaint letter is being passed on to Swissport?! (the baggage people)and they will reply to me. Lets see if they do. CBG
The airport has been in controversy (losing its Chief Exec in strange circumstances)

It continues to get worse and I assume its down to the complete incompetence of GroundStar and Servisair who insist on hiring temporary staff who are clearly not up to the job (50 minute wait for luggage from the Aer Lingus flight today!)
Hi,
Duplicate acknowlegment letter arrived today!!!!CBG
I've just read in the paper that the airport is getting a betting shop in the departures area

The irony isn't lost, always a gamble at Newcastle Airport.... :lol:
Theres only one Jurys next to the Rail Station over looking the river rooms from £55 a night a great hotel this one and a £10 taxi fare to the airport.

EDIT: Email address removed as per T&Cs
David HT Mod
Edit...how can Jurys possibly overlook the River Tyne when there's a multi storey car park, an arena, storage buildings and a great bloody bridge on ramp blocking it?!!!

Jurys is a ok hotel but there's equally decent Travelodges in the city.

As well as the Forumle One Hotel and Campanile that are around the Kingston Park Area

The airport is also about to begin construction of a Radisson Hotel on-site which must have the Britannia somewhat worried!
their should also be a travel lodge called the aviator across the road from the airport about 5 mins walk thought i would point it out to those who dont know .
In agreement with JKKne and calabonagirl about how poor Newcastle is these days.

Only thing going for it is that isn't a long treck from home.

We are still waiting for an acknowledgment about a complaint we had after my wife slipped and fell on the stairs after getting off a flight on 23rd June. The duty manager in the airport was rude and unhelpful at the time.
Rolled out a stock answer about health and safety being the reason they had the escalators permanently switched off forcing us to use the stairs which due to the rain my wife slipped on :evil:

Ridiculous wait times for Luggage reclaim, enourmous queues for security with only one person checking passports before you're allowed in to have your bag searched.

I have used Durham Tees Valley and LeedsBradford in recent years as i prefer both to Newcastle despite the longer drive. As an example, last May we landed at LeedsBradford at roughly the same time as my mam and dad landed at Newcastle, yet we arrived home at about the same time as they did as they waited an hour for their luggage and we sailed out of LBA into the car park and onto the motorway within 20 minutes of landing.
Anyone flown out from Newcastle since the new security measures were introduced this week? I'm flying out on the 22nd and just wondered if the drop off zone is still the same, how long security queues were etc.
(and this time I'm flying on my own so I ain't even got the hubby to bitch to about the crap service at the coffee counter :D )
so is there a total smoking ban at newcastle airport, can you smoke outside?? looks like it will be check in then outside for a few hours so we can have a smoke, which means we can`t have a few bevvies before we go.. can`t cope with 2/3 hours in departure then a 5 1/2 hr flight without a smoke...
:shock:
thanx

sharon
Sharon ... there is a designated smoking area immediately outside the main terminal building ... click here for more info.

David :wave
Just waited an hour for luggage from a flight from Bristol...

this airport is becoming a joke, it really is

HIRE SOME PROPER STAFF NEWCASTLE!!

I'm using Durham Tees for the summer months as I know Newcastle won't cope, even if it means changeover flights...I won't accept the awful conditions at Newcastle anymore
Just waited an hour for luggage from a flight from Bristol...

You probably don't realise how lucky you were !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My neighbour waited 2 hours last week.
This has been a problem for quite a while now. They have been advertising for extra staff, but unfortunately they are offering a pittance.
I wonder why people aren't queueing up for the jobs :roll:
Newcastle airport has gone down in recent months and it is a disgrace.

Robby :wink:
I haven't had a reply to my letter from Swissport yet. I wonder if it is worth sending another letter, I suppose I should for the sakes of my fellow travellers, will draft something over the weekend ( I'll wait for Saturdays post first ha Ha!!)
I've noticed Swissport advertising daily in the Chronicle and in a few other papers and websites for Newcastle staff (right next to an advert for Aldi...who pay more!)

I'm assuming this is the root of the problem, the airport is keen to grow but simply can't cope with any real sustainable growth
We are still waiting for an acknowledgment about a complaint we had after my wife slipped and fell on the stairs after getting off a flight on 23rd June. The duty manager in the airport was rude and unhelpful at the time.
Rolled out a stock answer about health and safety being the reason they had the escalators permanently switched off forcing us to use the stairs which due to the rain my wife slipped on Evil or Very Mad

In your situation, I'd be contacting Citizens Advice Bureau or maybe a solicitor's letter would make the company responsible look into it.
I sent my letter to Swissport at Newcastle Airport on Monday as yet no reply, will let you know if I get a reply. I said I would go to the press if they didn't reply to me!!! Well you never know it might work. CBG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.