Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
A few months ago I remember a comedian on TV suggesting how a barman should serve Michael O'Leary - 47p for a pint of lager, Do you want it in a glass, that's 50p extra, plus 10p for a head on it, plus 50p for not ordering online before you got here ....and so on.

I can take the broken down prices, it's the way some sites are so badly laid out and don't do it either clearly or efficiently that annoys me.

And what has happened at easyjet - the concept of just showing a clearly laid out timetable seems to have escaped them - now you have to get the weeks worth of meaningless basic prices just to find out whether they even fly on days and times that are of any use to you!

One benefit of broken down prices is that you can see who's telling porkies. Compare airlines on the same route and see what they come up with for Government Tax and airport service charges. Logically they should be the same, give or take a bit for currency conversion costs, but they can vary hugely.
I guess a No Frills airline is just that. You get a seat for your money, everything else is considered a frill :yikes

To be honest, in the past I have been on quite a few 1p flights with Ryanair which of course only includes hand luggage. What I do object to is Ryanair's online check-in charge, I have to pay to check myself in and use my printer to print my boarding cards :duh And as they have removed the option of using a check-in desk I consider the Online check-in fee to be compulsary and should be part of the base fare.

All other things such as hold luggage, meals etc. I do not need so I would rather have the option of not paying for what I don't intend to use.

It does seem like the airlines increase their add on charges every other week though, and I can understand why people who want the full monte must be getting a bit pee'd off.
I think I'd prefer to be given the top whack at the beginning, and then cross things off that I didn't need. At least I'd know at the start if I had any chance of reaching the price I'd consider/ afford to pay. We recently found a 4p flight, which eventually worked out at £67 - now that's ridiculous :think
I think it's a bit easier now than it used to be, at least you can click on the extra charges button and work out you need to add £80 to the quoted price!
But the £5 per person each way admin charges still rankle with me!
kate
That really rattled me too kate . But I will be armed next time I'm faced with that . You can get a pre-loaded card ( works as an electron) and pay with that .That's if Ryanair hav'nt done away with no charge for Electron which they could well of done by now . Theres a topic dedicatd to it on Martin Lewis Money saving expert website.

We don't take cases now on these cheapie weekend breaks (I'm too tight to pay the extra :rofl ) . We just have our wheelie cabin cases now . So much easier too. If we were going for a week or two though theres no way we would get away with just those.
You can get a pre-loaded card ( works as an electron) and pay with that

You may find some useful info and recommendations in our Prepaid Mastercard topic.

David :wave
to be honest, i like the way that they give you a base fare and then you can add on the optional extras.

when me and the hubby go to say palma, paris etc we tend to just take hand luggage which is great on a low cost airline as we are not paying for the hold luggage! for us that dont like paying for stuff we dont use/need (eg inflight meals) its a godsend!

would you be more attracted to a £250 fare one way to spain, or one that could cost as little as £70 because you've had the chance to take off the extra's they used to add on before?!

it is laborious going through to get the final fare, granted, but id rather do that for every airline and get the better deal, than pay a higher fare for things i dont want!

for example, i know a lot of people have a lot to say about ryanair, BUT we got a free flight and taxes etc and only had to pay the c/c charge of £8 each. so that was LBA-DUB return for less than what it costs to take the bus 10 miles. thats £4 each way! bargin and brand new aircraft!!!
I thought the OFT had already ruled they couldn't break down the price.

If they haven't I can see it happening before too long especially for using a debit card which costs them NOTHING to process as long as it is over a fiver.
The price of the flight they show on their site, is the price you can book the flight for, plus any booking/credit card fee.

Things like baggage/online check-in are extra, as it's up to you if you want them or not.
Helen

I think the OFT ruling was regards advertising (everything from the side of a bus to an internet banner) but not the ticket sales system. It only covers unavoidables, eg the fare and taxes, so luggage charges can be missed out (since you don't have to take any), card fees can be classed as avoidable if there is a free method available (even if you can't use it because you don't have the right card/account).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.