General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cant see these rules applying in Turkey Frank . Would this news just apply to the UK ??

We have purchased so much in our time , some good , some rubbish . Including several watches , Handbags by the bucketload, wallets , purses , Shoes, jeans , T shirts, sweatshirts, pants(all rubbish ) socks (excellent ) and belts .

A holiday in Turkey wouldnt be the same without spending a few quid on a load of fake rubbish .

lyn
Sorry but it is an EU thing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8215519.stm

The proposal is to fine not only the seller but those who buy them, holidaymakers would seem to be the easy target. I actually bought a genuine watch many years ago sold as a fake. But I also have several in the drawer that were not. Funny how we stick them in a drawer rather than throw them.

fwh

fwh
:rofl . We do that too Frank. Our house is littered with broken fake watches . They dont even make the drawer and are more commonly found on our window sills and in fruit bowls .

I took a couple to the repair shop recently and had straps mended and batteries replaced . They work a treat now so it is worth getting them repaired if it only costs a few quid .

Shouldnt affect Turkey then as they are outside EU and have no copyright laws :)
Well well . Always thought that was why they got away with it and been told that on many occasions :think
Oh no.......I first holiday to Turkey next year too, was hoping on getting allsorts :(
Remeber the time I bought a "Gucci" watch in Benidorm, it was gorgeous. Got home and wore it on my first flash me tan night out. :rofl Showed it to my mates and she practically wet herself laughing, it did not say Gucci, as I thought, but Cuggi. :( :( That'll teach me to buy stuff like that after too many san miguels. :whoops
Personally I don't know why people bother with high end designer labels, if you don't talk the talk and walk the walk everyone thinks they're fake anyway. :duh

I know a girl, a gypsy by birth, who got herself good qualifications and a very well paid job but as soon as she opens her mouth other women presume the £600 handbag on her arm is a fake when it isn't. :whoops
:haha I was taught not to talk with food in my mouth!!!!!!!! :rofl
CazzMicknTom wrote:
I talk with plums in my mouth!

It goes without saying that all HT members could carry it off. :tup

Well except me, I'm just the wrong shape. :rofl
Well they may be clamping down on designer fakes but I really don't think that it will do anything to increase sales of the genuine items - I know it won't for me. If you can afford the real thing, you would buy it. I'm a shopaholic in Turkey and just love buying the genuine fake handbags - what's going to happen to me, is there a place for me to go into rehab somewhere LOL??
got loads of TAT - but never paid anything decent for it!!
If I brought designer goods back from holiday, my friends and family would know they were fakes because I would not pay the money for the real stuff.I cannot tell the difference anyway, especially with handbags.

When we were waiting for a pick up in Majorca a few years ago, only one of a party of 15 Hens had her case stolen and guess what it was a Louis V! Goes to show that somebody knows the difference and I expect they thought if they could afford that, then what delights did she have inside? (but she only borrowed it!)

Give me good old Primark anytime!!!!
My DIL has a genuine D&G handbag £400 worth. :yikes on the way up to London on the train I told her to tuck it under her arm because it would attract attention from the pick pockets. Twenty minutes after we got there she went to make a phone call and her mobile was gone, fortunately it was insured but she still had to pay the excess.

My phone was sitting snug and safe in my little Travelon bag with its many safety pockets. :tup I could have brought 20 of mine for the cost of hers and its all leather, whereas hers is only some kind of material with leather trims.
I'm with GumbetJakki on this one - even if I won the lottery, I couldn't see myself parting with hundreds of pounds for something just because it had a "designer" tag. I'm a canny Scot - give me cheap and cheerful anyday! :D
Anyway, my daughter's friend and I both bought Chloe bags in Turkey last year - they're real leather and her friend has one of the real designer ones. You'd be hard pushed to tell the difference - apart from the price tag, obviously!
I'm not into designer gear myself, fake or otherwise but on a holiday to Turkey a number of years ago we went on a shopping spree for our sons. We didn't spend much but bought quite a few fake designer t-shirts and a football jersey each for them. We couldn't wait to see their faces when they saw the Liverpool and Man U jerseys. Not quite the reaction we'd hoped for when they put them on though, the Liverpool one had one sleeve longer than the other and the logo and number on the Man U were far from straight. Needless to say they weren't worn. The T-shirts were also poor quality and lost their shape after the first wash. I don't think I'll be taken in again. We're returning to Turkey next year, so it will be interesting to see if the quality's improved.
You do get a vast difference in the quality of the fake designer gear, to be honest, shirley. Like you, we've seen some very poor quality stuff, but on the other hand, we've bought some which have been virtually indistinguishable from the real thing. My son loves his football tops and has bought several - some of which are virtually identical to the real ones, bought from the official club shops. Sometimes it's worth paying a wee bit more for better quality "fakes" - and the moral is always to check before you buy. Also, if you find an item you like, especially in the markets - hang on to it, as some stallholders will show you the "good" stuff, only to swap it for lesser quality items when they put it in the bag. Shop around and check the quality carefully and you can still find good bargains which are also good quality.
Im a cheap and cheerful girl too. Dont think I would ever spend that sort of cash on a designer handbag ever. I sometimes object to spending over £40 on a leather handbag but thats another story.

I do remember buying aftershave in London from a street vendor - he had the suitcase and everything - and I still didnt think it wasnt genuine until I was on the coach coming home and decided, after talking to some of the other passengers, to open it and have a sniff. Oh dear, did I get swizzed or what? The best bit was while we (I was with my friend at the time) were choosing which one to have, a policeman came into view and the chap with his suitcase started packing up and ran away, we chased him - it was like something out of Only Fools & Horses :D . I cant believe I did it, my only defence is that I was a naive young girl and didnt believe that someone would rip us off like that. I certainly wouldnt get caught again.

We have brought CDs in the past from the looky looky men and we have always been really lucky with them but we dont really travel to places where they have any of them now.
The best place i've been is Patpong market in Bangkok, absolutely incredible, and great atmosphere, i got a Gucci wallet that still is in impeccable condition today, i got a rolex in phuket really cheap and its very convincing , they are the best at copying stuff out there like football shirts because they actually make the real ones there, they probably earn more money out of the fakes?
I also got a nice Cartier watch in Dubai and a local jeweller i know thought it was fantastic quality and great value when he took out a link from the strap , in fact he said the strap would cost more in england than i paid for the watch.
We also have bought tourist tat from Egypt as we go there every year , but this year a guide we had showed us how to check for inferior quality stuff. They do these lovely black statues but the cheap ones can be found by taking a lighter to it, they start to melt as they are made of resin , the real stone ones won't melt. so if i get harrassed by sellers now i'll just get my lighter out!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.