Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
'The ban also applies to Football on TV' - Fantastic! Why would anyone go to Goa to watch football on TV! I realise I'm not going to be popular with that statement, but I don't care!

While there are some great musicians in Goa I personally don't want to hear Neil Diamond, Chris Rea, The Eagles, Lionel Richie and a taste of the 80's. Last year it was dreadful the amount of bad imitations (The singers I mean).

Did hear some nice chilled jazz though.
...no more chilled jazz for you neil, at least not after 10pm!!

GFF xx
No music after 10 thats not very good, but this has happened before, then they slacken off the law and all is well again, thats what Ive seen happen before. Mambos, huh! I had bought a round of drinks and there was no alcohol in them!! my friend went for the same round after and the same happened, we did complain both times and got our vodkas, but happening twice, we,ve not been back.
  • Edited by bobbsy 2007-01-25 14:29:14
whats the place along baga creek that had music on sunday nights, I take it that is affected?

Also, is Deke and Stuart there this year, they will not be happy at this!
Baga Creek... Myona.

Haven't they had the no music law after 10 law for years? No one complained about this law it when It first started going there 6 years ago? That was the attraction for a lot of people, didn't seem to hurt tourism.
To keep the Goa forum from folding :yikes could we avoid corruption allegations please :D I have edited a few posts
Unbelievable :(

Mambo's is suffering and I've heard that David the owner is not a happy chap - he's on his way to court to get the ruling changed allegedly. Cubana's funnily enough is still open and doing a roaring trade???

Wonder if Paradiso in Anjuna is also going to suffer? they seriously don`t have a clue do they. I love a good party so long as it doesn`t affect anyone elses enjoyment, that`s what I do for a living (Dj), sitting in a bar chilling out listening to some nice music on a balmy evening ... bliss

The first time I visited Goa was for the trance music and the legendary parties, even then cops raided parties unless someone lined their pockets beforehand, now with new laws in place it seems that those higher up the food chain are skimming the cream off the backhanders.

Perish the thought of neon lit clubs stretching along the Goan coast but come on, 10pm is ridiculous (I`m just getting into my stride then). The raves are very few and far between these days and rarely any problem but I`m sure there is room for everyone with a little planning and thought. Noise limiters can be fitted to amps in bars and clubs which cut out if they reach a certain decibel level, these could be lowered even more in built up and residential areas. Outdoor parties could go ahead well out of the way of villages and be monitored by security for trouble (which never happens) and drug dealing.

This news has upset me very much, I don`t go to Goa for the raves now but because I love the place and people so much. I was saying to my Mrs the other day that this could well be our last time in Goa as I didn`t like the way things were going, this would definately make it my last trip. The people in charge of the tourist department in Goa need to take a long hard look at the needs of tourists, they should visit other resorts in different countries and see how things are run and adjust accordingly as to what they think Goa would benefit from.

They allow Taxi drivers to rip us off, they allow police and customs officials to take baksheesh in the airport, but hang on a minute, Music in bars .... How dare the tourists want music in bars and clubs :? They love taking the tourists money though.
Feel the vibe... I'm with a lot of what you say. Midnight would be a compromise at least.

What sometimes dissapoints me is that a lot of Goan's don't get the music thing even if it's kept 'controlled. I love music but most bars assume you want to hear UK music. I LOVE Buddha Bar, Cafe Del Mar, Chill Jazz (I write the stuff) and LOVE all that crossover Indian meets western fusion/ambient stuff. I've ended up putting on Indian CDs that I've bought in Panjim at some bars rather than listen to Chris Rea. I liked most of the chilled music in bars in Anjuna (not trance).

I was at a Rave in Anjuna back in 2001 for the experience, not my scene and yes the noise was a distrurbance to the local villagers with kids walking into school tired.
Compromise is the key word Neil, but they don`t seem to grasp that concept at all. You seem to like similar stuff as myself in the chilled out department :wink: Talvin Singh and Nitin Sawhney being a couple of favourites, my what good taste you have apart from the trance :lol: . You reminded me of a time I was sat in Tin Tins in Vagator one evening and he played a very jumpy scratched cd of Scooter on a loop for most of the night, being a dj, ENOUGH was ENOUGH and I jumped up to save the day with a Zakir Hussain Tabla cd 8)

Their idea on what Western holiday makers consider music does make me giggle to myself :lol: and yeah your right about the poor kids going to school in the morning after a full on night of pounding bass, something had to give eventually, but in reality the communities of Anjuna and Vagator owe a great deal to these parties as they brought in a lot of revenue during their heydays.Some made a great deal more than others out of it but such is life.
Lets hope some kind of common sense prevails here otherwise I fear a big mistake will be made. On one hand they are gearing up for mass tourism from Europe i.e dare I say Benidorm brigade but I don`t think they realise that Benidorm or any other major resort in Europe is based on night clubbing and drinking till the early hours (mostly) .
On the other hand cutting out music after 10pm will deter many people, might sound good to most of us but I doubt that is what the Tourist people in Goa actually want. Sounds like they are a bit confused as to what they do want to me :roll:
We came back last Sunday and were in East meets West in Baga on the previous Thursday and music went off at 10.30pm sharp! Driving back to Candolim though some bars were still blasting out!! I thought it was because of the upcoming elections taking place this week and things would soon be back to normal???
Feel The Vibe.... I'm a HUGE Zakkir Hussein fan... seen him 3 times!
I remember getting the cassette tapes in 1998-'Space' especially was a good one!
No football !! oh-dear will really spoil our hols :( .
I don't think :lol: .
no strangely Mayonna's was not affected by the music curfew this week, not sure why??
chilly
Feel the vibe... I'm off to Goa next week. I'll give some trance a try if you can recommend anything. Nothing too hard-core! Chilled out please not bangin! If I can get it in Goa.

You'll laugh at this... I have a long time friend in Goa who is originally from Calcutta, he's a very cool dude. I asked him what kind of music he was into, he said ... "Hard Core Trance preferably from Israel", I said any other music? "Yes... Celion Dion" ???? :lol:
Well big Neil and Feelthevibe, I don't think I would be missing you type of music if they where turning it off at ten???
Today is Republic Day in Goa - usually they organise a big party on the football pitch in Calangute with Loud, Live Music........I wonder if the police will turn a blind eye (or ear) to that??

GFF xx
Nobody knows how long the current crackdown on amplified music will go on. Elections aren't due until May, so that can't be the reason. Some places (such as Mayona's) are able to stay open later as they claim to play acoustic music with no amplification.

Of course there is a need for a law to control when music can be played, as tourism in Goa developed without any real planning, so there are nightclubs in residential areas, bars next to schools etc. And, as others have mentioned many Goans seem to think that good music must be loud music. But everyone agress that 10 o'clock is too early to finish.

What will probably happen is that people will gradually keep the music going a little longer each evening, so that the deadline is gradually pushed back to when it used to be (which was vaguely soemtime around 11:30 to midnight) as the police do not have the manpower to continue to enforce a 10 o'clock shut down.

Some of us might enjoy the peace and quiet for a while, but there is no doubt that this is very bad for tourism, and not a long term solution.
I love the cafe del mar type music. Its not loud and intrusive, just chilled out and ambiant!

I like it played at the beach shacks. I'm gutted to hear this news :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.