Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
To be perfectly honest the Cypriots make their own law up as they go on. I fear this will not change anything. My daughter is a UNI student, when at home she works in a greek cypriot chip shop. It is spotless and they are tyrants for hard work out the girls, but equally smoke behind the scenes in the shop itself. They have a seat and table behind the serving counter out of view with the back door open, and smoke blatantly. All they get is a £25 fine, nothing to them :yikes
This isn't a new law either....

It was actually brought in last year but was conveniently ignored.

One bar we go to, made people go outside under the canopied area to smoke. They all complained and said they wouldn't come back again. Next day, all was back to normal and smoking was allowed once more.

Here, a cup of coffee and a cigarette go hand in hand. I cannot wait to see how they are going to try to enforce it.

On an island where the cars all creep over the traffic lights, no children wear seat belts, mothers are generally seen either applying their makeup in the rear view mirror, chatting on their mobile whilst turning onto or off the main road, rummaging in their bag on the passenger seat or talking to the child who is standing up between the 2 front seats of the car, only tourists seem to use motorcycle crash helmets, parking is rarely on the roadside - they use the pavement instead and red lights are generally ignored when turning left, I think no smoking is the least of our worries, don't you?

We had traffic cameras installed a couple of years ago and suddenly they were all removed. Apparently, after spending thousands of pounds on them, they "didn't work properly". Rumour had it that there were so many fines coming in and as this is a relatively small island, almost everyone knows everyone in a roundabout manner, the poor traffic cops were getting berated left right and centre by relatives - it all became too much to cope with.

It should all make for some fun entertainment anyway :D

This, from today's Cyprus Mail:
**** edit to remove copyright matirial**** wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.