Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Noise Cancelling
18 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are only available to business/first customers.

I have my own and they are great and you can plug them in to listen to aircraft movies.
Where did you purchase them from Judith, only I would be interested in a set. Are they expensive?

Thanks, Doe :)
Unfortunately the ones I have I bought in the USA and they are no longer being made. They were called Noisebusters and made by a firm called NCT.
I did a lot of research before buying, I had travelled Business Class with Singapore who were providing them for the passengers in this class and I realised what a big difference they made. I believe they were BOSE ones, but at almost £300 for a set I didn't want to take out a mortgage to buysomething I would not be using that often. Over the last few years a lot of firms have brought out their versions but some aren't very good and the prices range from reasonable to ridiculous.
I have read reviews on the ones made by JVC and they seem to rate them highly. I have no idea how much they cost though. I have seen BOSE and other makes on Ebay. You may like to search out some newer reviews on the net as I have had my earphones for about 5 years now and there may have been some updates since then.
  • Edited by Judith 2007-04-05 18:23:28
Bose Quiet Comfort models 1,2, &3 are the best on the market, unfortunatley also the dearest. The model 1, the oldest, can be picked up on ebay for around £100 for a nearly new set, but model2 & the newest 3,you are talking £250 upwards. I've used the oldest, model 1, for years and have just bought another on ebay as mine were getting tatty but as I only use them when travelling £100 is as much as I,m willing to pay, but for use inflight they are worth every penny of that Alan
Sony product NW-S706
Sony mp3 with noise cancelling earphones

This mp3 model comes with noise cancelling earphone, dont know if these could be used
BOSE Quiet comfort were probably the first and are excellent, my travelling companion has a pair of model 1 which cost her well over £200. I have tried them but don't find any discernable difference to mine that cost less than a 1/3rd of the price nearly 5 years ago. As with a lot of firms you are paying well over the odds just for the name. I have tried the Sony ones and wasn't terribly impressed.
Though as I stated earlier you can often find them on eBay but don't pay over £100.
Thanks for all your replies. I had no idea they were going to be so expensive :shock: even 100 pounds seems a lot to me. No wonder its only 1st Class passengers that get them. :roll: I only have 2 or 3 flights a year, so I might have to put up with the noise, and just close my eyes until I arrive.

I can imagine they would be a real boon for frequent flyers and business travellers. :D
I fly 3 or 4 times a year so I suppose I'm a semi-frequent flyer. I just use standard full-size headphones which do the job for me. I can't be doing with the ones you put in your ears, they get uncomfortable on long flights. Full-size ones are more comfortable and cut out aircraft noise to a degree but just turn up the volume on the IFE and all you hear is the IFE, no aircraft. You can get a decent pair for £20-£40 so are over 1/2 the cost of noise cancelling. I have tried a pair of BOSE Quiet Comfort 2's which are good, but once you turn the volume up on whatever you are watching / listening to, I couldn't really tell the difference.

I've had mine for about 3 years now, I think they were about £30 from Argos. Something like these.

Darren
My noise cancelling headphones are over the ear ones and I find a big difference, I often wear mine switched on but without playing any music or videos and they certainly cut out a lot of the background aircraft noise which allows me to doze.
Me too Judith, I also have mine switched on with no music etc playing.

My Sennheiser headphones are brilliant for cutting out a lot of noise.
I use Sennheiser PXC 300 Headphones with active noise cancelling and they are very good and not nearly as expensive as the £150 + Bose models.
If anybody is looking for noise cancellation headphones ALDI have them on offer for £19.99.

I have just bought a pair for my OH and they seem to be very good value, they come with a travel pouch and an airline adaptor.

I will see how they compare to my Sennheiser PXC 300's in a few weeks when we go to Tunisia, but they initially appear to be a good buy :tup
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6423.htm
Kiltman-Graham,

Thanks for that, I think I'll go and have a look at them tomorrow.

Darren
Hi Darren

Did you go and look at the active noise cancellation headphones in ALDI ? if so what did you think of them ?

Graham
Kiltman-Graham,

I've not had chance today with work comittments. I'll definately be passing tomorrow so I'll bob in. I've looked at the website and they read ok.

Darren
Kiltman-Graham,

I picked a pair up this morning. I'm quite impressed with them so far. Sound quality seems to be ok, plenty of base and clear. Not sure of the noise cancelling properties yet, I'm not flying on a commercal jet until August so I'll try them then. I'm flying on a 1940's DC-3 Dakota next week and I want to hear the roar of the twin Prat & Whitney Wasps so I'll not be trying them on that flight! I like how they fold in to their little leathertte case, perfect to storing in your hand luggage. Thanks for letting us know.

Darren
Not sure of the noise cancelling properties yet

Being a bit sad I sat and played with them with the TV turned up :oops:

:offtop
I'm flying on a 1940's DC-3 Dakota next week

That will be a fantastic experience getting to fly in this old workhorse, I wish it was me.
As you will know the DC-3 / C-47 is still in service in many parts of the world which is a credit to the designers & builders.

Please post pictures when you can.

Graham
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.