Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Graham, I have the answer, move south. The weather might not be much better at the moment but the airports are more convenient for escaping to Greece!

:yikes
I have checked out flights via Athens to Santorini next year with Olympic. The price was £165 single trip which in the round isn't too bad but Mrs Greekofile was put off with the night flight (10.15pm) and the couple of hours in Athens arriving Santorini mid morning next day. Ah well!! :bow to the missus
We have had a wonderful 2 weeks on Skopelos back in June. We first visited the island way back in 2001 and had always wanted to return. I must point out here that Mamma Mia had no influence on our decision at all! :)
The Euro has had an effect on our spending money but to be honest it wasn't as bad as we expected. We were staying bed and breakfast and budgeted £1,000 in spending money (including our car hire) and did not need any more cash during our stay.
I am returning to Skiathos shortly for 2 weeks and the Pound seems to be gaining in strength against the Euro even more now.
I can understand families looking to go to the Carribbean or Turkey because of the exchange rate but they will never have the same magic as Greece!
Another reason visitors may be staying away has also been mentioned.............Flight prices. Since 2003, i have been travelling independantly to Kefalonia, staying down in Poros where no tour operators go. This year is the first year i have not been able to go. Flights from my local airport were £351 :yikes :yikes , my accommodation would have been around £410 because of the exchange rate and the return taxi transfer about £120.
This would have made the total cost of our 2 week holiday £1,252.......before we had anything to eat or drink! Add on say, £1,000 spending money and you can see why people would be tempted to the Carribbean! :que
John
We had a wonderful holiday in Kenya back in may/june but we just had to have our greek fix, so we are going back to Kefallonia again in september staying at the Waterside apts in Agia Efimia. Going DIY for the first time so I hope it all goes ok.
Richcoll you lucky thing. I love Agia Efimia. Was it cheaper to do DIY to Kefalonia?
HI everyone.

have now booked flights for 2010. Manchester to Santorini via Athens £170 and return from Crete 3 weeks later with easyjet £50 so, although more expensive thatn return flight to crete it's made our itinerary easier to put together. Intend Santorini, Karpathos, Agia Pelagia (Crete). Some long ferry rides but just the two of us so no kids or companions to whinge at the travel and waiting.
Thanks to all who have subscribed to this article and thanks
Hi Pargaluvva, short answer is no it is not cheaper. Because we were going to Kenya I did'nt want to book another holiday before we went but I was looking a flight prices and I could have booked them for about £200 less than we paid. Such is life! Anyway the good news is we are going in 5 weeks time. We stayed at the Gonatas last year and paid about £750 for a b and b package and this year it is costing £900 plus carhire for a week for selfcatering. We have visited a few Greek Islands but Kefallonia is our favorite and Agia Efimia is our favourite resort this will be our second visit and hopefully there will be many more. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.