Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
We have been once already to Symi this year and the usual May mob were there. The September visitors' list is about the same as usual as well. We will be venturing back to Crete in October for the first time in 15 years. I do hope it's still there and nobody has moved it lately.
Very noticable lack of Brits in Tolon this year, only 80 seats occupied on the flight. This may have been down to the demise of Kosmar/XL who were big in the Peloponnese. We thought prices were around the same as last year, car hire 180e for 6 days, petrol 98/110 ltr., meals with house wine around 30e. Fish was the exception, last year 40e/kg. this year 50. Overall the total holiday cost hasn't really changed. Be interesting to see how other destinations are doing.
Yeh Santorini had a severe lack of Brits this summer in comparison to the years before. I think that was mainly down to a demise of Kosmar though. Thomas Cook are the only tour operator of a decent size to go into Santorini now.

Hopefully this will change. I dont think the poor Euro rate actually affected my spends this year, it was only a little bit more expensive than the year before. Greece will be back!
Hi all. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of postings for Greece? Why? Are people not going to Greece because of the poor Euro rate
?

I, for one aren't posting looking for advice as we've booked for the Caribbean this year. Purely because of the better value due to the Euro. We went to Crete last year and love the Greek islands but until the rate improves I'll have to give them a miss. We've already booked for Turkey next summer.
Dosen't the Caribbean work out more expensive than Greece? I know most trips here are A/I but we chose to go self catering and found it expensive
TBH, considering the price we pay for our package and the amount of spends, we find them roughly the same. When we go S/c to Greece, we don't actually self cater but eat out every day. Last year in Crete it cost a fortune for Air conditioning (which you get free in the Caribbean) and we spent quite a bit more than in previous years due to the euro/sterling rate. We had a really good deal for AI in the Dominican Republic, which will leave us no worse off than if we went to Greece. Admittedly, we chose this over our beloved Greece but we will return once things have settled down again.
I fully agree about the cost of aircon in Greece, ours was 8e a day in a studio this year. Our total holiday cost was around £2000 for 2 weeks, although S/C we only eat out also.This included a stay on Poros and a performace at Epidavros starring Helen Mirren. We have tried Turkey a couple of times, its spectacular, but we get fed up with the constant hassle to 'eat here & buy this'
Had BIG birthday this year and even bigger anniversary in October so been elsewhere. It seems strange and disrespectful to Greece not going there for the first time in 20+ years. Been looking at flight only to Santorini next May but Thomas Cook want £296 EACH one way. No other flights out yet and need to get on with it, other alternative is with Olympic via Athens which takes a long time and comes in at £160 each. Return flights to Crete however come in at £165 so it's a no brainer really - just wanted a straightforward run via Karpathos on way to Crete. Whatever we plan to DIY - can't see why real Greece lovers aren't going this year it's a shame. :que
Surely Thomas Cook are having a laugh, thats a ludicrous price. You could do one way to Oz for that money!
I didn't find it amusing anyway. Guess they want the FULL hloiday tourist on their planes. :rofl
We are booked for Lefkas in a couple of weeks. Some friends thought they might join us but when they looked at the cost of a flight (£590 for the 2 of them) then the cost and hassle of finding accommodation they decided not to bother. I think a package for 2 weeks SC was something like £1600. :yikes
we went to Kos in may, Kahdamina was quieter than usual thats all nationalities but our hotel we had plenty of Brits but very few Germans [the hotel usually has a 50/50 mix]

we are not going back this year the pendle witch fancies a change from Greece and yes it has and will cost more but our second holiday will be Cyprus

yasus
wizard
Going to Zante Sept staying in Tsilivi,Daisy studios,i have heard that there is a lot of building work going on around these apartments,has anyone stayed at these apartments recently, and was there any work going on while they were there.thanks. Ben.
I think a package for 2 weeks SC was something like £1600.

and that's before you start spending on basics like food.
Spoke to my friend the other day, they are definitely not coming to Lefkas with us because of the price. Said they can get a week SC in Zante for around £250 each, Lefkas between £700 and £800. My other friend is going to Turkey because it's a euro free zone but I'm sure the Turks will hike up the prices to compensate :rofl .
Hi Pargaluvva
No Greece this year for us either :cry

Going to a 4* All inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in September for less than £700 each for a fortnight.

As I have mentioned on HT before there is a real lack of choice of destination if from Scottish airports now, if we want to go to one of the big islands we are ok, however if one wants one of the smaller more typically Greek locations this involves going to either Manchester or elsewhere.

Not been to Parga for 2 years and going to the Maldives next year so won't manage then again either :(
Graham
Life dosen't sound too bad Graham!!
Most of the smaller less commercial Greek islands are available via Athens either by smaller aircraft or ferry. I expect your local airport caters for this route.
Hi RDV

You now can't fly to Athens either, Easyjet and the like have dropped this route so there are now no flights at all to Athens, not good.
Graham, I have the answer, move south. The weather might not be much better at the moment but the airports are more convenient for escaping to Greece!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.