Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
Hi djwoody. I think folks won't be heading off to the island this summer in the numbers they used to. I read an article a few days ago, that said as a 'family holiday island', relying big-time on those families has been very bad for many hotels on Ibiza. Some cater only to UK families too. The same article said some hotels were 50% down in bookings. If you look at many of their websites there seems to be a lot of special deals in the months you wouldn't expect them ie July, August and September.

The interesting thing was though, singles seem still to be booking up although mum, dad and the kids aren't.

I feel very, very sorry for those hoteliers many of whom will have become friends to folks here, myself included.

Bill
chatted with a few people the other day.who are single again like me.and yes they are still going away.a family i know are going to skeggy.not for the weather but they say they can get a better deal staying here than going to say spain.with uk supermarkets doing cheap food items.ok its a caravan.but it has all they need.sky/dvd/pc set up.and with beer deals they will stop in a few nights.

shame but times are hard for most of use.
hi woody we're still goin over this year - i priced up stayin down Cornwall for a week in july - £850.00 sc and then decided to go over to ibiza and got 2 weeks in Santa for £602.00 so it's still pretty dear over here if ya not careful - and the weathers usually bettrer over there!
To put things in perspective,we went to Ibiza in 1990 during the last recession and many hotels had closed down all June.
Hi djwoody

We're not going this year,the price for Bahamas hotel,where we usually stay was going to be £800 dearer this year than it was last,apparently Thomsons have pulled out.We have booked Cyprus instead.
i think the Bahamas is private booking now.i was told thomas cook was going to be doing it.thomsons pulled out the other year.with it not begin a fiesta hotel anymore.
Well all the bars are getting geared up for people going to Ibiza - wether people turn up or not is another question ! Everybody was out painting and cleaning last week in San An bay.

Talked to a couple of bar owners and they are trying to cut back a little, shutting at 2am this year instead of 6am to save paying for staff.

John
Can't imagine not getting my annual fix of Santa Eulalia so we are going as usual for two weeks at the end of May. Booked the Don Carlos hotel around 10 months ago and it wasn't any more expensive than last year then. After two years of DIY apartment holidays we are back to half board at the hotel as even with the better exchange rate last year we spent around £600 more (2 of us) and that wasn't even going mad! Can't imagine how expensive this year self-catering would be! By the way, the Don Carlos seems to be fully booked at the moment for the weeks we are going although compared to earlier years it took longer to get booked up. Can't wait!!
Don Carlos seems to be a popular hotel this year.wether its people just having a change or might be having a change of resort
im dissapointed to hear that many families wont be going this year.

our kids are 4 and 11 and it wont be the same if there isnt the usual numbers.

we just have to make the best of it, but bars and funparks shutting at 2 instead of 5 in the morning is a great idea to cut back on paying staff.

not so good for the staff though.
We're going for the first time this year :)

usually go to Mallorca, but fancied a change.
Like ncd72 said, pricing up hotels in UK/Channel Islands is just as expensive as going abroad......

We're going to the Grupotel in Santa Eulalia
Didn't fancy the Thomson Gold as we work mostly with old people, and actually enjoy seeing children having fun!
Liked the look of the Don Carlos, but wanted a fridge in the room to store food/drinks etc. for picnics.

The price for all the hotels in S. Eulalia has come down by about £20 each for 2 weeks since we booked in March (according to Thomson website), so that's not really a significant change.
Grupotel in Santa Eulalia /i did not know they had a fridge in the room.?.you sure about that.funny just had a look.on one site they say no on another they say yes

The comfortable rooms come with an en suite bathroom with hairdryer, a direct dial telephone, satellite/ cable TV, a radio, a double bed, carpeting, air conditioning, a minibar/ fridge, a hire safe, central heating and a terrace with partial sea views. The suites are similarly equipped but also include a separate living room/ bedroom
oh well, Thomson's site says the grupotel rooms have minibars....

we didn't have any choice of room type/upgrade ......
(actually booked via TO in the High Street.....complete with online price...)

Hope we don't get an UNcomfortable room
let's hope for the best ;)
Acorncup, let us know what you think of Ibiza and Santa Eulalia after your holidays in Majorca. I sometimes wonder if you end up preferring the island you go to first if you know what I mean. Although it has the same kind of landscape, Ibiza is so much smaller and sometimes people are disappointed after Majorca. Ibiza has certainly got under my skin though and I hope you get some of that magic too!!
I am going this year after a 9 year absence! I've been seven times in the past, twice as a kid and five times between leaving school and age 25.

My g/f has only been once and that was with her family when she was little, so we are pretty excited as we both used to be regular clubbers and although we don't go out too much these days cos of work/age/need for sleep/etc, we are both very much still into the music and are looking forward to a 'chilled ibiza'..lots of sun, meals and chilled bars... and if we're in the mood a couple of clubs..maybe ??

We've been mainly going to the Greek islands and Cyprus for the last 7 years so I am really keen to see how much Ibiza has changed since 2000, and I'll definately be popping back on here to get all the info but we're off to Ayia Napa first in June so I keep getting told off for talking about Ibiza before we've even been to Cyprus :que
Hi
Its 24 years since I clubbed in Ibiza and we are trying it this year as a family. Got a free child place in the summer hols for a 13 year old -half board in a hotel. The price was excellent and even if we manage to spend about £200 a day still cheaper than wher we like sc in Majorca :)
Hi, just booked two weeks in the Ereso 27th July, its our 6th year and we can't wait. By the time you have paid for somewhere in this country, paid for meals, day trips, cinema and bowling because its to wet and to cold to do any out door activities, you may as well pay the extra and go to the sun, where the kids are happy to be in the pool all day.
Hi we too are off to Ibiza in 3 weeks for the 1st time, second for my daughter (13) two weeks all inclusive San An Bay £1400 (bargain) hopefully not too quiet or will have one bored teenager :yikes
Just posted to agree as there hasn't been a post on the forum for more than 3 days........

Quiet - I should say so.

John.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.