Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
El Gouna

Excellent choice in my opinion

http://www.elgouna.com/

None of the passengers I've flown back from the resort have ever had a negative word about the place. Having stayed there 3 times, I certainly agree with them too.

is poverty the same in Red Sea Resorts?

Egypt is certainly a developing country but there have been improvements in living standards particularly in the main cities of Cairo and Alexandria. The Red Sea resorts are pretty much in a class of their own, where standards are much higher as their sole purpose is to cater for the needs of the international tourist. I'd say Hurghada is a bit of an exception as the place is split into the resort area on one side and Hurghada town on the other where local people live and work.

So in short, no, there is little (if any) poverty in the Red Sea

do you have to tip everyone in sight?

Most tourists travel to Red Sea on all inclusive packages so all should be covered. I'm sure waiters, bell boys, etc would appreciate a tip if you're happy with their service though.

do you have to haggle and do you get hassled by taxi drivers, shop owners etc?

Yes you still have to haggle. It's all part and pacel of the 'Egyptian experience'. In the larger international chains like restuarants or supermarkets, you simply pay the price shown.

Are prices generally the same in restuarants or dearer?

When compared to Luxor you mean? In general prices in the Red Sea are higher than the rest of the country but still very modest by our standards.

And are the temps around 30 deg? as I can cope with that,

The peak season in the Red Sea for European tourists is between November and April (but its pretty much a year round destination nowadays). I personally think that October is the perfect time to visit the Red Sea as its still warm but not too hot during the day and neither is it chilly in the evenings.

oh and do any of the hotels have slides, not for me but my son!

Most hotels have excellent kids' facilities at their swimming pools. I think Hurghada also has an water park.
Thanks for that Vyker. Most of my questions answered. It does look really lovely. Only problem now is which hotel to choose. Any recommendations?
thanks
We are off to Hurghada on Wednesday 1st time to egypt, the hotel we are staying in Grand Beach Resort has quite a few pools and its sister hotel over the road has some, also it has a private beach with 2 water slides which is great as our kids love them. looking around quite a few of the hotels seem to have slides, will let you know how it went when we get back at least we are escaping the rain :lol:
oh thanks!
Can you enquire about weather end oct. Have heard it gets windy and is quite cold in the pools and sea at that time. Not what i was expecting with temps 30deg in the day!
Have a lovely hol.
SJ
Hi SJ
We went to Sharm half term week Oct 2005.

The sea was warm, the first four days we had lovely weather, very hot but comfortable with the sea and pool to cool down in!! Temp in Naama Bay at night 24 degrees :D

Never needed a cardi or anything at night, lovely by the pool for an evening drink, it does get dark around 5pm though!!

For our last couple of days the temp soared it was very, very hot!!!

Hope this helps,

Daisymayx
Thanks for that Daisy, wondered if Sharm would be different. Will have to think a bit more about it now.
sj
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.