Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi ozzmeister,

Currency exchange - I have been advised by the travel agent to take a mixture of lev and DOLLAR travellers cheques rather than Sterling/Euro. I was also told that dollars are accepted currency in Bulgaria. Is this accurate? Also where is the best places to change travellers cheques, are there banks in Bulgaria that wont rip me off!!

I suspect that the travel agent is more concerned with their commission, rather than you being 'ripped off' - see this thread, particularly my post on page 14, which gives current exchage rates in Bulgarian high street banks. Dollars ARE NOT accepted in Bulgaria, so you would be caught with two lots of charges, for buying them here AND for changing them there. You are also likely to be stuck with high charges on Travellers Cheques.

Baldur
Thanks im just concerned about taking a large sum of money with no protection (ie not taking travellers cheques). What is your opinion on this.

If i were to take travellers cheques what sort of %charge can i expect, what would be the best currency to take them in and would i need to take my passport to change at the crown bank or would a drivers licence be sufficient?

I also have another question. I have been reading on another forum that a guy experienced a mugging in Sunny beach and this common nature. He has advised to purchase pepper spray when out there - is that a tad extreme or was he just unlucky?
Thanks im just concerned about taking a large sum of money with no protection (ie not taking travellers cheques). What is your opinion on this.

I have never & never will take travellers cheques.

If i were to take travellers cheques what sort of %charge can i expect, what would be the best currency to take them in and would i need to take my passport to change at the crown bank or would a drivers licence be sufficient?

1. Have you actually read the thread to which I linked in my last post? All of your questions are answered in it.

2. The Crown Exchange booths are NOT banks, they are private bureaux de change, which usually offer lower rates then 'real' banks. You would require a photocopy of the photograph/details page of your passport for real Bulgarian banks.

I also have another question. I have been reading on another forum that a guy experienced a mugging in Sunny beach and this common nature. He has advised to purchase pepper spray when out there - is that a tad extreme or was he just unlucky?

More than a tad extreme - I couldn't say that muggings never occur, but they are certainly not commonplace - the resorts are pretty heavily policed in the tourist season. Buying pepper spray is more likely to lead to you seeing a Bulgarian cell from the wrong side of the bars, than anything else.

Baldur
Hi - I have been reading a lot of horror stories on some other forums. Like Baldur I'm not making out that crime doesn't happen but I have never had any problems. I know one person who got ripped off when they changed up money in one of the places where you are told not to, but hell, they knew better and found out the hard way. I have been using the forums for four years now and every year there seems to be a spate of these stories but the majority of people have no problems. Of course, that doesn't mean it can never happen to you - just act sensibly and follow the same precautions as you would anywhere. Don't walk about with loads of money on you. Ladies keep your purses in a zipped bag under your arm or across your body. Be aware of who is around you on a bus or in a crowd. Don't talk to or be distracted by anyone who you don't know in the street - they are not trying to be your friends! These are the same precautions I follow when I work in London every day. They are nothing new.

And no, I wouldn't go on the beach at night with my OH. Why would I when we have a hotel room ;)
Weather - We just got back 18/06 was there for 2 weeks we had 5 full clear days temperatures about 25-27 other days where sunny in morning then cloud cover and had about 3 bad storms. was warm all the time though lol

Cost of ammenities - What are the rough costs of water:- small bottles 70 stinkies about 32p/bread 90 stinkies about 42p/beer there big bottles about 2.50lev about £1.20/ didnt buy wine from the supermarkets.

no taxi used we walked/bus is 1 lev to station from sunny beach then 3 lev to nessebar (careful of pick pockets)

water sport costs would be useful. Banana boat was 15 lev (son enjoyed it lol)
Jet skis 50 lev 15mins for 1 or 60 for 15mins for 2 people

Cost of eating out - How are the prives looking this year, are there places to avoid who are ripping people off and who offers the best value? Best places we found where the German restuarants especially the ones on the plaza there is 2 next to each other and big beer was 69 stinkies at one and 89 stinkies at other and meals where good

Best meal we had overall was at Fat Cats really big portions there boritos mexican meal was a big hit we even had to get a doggie bag lol

cost of alchohol in most bars and restuarants is between 2-3.50 lev thats a big beer not much difference in the small ones

Currency exchange - I have been advised by the travel agent to take a mixture of lev and DOLLAR travellers cheques rather than Sterling/Euro. I was also told that dollars are accepted currency in Bulgaria. Is this accurate? Also where is the best places to change travellers cheques, are there banks in Bulgaria that wont rip me off!!

just took english stirling and got 2.37 from crown exchange booths

Attractions - We are interested in the waterpark and Kahns Tent. Are they still around and worth the trip. I understand there are a few water parks, which one is best, also am i correct in understanding there is a free bus to the water park - if so where does this leave from? Also is it best to buy tickets on the door to these typesof things.

We was adviced by a couple that already went to both to go to the action park one, which we did ( btw we are a family of 2 adults 14yr son and 11 yr daughter) bus was free from the main road behind sunny beach front near helena2 hotel we paid on arrival is was 120 levs so about 55 quid and had a great time, even though the heavens opened at lunch time but whats it matter when you wet already lol

General advise - are there any areas to avoid. I have read on here about robbers demanding handbags etc and not to go to the beach after dark - is this still the case. I am going with my girlfriend so dont particulary want to encounter any trouble.

didnt hear or encounter any robbings but have heard of them and we stayed clear of beach on night

I am looking to take £300 and my girlfriend £250. We are staying one week self catering. Im assuming this should be eough even with the bad exchange rate.

we took 1000 pound with us and was b&b for 2 weeks and have kids and we just had enough after buying gifts :)

hope this helps you

enjoy hols :cheers
am i correct in understanding there is a free bus to the water park - if so where does this leave from?

There's a free bus service to Action Aquapark which runs every 15 mins from the following pickup points in Sunny Beach. Hotel Riu Helena, Hotel Efir, Hotel Palm Court, Hotel Avenue, Hotel Svejest, Hotel Pomorie, Hotel Arda, Hotel Continental, Hotel Aktinia and Hotel Kotva.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.