Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
I am going there in May after reading lots and lots of reviews on various sites I have decided that for the price it is worth a shot. It's not all doom and gloom and if you do a good search you will find that on at least one site all the reviews are very positive.

Bugs happen everywhere and the comments regarding dirt are about what the lazy people leave lying around. I know of many hotels who have had bug problems and you usually find that they do everything in their power to stop them being a victim again.

As for chav city I find that many class bustling busy places in this catergory especially when they're AI each to their own though and people are supposed to be enjoying themselves on their holiday.

I really would not worry about it ;)
You know...your right! We always go on holiday with the aim to have a great time wherever we go and we haven't had a bad holiday yet.
The only thing that would ruin it for us is illness but I guess it can happen anywhere. In fact, a terrible bug swept though the Flamingo Oasis in Benidorm the year before last - weeks before we got there. We missed it and had a great time with ALL classes of people.

I'm going to stop worrying and look forward to it.
Please let us know how you get though !!

xx :cheers
As a previous poster said, there are bugs everywhere in Hot Countries, and it's a matter of luck as to whether you see them or not.

In Majorca all licenced premises have to have an annual treatment, which involves (amongst other things) painting a chemical line across all door ways which will kill any bugs that walk inthrough that entry. However some of them fly - so they don't die until they've come into contact with other lines within the premises, or they eaten the paste which is laid for them.

Also some years ago, we used to find that bugs appeared after we had a brewery delivery, and they were on the inside of the rims of the barrels, so we started leaving the barrels outside and spraying them before bringing them into the stock room.

Also it doesn't kill the bug instantly, so you could see a bug in premises which is about to kick the bucket, but it's still a bug, which obviously most people don't want to see anywhere, and certainly not in an eating establishment.

We hear stories of places in other parts of Europe where the walls are thick with them, and I know for certain that Hotels in UK set Cockroach traps, which suggests that it's a problem there, if not on the same scale as here in Spain.

Chavs? Now that's a different sort of pest. ;)
:tup Cheers, glad to hear that Goodfellow!

I was referring more to the sickness & diahorrea bug though :yikes

I can cope with a few creepy crawlies but would hate to get the illness bug - now THAT would ruin my holiday!!
wash your hands at all times and use the tongs when in dinning room.try not to open toilet door.once you have washed your hands.push it open or use a bit of paper.if they have gels in dinning room before you enter use them.by the way all toilets in spain are treated with bug stuff.well should be anyway.

on to the hotel.i have stayed there many years ago.it was ok then.but like me now when i go to ibiza.i have moved hotels.paying a bit more but well away from the show offs.ect.
Worst case scenario, you can go to the supermarket by some cleaner and clean your room on the first day, and then eat out every day!! However.... as previous posters have said, everywhere has bugs at some stage, and if you compare the number of bad reviews to the total number of guests that would
have stayed there during the season, its probably a very low percentage, and everyone knows that people (generally) are more likely to highlight a bad experience than a good. You'll have a great time, the weather will be fab but best of all, you won't be at work and someone else will make your bed!

:tup
Louise
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.