Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I believe the Thlos ruins were where we stopped on the trip to the Gorge on the Jeep safari. Seemed like a fair way to me.
I havnt been to the ghost town but pretty sure its not far from Olu. Someone will be along soon danny that can help you better. im afraid I dont venture too far from my sunbed these days. :(

lyn
nothing wrong with that lynn !!
Here is a link to the ghost village Danny. http://www.kayakoy.net/kayakoyeng.html

Have to say it does look good .my hubby and sons would love it. Cant understand why we have never been before . maybe something to do with the heat :yikes
The mosaic floor in the old church in Kayakoy is lovely. We walked from Hisaronu, which is a fair trek in the heat, so take plenty of water and have sensible shoes if you decide to walk!
A word of warning though. There are a few older residents who still actually live in the 'deserted' part, and they don't like having their photo taken. They can get a bit aggitated at people with cameras pointing at them, so please respect their privacy and wishes.
ahh now you see thats what we DID go to and allegedly thats not the `ghost town ` ??

because we were told the ghost town was up in the hills directly behind fethyie ?

im confused lol
Is it Kayakoy you mean?.We went here on a combined trip to Fethiye.We came back from Fethiye through the pine forest and stopped off for lunch near the village.We just booked it with a local tour company in Olu Deniz.
Ive always thought the "ghost town" to be kayakoy. :? :? ok we need an expert here
Hi
by no means an expert but have been to Tlos (yes jeep safari and the middle of nowhere- near the trout farm!)
KayaKoy is the "ghost village" which became so when the Greek Orthodox population was forcibly repatriated in (i think) the early 1900s. It was deserted for years but now has began to be reinhabited. Some great bars resturants and small hotels there now.
The main village is just a shell, but a good healthy climb with great views. I agree the mosaic floor is lovely
We went early evening both times, its the time the goats come home and has quite a spooky feel. There are also camels there. For a drink when you come down try Muzzys place ( nice wine) and to eat try the Istanbul or Cin Bal - the 2nd is a cook your own BBQ place and popular with tourists and locals alike.
You can get a cab or Dolmus to Hisonaru and then another to KayaKoy. We were there in August both years so walking not an option. A good fiction read about the place is birds without wings - Louis Corbieres - he ties it in to his more well known book Captain Correllis Mandolin
Hope this helps
Lally
Hi

Karakoy is the name of the village where the ghost town is,the dolmus goes there every half hour, the route is Fethiye-Karakoy-Hisaronu-Olu Deniz then returns the opposite way.

These are the Thlos ruins HERE not sure if a dolmus goes to them though.

Basil.
There are still one or two people who live in the old Greek ghost town - unless it was ghosts I've seen, and heard shouting at photographers. :omg :yikes
basil , thansk for that , thats what we COULDNT find i think
Not really that 'ghosty' anymore judging by the number of self catering cottages that are available to rent there now!

Agreed, early evening is the best time to visit. After walking etc you can sit in a restaurant and watch the sun go down. Beautiful. The old buildings change colour as the sun descends. Worth watching.

If you are staying in Fethiye though why not make a day of it and follow the road past the village to the beach a little bit further long the road...not too far to walk and no the dolmus doesn't go any further than the village. If you talk very nicely to the owner of the restaurant on the beach he may get one of his sons to drop you off at the island opposite the beach which has a full set of roman ruins. For most of the day you get the island to yourself but early afternoon there tends to be a plethora of tourist boat trips drop by for an hour or so, to visit the ruins. Be warned though there are NO facilities on the island beyond the wooden hut of the man who collects the entrance fee for the ruins (literally pennies). This means peeing behind a bush if you don't fancy the sea and taking lots of drinks etc. Well worth it though.

After a peaceful day there you can then enjoy a meal at Karakoy and watch the sun go down. I have spent many days like this and you really cannot beat it.
We visited Kayakoy on two trips from Olu Deniz. The quad safari from Hisaronu stopped there and also at the beach at the end of the road mentioned above. The half-day 'unimog' truck safari stopped there with a guided tour through the ruins and then on to Fethiye market.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.