Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi jlee and welcome to HT!

To prevent any future posts being deleted, can I ask that you turn of your CAPS Lock when posting as it is regarded as shouting on the internet?
Rules Of Posting:
1) Do NOT post in all CAPITALS - Your post WILL be deleted.

Thanks

luci :wave
Hi JLee, If you scroll back through to Jan 20th you will find the Discussion on Icmeler and this is where I would personally recommend having stayed there twice. Another resort to consider is Kalkan and I would recommend you stay at Hotel Nur, again, we've stayed at this hotel twice. There is a discussion on Kalkan and should be close by as someone posted on there only in the past few days.

Les
ive been to both resorts a fair few times and both are nice for different reasons, olu is quieter and prettier in my opinion, not as much hassle and the lagoon area is much nicer than icmelers beach. but icmeler is better for shopping and bigger choice of bars, restaurants etc, so it really depends on what your preferences are . i think you will like both resorts , i too didnt like bodrum but love both olu deniz and icmeler, olu deniz slightly wins over icmeler purely for the scenery
We to have been to both and olu deniz wins for us . Icmeler is much bigger and not as "chillded" as Olu and we found that because it was a much bigger resort the competition from resturants etc was more intense and this in turn produces more hassle . .to be fair you would probably like both and you would probably find more action in icmeler and all bars etc must turn off their music at midnight so it would never be OTT and if you chose Olu you would also have hisaronu 10 minutes away for a heavier night out . Olu is visually more stunning and a more varied resort IMO. so sorry icmeler fans but its Olu for me .

lyn
Olu Deniz without a doubt, you can get to lots of other places from there just jump the dolmus.
It is also more laid back and not so in your face.
The beach is really nice walk along untill you find the lagoon, you can always find a quieter area, very picturesque.Surrounded by mountains.

Icmeler is different, lots of bars, eating places, load music,bigger resort, beach nice but busy, people are great were ever you go, cant do enough for you :sun2
Olu deniz without a single doubt....you will not regret it!!!

Leah :)
Quite keen on Olu Deniz myself, so its getting my vote. Going back this summer and went in 2006. Dont often go to the same resort twice so it must have something.
Icmeler for me I have stayed at both resorts and I agree that for the beach and the scenery it has to be Olu I would say there is more to do and people are a lot nicer in Icmeler the prices in Icmeler are cheaper than Olu the facilities in Icmeler are better but well depends what you are looking for in a holiday :que
Icmeler gets my vote for three reasons, 1, Price's, 2, Hospitality, 3, Fantastic food everywhere.
Hi,
I think Oludeniz is better for couples. But i recommend Kas or Kalkan. These are not too much commercial, small towns. In Kas there are small streets and nice fish restaurants. Also atmosphere is perfect. Water is deep (not beach)and very clean.There are some hotel ports you can sit,swim,drink and eat.

Enjoy!
Onur
Oludeniz is hard to beat. It's breathtakingly beautiful, has a very nice wide beach and is surrounded by tree-clad mountains.

There's the lovely Blue Lagoon which is incredibly beautiful and peaceful (safe for swimming too).

The views when you climb the hill up towards Hisaronu are spectacular, and there's a host of lovely restaurants to choose from. You're also near to Fethiye town with its lovely harbour, and real Turkish restaurants.

I much prefer Oludeniz to Icmeler - it's more upmarket and less commercial. It's less noisy too.

I don't know ONE person who hasn't fallen in love with Oludeniz, but I know several people who were disappointed with Icmeler.
We have been to Olu Deniz twice and loved it. Haven't been back to Turkey for 4 years so thinking about going to Icmeler instead.
However - if you haven't been to Olu Deniz yet then you must go - it is so beautiful.
In the photos it looks like a huge sandy beach - but the main beach is actually large pebbles - you will need beach shoes - and it does shelve deeply in places. Further up there is the Blue Lagoon which is very soft sand. The blue lagoon is breathtaking, its like swimming in a huge warm bath. We found the number of bars and restaurants limited in Olu Deniz itself (its quite small) but there is a huge selection of lively and quiet bars/restaurants in the village of Hisaranou 10 mins up the hill. Cheap to get to by dolmus or taxi.
First time we went to Olu Deniz we stayed in Hisaranou (Hisaranou Holiday Club a very good hotel right in centre) and travelled down to the beach each day . Second time we stayed at Belchecez Beach Hotel right on the beach, and travelled up to Hisaranou some evenings. It perhaps depends on whether you are beach people.

Either way I'm sure you will have a great time.
I have been all over Turkey during the last 15 years and I must be the only person who didnt like Olu Deniz!I felt very claustrophobic there as its surrounded on 3 sides by mountains/hills.I must admit its a pretty place but I prefer Icmeler as I found the locals friendlier.You can also get on a dolmus to Marmaris which is a large busy resort but the harbour and marina is a lovely place to wander on an evening.Icmeler has a beach which has shallow water where as the main beach in Olu shelves steeply,although the lagoon beaches are lovely.
My favourite resort is Side which has the best of everything,Sandy beaches,stunning roman ruins,a lovely old town and friendly locals.
As a regular visitor can I recommend the Olu Deniz area, far more laid back and relaxed than marmaris/Icmeler area. Olu Deniz lagoon is beautifull, surrounding area really nice.
Can I make a suggestion that for easy going laid back holiday and accom you look at sonmezhotelapartments.com
Hi..Ive been to both resorts and for me Its Icmeler..I loved Olu the beach it stunning, but It was rather too quiet for me on evenings....I like a wee bit of nightlife and Icmeler has more bars and restaurants than Olu...Its a personal choice really...but whichever you chose..Its Turkey!
Oh there's PLENTY of restaurants and bars in Oludeniz! And if you want really LOUD and BUSY then just pop up to Hisaronu!

Olu has a great selection though, so you wouldn't need to go anywhere for entertainment. I think waht is so nice and special about Oludeniz is that you can have tranquillity and peace if you want it; you can dine in some fabulous restaurants - but if you do want to go clubbing it's just 5 minutes away. Best of both worlds. Whereas with Icmeler you can't always escape the hustlebustle and it's hard to find a peaceful spot.

Strawberry
And theres PLENTY of quiet spots in Icmeler..IF you know where to look! not thats its LOUD or BUSY
anyway... :tup
As a regular visitor can I recommend the Olu Deniz area, far more laid back and relaxed than marmaris/Icmeler area. if you want busy just pop up to hisaronu :sun2
Icmeler also has an old village whereas Olu is a created resort.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.