Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
one for Sanji
27 Posts
It's 1.7 kms away and a fair trek!

Montemar-Alto
http://i49.tinypic.com/34glms7.jpg

El Pinillo station station is nearer the Sol Aloha Puerto at 1 .4 kms, and still a fair trek away because the rail line goes inland.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vnjux0.jpg

Neither stations have a taxi rank, so you'd have to phone for a Torremolinos taxi if you don't want the walk from El Pinillo.
If you use El Pinillo and have any mobility problems navigating 2 sets of steps, you have to hope that the 2 lifts are working which take you underneath the rail track and back up onto the otherside to exit the station.

Coming back to the aeropuerto/Malaga is no problem because you're on the right side/platform and don't have to use the lifts.

Sanji
we normally make our way from just before the windmill roundabout up to the train station in Benalmadena, do you no that part, if so is it further than that
we normally make our way from just before the windmill roundabout up to the train station in Benalmadena, do you no that part, if so is it further than that

Arroyo de la Miel train station to the hotel Sol Aloha Puerto is 3 kms - that's walking and taking a short cut through Paloma Park.
If you're young and fit enough to pick up your suitcases or travelling really light with just hand lugagge, then I would get off the train at Torremolinos and get a taxi from there - the cost will be around €6 or €7.

If you're not young, fit or able - I would just get a taxi from the Aeropuerto, because if you get off at Torremolinos you have to hope that the escalator is working or carry your suitcases up a flight of steps.
A couple of years ago it wasn't working and my hubby at nearly 70 years old, he carried both suitcases up the steps ( average 36 kgs) and I'm convinced that is what gave him a hernia, and several months later he had to go into hospital for an operation.

If you get off at El Pinillo - again you have to hope that both lifts are working (I have seen one them out of action on occasions - not very often, but it's always at the back of my mind that they won't both be working and there's 2 sets of steps to navigate with suitcases - one flight of steps down and the other to climb.

Montemar- Alto is much better regarding steps, I think there are only 3 or 4 steps to the platform when coming from the aeropuerto and there might even be a ramp - I've not noticed it, but I haven't really looked for it.
If you phone for a taxi, one will be there within minutes and the cost will be around the same as from Torremolinos.- 952 380 600

If you get off at Arroyo de la Miel, the train fare will be more because you're going into another zone and the taxi fare will be more, because apart from it being further away, the taxi is coming over the border from Benalmádena into Torremolinos territory- only just into the Torre zone because the hotel Aloha Puerto is only yards over the border, but they will charge more.

So, basically, if in doubt and staying at the Aloha Puerto, I would get a taxi from the aeropuerto and you could save money on the return journey by taking a taxi to El Pinillo (there's a taxi rank outside the hotel - approx €6) and because you're travelling in the opposite direction there is a ramp that takes you straight onto the platform for trains to the aeropuerto/Malaga, so there's no problem regarding carrying suitcases up a flight of steps.

Sanji
I use an electric wheelchair and used the train for the first time from benalmadena to plaza mayor, the big shoping complex, but i will be staying at the aloha puerto next so i wondered if there was a train station closer than benalmadena which we can go from to go there again and maybe malaga.

I think, going off what you told me, that the el pinnillo is about the same distance from the aloha puerto as what benalmadena station was from our last hotel.
Sanji, i need your help, from the alhoa puerto do i need to head up to lidl and then turn left at the roundabout and head that way to get to el pinnillo station?
I think Sanji may appreciate a please and also a thank you for the assistance she has already given if I'm honest.
Head up to the main road where Lidls is and cross over on to that side. keep on that side Following the Torremolinos bypass. walk up hill Take the 1st left at the 2nd roundabout then take the first right. This will take you to El Penillo station.
There is a route up past the car park entrance to Lidls, but the one described is better, less directions
thanks to sanji and pipefitter
Hi Sanji. Glad to see H/T, is up and running again.
Shirley and I are off to your and our favorite place La Carihuela.its our 50th annivesriory. we have booked a week at the Sol Aloha Pureto, its some time about 20 years since we were there, in Las Palamos.
Have you and Dave been to the Sol AP in your many times in the Costa del sol, if so would thank you for any tips.... Snowey... :tup :tup
Hi Snowey, you've just missed Sanji she left today for................La Carihuela :tup However, I'm sure she'll pop in for a visit :wave
When are you going?
We dont go until 14th October :whoops
Sanji will be back by then, but as I say I'm sure she'll pop in here from La Carihuela :cheers
Hi Snowey.
I've not stayed in the Sol Aloha Puerto, but I have been in there a few times.
They have just refurbished the area downstairs and I walked through it in July - they have ripped out the dated fittings, knocked down a few walls and opened up the whole reception/ concert room area - making it very modern with a retro look.

I'm sure you know that the Aloha is at the opposite end of the resort from the Las Palomas and very near to Benalmadena Marina.
I'm a bit restricted using my tablet and having to depend on finding a wi-fi spot, so, I'll give my mate Elaine a nudge on Facebook to this thread, she and her hubby stayed there in July this year and she'll be able to help you more with specific questions about the hotel.

Sanji x
:cheers Sanji. have a nice holiday, all the best to hubby Dave, :sun2
Hi Snowey!

Sanji has been in touch and asked me to give you some comments on the Sol Aloha Puerto.

We have stayed there twice for a short break (both visits have been in June/July) This year we stayed in a Junior Ground Floor suite, booked direct on their site, as it was the cheaper option. The room was very spacious, bed, sofa, tv, dressing table and fridge. The first year we visited, you had to purchase ten items to enable the staff to turn on the fridge. However, this year, the fridge was up and working on our arrival, so don't know if this was a fluke or whether they have changed their policy!

The hotel is in a prime position, close to the Marina and right on the promenade. We never had a problem getting a sunbed, and if any of the beds were unoccupied but a towel on them, the lifeguard would come along and leave a note saying that if the beds were still unoccupied in 45 minutes time, the towels would be removed, and he actually did this, hence no beds being 'reserved' for most of the day. Lovely to lay there and overlook the promenade and beach, as well as the pool.

The food in this hotel, in our opinion, was excellent. We used to eat in the outdoor dining area, overlooking the pool, which was lovely. However, the dining area inside, could be very busy and noisy at times. They have a large variety of food, ie breakfast: cereals, fruit, ham, cheeses, toast, sausage, bacon, beans, hash browns, egg (cooked for how long you wanted), omelettes, yoghurts, variety of rolls, croissants etc, also Cava and Fresh Orange Juice should you fancy a glass of Bucks Fizz! Dinner: usual salad, including potato salad, coleslaw, etc, Rolls, Soup, Fresh Vegetables, Fish, Pasta, Pizza, variety of meats, and lots more. We are quite fussy eaters and there was always something there for us. Oh! Had almost forgotten the Desserts.........too many to mention, but all delicious!

And after dinner, it was lovely to take a stroll along the promenade and visit one of the many bars along the front.

Would definitely return to this hotel without a doubt...........and hopefully will be doing again next year.

If I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Kind Regards

Elaine

PS. We got the train from the airport and walked down (took about 20 minutes, all down hill) but got a taxi back to the station and caught the train back to the airport.
Hi Elaine :wave
When you have time would you kindly write your review of the Sol Aloha Puerto here please:- http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/costa-del-sol/torremolinos/sol-aloha-puerto-hotel/

Many thanks :tup
Hi. Elaine, thanks for in depth report on the hotel,and taking time to do it.
Shirley my wife and myself, are looking forward to going there.
Did you find the ground floor room ok ? we tend to prefer a higher room,
I always e-mail hotel 14 days before travel, with requests,but sometimes they just ignore it,
so we will cross that bridge when we get there.

thanks again Elaine and Sanji. :tup
Hi Snowey

Yes, we found the ground floor room fine. Although ours was on the ground floor, it was still a fair distance from the actual 'ground', as the road we overlooked was on a slope down to the promenade. It actually felt more like a first / second floor room when you sat on the balcony.

Have a lovely time, and if you need any more info - just let me know!

Kind Regards

Elaine

PS. There are a couple of bars worth a mention too - The Dark Side of The Moon on the promenade. Turn left from the gates of the hotel onto the promenade and keep walking. It's about a ten minute stroll and is set slightly back with a grassed area in front of it. Lovely for a bite to eat and drink at lunchtime. Never had a Sunday Lunch there, but know that Sanji and Dave have and enjoyed it. Also, in the evening, a stroll down to the Cabello Hotel is a must! Set in a pedestrianised area (next to the fountain), this is a lovely place to sit and have a drink and watch the world go by. I will try and remember some of the other bars we visited and let you know.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.