Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Sue.
I've been a tad busy since I got home, but here goes"¦"¦

Just spent 2 weeks in La Carihuela between Torremolinos and Benalmadena, staying in the hotel Pez Espada once again.
There's nothing really changed in either the resort or the hotel since I was last there, except there's quite a few bars that have closed down in the Montemar area of the resort.
Having stayed in the Pez Espada many times, I think it's getting ready for a bit of a mini face lift in certain areas, they certainly ought to spend some money on replacing the carpets in the bedrooms and the corridors because whilst they are clean and still intact, they are looking rather dated, otherwise I personally can't find any fault with it and they have just extended the restaurant seating capacity, which looks out over the beach and the Mediterranean.

We had to move rooms after a couple of nights because the stench that was coming from the bathroom during the night, it was not good for anybodies health, but in all fairness to the staff, they did immediately send several workmen up to try and rectify the problem with chemicals being poured down all the drains, while we were out all day in the resort, anyway, it didn't work and I insisted on a change of rooms, which they did and it was a far superior room that we were allocated, I think it was a way of an apology for the inconvenience.

We didn't venture very far this trip, we walked several times to Torremolinos town centre to have a nosey around and back, and then called in one of the chiringuitos for a bite to eat, but the smell of sardinas being cooked in one of them was so strong that I felt like puking :yuck and had to get out, which is unusual for me because I normally love the smell of sardinas being charcoal grilled on the beach and the smell wafting through the air, it's something that I associate with Andalucia, as opposed to say Benidorm and the Costa Blanca.

We went to Fuengirola one day last week to the indoor market opposite the train station, mainly to stock up on the spices that we use in cooking at home, which are so expensive in the UK, EG: turmeric, saffron, chillies, mixed peppers, black pepper, cumin, minced garlic and hot curry powder, plus some concoctions that will blow your head off or your bottom, :lol: then we had a look around the Dunes store where I bought several strappy tops, and then for a change we had a meal in a Chinese restaurant in "fish alley", and later caught the train back to Montemar Alto and walked back down to Carihuela.

During the fortnight, the weather was superb and we had sunshine every day, the temperatures were around 30°C, some days even higher and last Saturday being the longest day of the year, the sun rose around 7 am and set around 9 pm.

We spent quite a few days on the beach and I even managed to read 3 books during the fortnight, at around 2 pm we left the beach to have a snack in the "Dark side of the Moon" just opposite the section of the beach that we use"¦.and the first thing I had was a refreshing mug of tea while deciding on what to eat"¦.then back to the beach to sleep it off until around 5.30pm.
Last Sunday (the day we flew home) we booked a table for their Sunday dinner, as we wouldn't be getting any more to eat after breakfast in the hotel and did I enjoy it ? ...oh boy it was delicious and I couldn't have cooked it better myself, then I had one final "blow out" and ordered jam sponge and custard....naughty, but nice.!
They made me a couple of their home-cooked ham sandwiches for the airport, which they wrapped up in foil and it was a good move because Malaga airport was heaving with people and queues"¦.we actually ate them on the plane and just bought a cup of coffee to go with them.

On Tuesday the 10th June, lying on the beach we saw the massive cruise ship "Liberty of the Seas" as she left Malaga port and sailed across the "bay" on her way to Lisbon, Portugal"¦it was a spectacular sight, but unfortunately I had no camera with me, cameras and sand don't go together very well.

A week last Sunday we went up to Parque la Bateria, well, to be truthful we got a taxi up there and walked back, and I'm glad we did because it was a really hot day and it's quite an uphill drag from La Carihuela to Montemar Alto.
It's a nice park and they've spent quite a few euros on converting what was previous shrub/waste land, and all the plants/trees from places such as China and the Canary Islands are still young and not well established, then there's 4 cannons and the lookout over the coast, but I personally can't see it being anywhere near as popular as Paloma Park in Benalmadena because unless you live local or use the train, then you need a car/taxi"¦. otherwise it's a drag uphill to reach it....even for the moderately fit person.

Whilst we were there, which being Sunday I would have thought it would be busier than during the week, if you took the children's play area away, which was full of Spanish families, then the park was virtually empty.
There was one rowing boat out on the lake and a few tourists with cameras walking about"¦the cost for the rowing boats is €1 for half an hour (if I remember correctly)

The exchange rate"¦.one day only it reached €1.24/£1, the rest of the time it fluctuated between €1.22 and €1.23 and believe me, it's hurting the Spanish as much as it's hurting us.
I've been to this resort for many years, but I've been the exact same weeks (give or take a few days) for the last 7 years and this year is the quietest I've ever known it.
In the past by 11am you were lucky to get a bed on the beach and apart from Sat/Sun when the Spanish came out in force, this year you could take your pick all day long, it was extremely quiet during the week and the bars are begging for custom"¦. there was definitely a distinct lack of British tourists in the resort"¦..in fact if you took the Dutch out of the resort and many of them had come to be amongst other Dutch to congregate in the Dutch bars for the Euro 2008 football, then the resort would be on its knees"¦.and as one shopkeeper (who is also a friend) said to me, "if the British stop coming to Spain, then Spain is finished"

The prices, well I only frequent Spanish bars with the exception of the "Dark side of the Moon" at lunch time, and in the Spanish bars 2 cups of coffee cost me €2.40, there is the odd 10 or 20 centimos price rise here and there, but I think that depends where you eat/drink and it would have occurred with or without the bad exchange rate anyway, but it hurts all the more because of the current exchange rate from sterling into euros.
We had some lunch at the restaurant Casa Juan, which basically consisted of a massive prawn salad for 2 persons, some bread, wine and water and at €17 I thought that was a bit steep, but the place was full of Spanish and they are willing to pay the prices... it is a high quality restaurant and not some back street dive, so I suppose you're going to pay more, and this is why during the present exchange rate, you now have to pick and chose where you eat/drink to make your euros go further.

We decided not to use the transfer via Thomson from the airport on arrival and the taxi fare from Malaga airport to the hotel was €20, but it was Sunday and I believe it is a different rate anyway on Sunday's"¦it was €18 last year and €15 the year before, but there was a fuel dispute going on and fuel prices have also risen in Spain"¦..I saw prices around €1.34 and I presume that's for a litre of either diesel or petrol.

Well, I think that's about it, we never went to Malaga, Mijas, Puerto Banus, or Marbella and I didn't take the camcorder with me, but I've taken loads of pictures that I'm sure I can make into a kind of video, when I have the time.

If it's bored you to death, then I'm sorry, but you did ask :rofl

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Sanji.

Do you always do what you are asked ?

A great report.

Dave :sun2
sanji it must of taken you hours to compose your post on costa del sol was the hotel half board. carol
Hi Sanji
Many thanks for your interesting and detailed report. It has helped to make up for me missing out on my holiday there.We have stayed at the Pez Espada once but as you may remember we had booked at Las Palomas and the Bali.
It sounds as though you are going to be busy cooking, using all your spices you bought. Are you an adventurous cook?
I was surprised to hear that the Parque la Bateria isn't more popular, I thought it looked quite good in the pictures I had seen.
I shall look forward to seeing your pictures.
Will your next trip be to Benidorm?

Sue
Hi David
Do you always do what you are asked ?

Only for certain people :lol:
Hi Carol
was the hotel half board.

yes and this is why we decided to get a good meal inside us before we left the hotel at 6.30pm.
Hi Sue
It sounds as though you are going to be busy cooking, using all your spices you bought. Are you an adventurous cook?

Nah, not me love, I don't cook these days apart from the Sunday dinner, Mr Sanji does all the cooking, he lives on "Indian" food and sometimes he cooks in bulk and freezes them, I eat differently to him, I'll have some sometimes, but they "kill" my digestive system. :rofl
Will your next trip be to Benidorm?

I've booked for Benidorm at Xmas, but we probably will go somewhere in September, but, don't know where at this stage.

Too much going off at the moment.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiii
You were there at the same time as us, Sanji!! We were in Fuengirola and came back last Friday :( Weather was so gorgeous, wasn't it!
Hi Jackie

Yes I think we were,we came home on Sunday evening, but I wasn't quite sure how long you were there for and we only came to Fuengirola for the day.

The weather was brill....I wish I was still there and amongst some of my friends tonight, I bet it's a great atmosphere in the Spanish bars.

Sanji
I was just saying on the trip advisor site about the footy. I'm not a particular footy fan, but I have been supporting Spain from the beginning. They played a couple of games when we were there, and the atmosphere was great, but I would LOVE to be there now, especially now they have got through to the final.

:pele
great trip report sanji, we are coming to fuengirola 16th july, never been costa del sol before, so your post was really informative as have all your others,

cheers,
juby
Here's a few photo's that I took, that I won't be including in the "photo video" that I'll be doing shorty.
The last time I mentioned the temperature, WW3 broke out in here, :smile: so I took this photo in Torremolinos on the 21/6/08 at 10.39am as we were walking down Calle San Miguel....as you can see, it's showing 31 degrees C ...phew!
http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4206/onege7.th.jpg

Hotel Pez Espada...
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1905/sixdd9.th.jpg http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6295/sevengk5.th.jpg http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/373/ninenp2.th.jpg

our room in the "annexe"
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8849/twozn9.th.jpg http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/6088/threems4.th.jpg http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/7686/fourym0.th.jpg

Lunch at restaurant Casa Juan
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7982/fivepv8.th.jpg
And this photo shows how far they have gone down to sink the foundations for the new 5* hotel called the Hotel Cruiser which is being built in La Carihuela, although really I should say Montemar area of the resort,it's expected to be ready for 2011 or 2012.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/4683/eightdq0.th.jpg
Click on images to enlarge...Thanks to ImageShack for hosting

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
We are off to the Hotel Yaramar in Fuengirola in 6wks time. Never been to Costa del Sol before. Is Gibraltar a worth while visit?
Nice photo's Sanji - however are they your pj's on the bed? If so who left the jimjam bottoms in that position :yikes
;)
Nice photo's Sanji - however are they your pj's on the bed? If so who left the jimjam bottoms in that position

Thanks Glynis
Yes, I've just shown the world my jim jams :lol: although anybody around at 7-30 am would have seen me sat on the balcony having a cuppa tea in them :lol: I'd folded them up and put them on the bedside cabinet and the maid had done that.
So, I left them there...................

Wishful thinking :rofl

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Is Gibraltar a worth while visit?

IMO: Everybody has to do Gibraltar once, if only to say you've been there.
It does have an awful lot of history that is never recognised by the day trippers taken around the tourists traps, the majority are only interested in cheap booze, fags and the bleddy apes....or the novelty of seeing a mini Britain while they are geographically in Spain.

Each to their own. ;)

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiii
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.