Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Have a lovely time Jeff. I'm really envious. In the unlikely event of running out of sunscreen don't make the mistake of buying it in your hotel shop as it will almost certainly be cheaper in the supermarket or even the chemist. The same goes for almost anything you need to buy. I look forward to reading your report on your return.
Thanks for that Aslemma,maybe we should buy some more sun cream and aftersun,we have a factor 50 and 25 maybe its time for a factor 10 for the last couple of days.
Which in your opinion are the better Tunisian ciggies if we can't get any english ones?
:que
Well its now only 6 days and counting ,YEAH..!!!! :sun2 :)
I always smoke Royales in Tunisia which are very similar to Superkings which I smoke in the UK. They come in 'normale' which are the full strength, and menthol. Royales 'light' (legere) are smaller and in a paper packet. Do not on any account buy cigs from the boys on the beach etc. as they are usually fakes and definitely not to be recommended but the shops and kiosks are OK. Tunisians seem to smoke mainly Mars, or even Crystal which are very small and dirt cheap - they are so cheap in fact that you may find it worthwhile to try a packet to see for yourself. Do bear in mind that you are only going for a week and the cost of buying extra suncream etc. out there may be considerably less than paying for excess luggage.
Once again thanks for your quick reply Aslemma,the sun cream might run out as there is 4 of us going :D
How much are the Royales that you have said about ,we will be buying JPS duty free at the airport ,probably as both my wife and I smoke :que . Would it be worth buying a bottle of decent vodka aswell and does the hotel do an alco-pop drink like WKD as this is what the better half drinks. :cheers
Do you know how much the para-sailing is off the beach,as we all fancy a go at that.
Many thanks in advance..
Jeff
Hi Jeff, I've always paid around 2.700 dinars for a packet of Royales (just over £1) but I think they may have gone up a bit now. They were 5 dinars in Borj Cedria in May but I think that was because there was no competition and the few shops around were connected to the hotels.

Imported drinks are very dear out there so if you want to have a decent vodka on your balcony it would be worth taking some out with you. I've no idea about alco-pops as they aren't my cup of tea (ha ha) and I usually stick to beer (Celtia) or wine (preferably the red Magon). Unfortunately I've got a liking for Cedratine, a Tunisian liqueur based on lemons, and I always try to bring a couple of bottles back with me as you can't get it in the UK. Boukha andThibarine are both based on figs and I can't stand them.

I don't know how much the para-sailing is as I've never risked it as I had a heart attack some years ago. I would remind you however that most prices are 'negotiable' so haggle like mad!!
Hi Aslemma,
Thanks for your quick reply,the price of the fags are still alot cheaper than here ,me and the OH normally smoke baccy but will be on tailors on holiday.
Looks like the wife is going to have to drink Vodka and coke and trying a few of the cocktails,haha!!! :cheers I hope the beer isn't too gassy as I have had a gastric by-pass and cannot drink anything that is too gassy,looks like I will be on coffee or straight vodka if the beer is gassy.
We will definately haggle for the best price for para-sailing and the other water sports even though I had a hernia repair 8 weeks ago and might not be able to join in I'm sure my kids will have a go . If it looks to strenuous I will just be swimming and sun-bathing ,how taxing haha!! :D Now only 5 days ,but who's counting :tup
Nearly all cocktails i saw and tried had Boukha in its the strange toffee like taste that gives the drink a brown look :yikes
Some waiters do seem to do there "own" English cocktails involving a double vodka and masses of fruit spirits be warned drinking these though straw can make you see double :rofl A single plain vodka is around 4,500 Dinars in hotels.
I can also recommend the cherry brandy at 3 dinars a shot or 6 dinars for a glass full its a nice ending to a night :cheers
In June for 2 Adults 1 teenager and 1 tot we used 4 bottles of sun cream in 2 weeks and we don't sunbathe i find it kinda boring :really
Also some stores in the uk are now doing Cooling sprays which are great on trips (even better if you put them in the fridge the night before). :D
Also if you find the wine to be alittle dry try adding Boga (sprite) to it all our waiters thought this was the best thing to do tp red/rose wines.
Looks like the wife will be trying a few of those cocktails ,hope they are not too strong haha!!! :rofl
Now only 2 days to go ,all packed and raring to get out there :D , we have some of those cooling sprays ,sounds as though we will be needing them.
Thanks for everyones help and will report back after we get back... :cheers :sun2
Have a super time Jeff and we look forward to reading your report. :sun2 :hols :fly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.