Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
You may find THIS helpful, also have a look at REVIEWS while you wait for replies ;)

Pippy :)
We were at the Casa Del Mar in July while it was undergoing its transition to the Dreams La Romana. Previously we had gone to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus but as my husband had fond memories of the Casa Del Mar from a holiday there years ago we decided to give it a try. I was disappointed with the overall appearance of the Casa Del Mar, it certainly didn't have the wow factor that the Hacienda has. We didn't think the food and restaurants were up to the same standard either. The room we had was very shabby and basic although I suppose this will have been upgraded by now or be in the process of being upgraded. The holiday was fine but I definitely wouldn't go back there, in fact we have just booked to go to the Hacienda Dominicus next year for the third time :D
There have been a lot of changes to the hotel while it was Casa del Mar and now SOOOO many through this summer as it transitions to Dreams La Romana! I visited the resort a dozen times since February 2004 and have enjoyed seeing the results of the changes in the past so I hope I'll feel the same about the new property. I just hope with the upgrades and increased luxury I can continue to afford it... :think

I'm obviously new to this Forum but am seeing by a quick scan of the posts about the hotel that there are a number of misleading comments out there. Not many of them have much impact any more (like how it was a change of "ownership" that made it a Dreams [Dreams is just another brand of AMResorts which is the same company that has the Sunscape hotels; irrelevant to a change of ownership] and how the decreased amenities this summer would have people think that the hotel hasn't much to offer). Indeed this summer the hotel was running with less than the norm but as the new restaurants and rooms and Preferred Club area with private pool are revealed with the opening of Dreams La Romana, we will all see a very different situation.

My most recent visit was in October, 2008 since I wanted to visit one more time as a Sunscape, but I was then already booked to return in February! I go back on February 6 with my mother and my best friend who'll be there with 16 family members for a family reunion. We're all really looking forward to it!

Some people are talking about having already been to Dreams La Romana and reviewing it as that but the change doesn't become official until the end of next week which is a bit ahead of schedule. It's still Sunscape, with the benefit of a few of the Dreams amenities included. The final work on the convention centre will be done by the end of January.

I have an album of pictures from my visit in October posted online, with more to follow as I get the editing of them finished. I'll have hundreds of pictures when I return at the end of February (going for 15 days)! There area also hundreds of pictures and videos from my past trips, including local excursions, tours of the town of Bayahibe and to Santo Domingo, Catalina Island, Saona Island, and a couple of other hotels in the area (Catalonia Gran Dominicus, Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach/Palace, and Gran Bahia Principe La Romana).
I don't want to rush the time between now and February since it goes so quickly anyway, but I'm looking forward to the next trip! Snorkeling from that beach is me in my happy place! :)

Kaki :sun2
Some of the buildings had already been upgraded while I was there but the overall look of the Casa Del Mar or Dreams La Romana does not compare with the Hacienda Dominicus. The reception, lobby and grounds of the Hacienda Dominicus are much grander looking than the Casa Del Mar and I don't think even with the upgrade Dreams La Romana could compete.

I just remember feeling so disappointed when I walked into the reception of the Casa Del Mar and wishing I hadn't booked there. I know they have 'done it up a bit' but it would have to be a complete rebuild as far as I'm concerned. Oh and by the way when I booked for the Hacienda Dominicus for next June it was only £50 more than Dreams La Romana for two weeks. You have to pay an awful lot extra if you want the club rooms at Dreams La Romana but I was more than happy with the 'standard' rooms at the HD and as most people spend the majority of their time out of their rooms I think the fact that the HD is a beautiful resort is more important. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.