General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Why not contact the airline and see what they suggest? I see no problem carrying a bridal gown as hand luggage ... you might have to pay a bit more for it though ... after all, a lot of carriers who still operate first class have large 'wardrobes' for coats etc (look on aircraft plans) and if you had the dress in a special package rather like a suit carrier with a built-in hanger, this should not prove too much of a problem.

If the bride-to-be hasn't yet chosen her outfit, she should consider the material it is made out of ... linen crushes like hell, perhaps she should consider artificial silk or something that can survive being folded? Perhaps a two piece would be more practical - there are so many to choose from!

Enjoy the big day ... and its location!
A colleague of mine got married a couple of years ago in Australia, she checked with the TA or airline to explain about her dress, they advised her to pack it in a separate case (and she packed it in bubblewrap) I'm not 100% certain but I think it was a medium case and she was able to carry it as hand luggage due to it being her wedding dress.
I took my dress as hand luggage in a suit carrier when we went to Kenya for our wedding the cabin staff even hung it up for me so it would not get damaged in the overhead lockers. I wouled phone and ask what they allow
First Choice Weddings have told me that a wedding dress cannot go in the cabin at all!! :cry:

However, when I spoke to First Choice Airways, they said that a suitcase 18"x14"x8" (including wheels) is permissable in the cabin, and I guess it's up to you what you pack in there.

I would be careful though, because if you pack it this way, you have to be prepared for security staff to want to open your case and check the contents - not very nice if you hubby-to-be is stood right next to you.

I'm still undecided about what to do!! :?
How about packing it in a jacket box if it isn't too full styled it should fold into there ok pack it with tissue paper and it should be fine that way and it would be small enough for hand luggage. If you take one of the suit hangers things with you and hang it when you get there it should have time for any creases to drop out. Put a sticker on the outside stating what the contents are and they may just scan it if you explain. Just a thought anyway hope it helps.
I think if you pack it in a poly bag (maybe the one it comes with) will stop some of the creases and protect against splillages.

I'd go for a suit bag too if it'll fit!
Hang the dress up in the bathroom and put the shower on to get rid of any creases. not for too long though.
Has the dress been chosen yet?
If not have you looked at ebay for ideas?
I found this and I want to go with you
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46512&item=8168105437&rd=1&tc=photo

Hope you all have a great time :D
That dress is stunning isn't it!
The photo's are fantastic!
Makes me wish I'd done it like that!

Maybe next time :wink: :wink: :wink:
The dress didn't make it's reserve :shock:
Bit pricey for a 2nd hand dress thats got loads of sand in it :lol:
When we got married First Choice allowed us to take my dress on board,they were fantastic! Not only did they allow us to go over our luggage allowance without charging us, they took my dress of me as soon as I boarded and hung it up in the cockpit.
I had my dress made for me because I just could find anything suitable to wear,we got married in Cyprus in June and I knew it was going to be very hot! The dress maker packaged it all up for me aswell,it was great walking through the airport with a huge wedding bag with people coming up to me wanting to have a look at it.
First Choice have allowed us an extra 5kg each for our wedding stuff free of charge which is great! However, the Weddings Dept have categorically said "no" to having the dress in the cabin, stating it must go in the hold.

I'm confused that most people are allowed to take their dresses on, but I'm being told no, no, no!! :hmmm

What should I do!!??!! :?:
Is the Weddings department separate from the flight admin? Why not discuss your problem with the flight admin, or contact their ground staff at the airport you will be flying from and ask them.
If I remember rightly I didn't even deal with the wedding department about my dress,I just phoned the airline direct who just told me to give my dress to the air hostess and they would sort it for me.
They did say that if the captain didn't mind it could go in the cockpit with him,if not it would have to go in the overhead locker.
Guess I was lucky!.
All I can think of is this was in 97 when weddings in Cyprus weren't as popular as they are now.We were they only couple on board getting married,I suppose if they have a couple of brides on board they can't hang everyones up or show favour to someone.
going to vegas to get married, anyone got experience and tips on best way to take wedding dress on flight, thanks jeanette.
If you are on the direct bmi flight (MAN-LAS) or Virgin flight (LGW-LAS), then you migt be able to getthe cabin crew to hang it for you in the wardrobe within the cabin. If on the Airtours charter - not sure they have this facility and room probably more at a premium.
When we flew with Virgin to Antigua they let me hang my wedding dress up in the cabin, even though the travel agents said we wouldn't be allowed. Someone else also hung hers up at the same time as me as well.

The Stewardesses were absolutely fine about this.
I was so stressed when we went to Cuba to get married in may. Everything that could go wrong with the outfit did. I went to get my wedding underwear along with my dress 4 days before we flew out. Then I was told that they didnt have the right underwear for me anymore (even though I had paid for it) and that she had forgotten to sew a button on the back of my dress could I do it myself when I got home. I was given some different underwear (more expensive at no extra to me) and it turned out I didnt need an extra button. But........ I was so fed up I just virtually chucked my dress in the case the day before we flew out. In the same case as the other clothes and you know what?... There wasnt a crease or mark on it. Hang it on the shower rail in the room and it will be perfect. Good luck,
Becky
I got maried 2 years ago in Malta and bought my dress from House of Fraser - it was a white evening dress with diamontes and nobody noticed it wasnt a 'real' wedding dress - it was perfect for the climate - I packed it carefully in a separate suitcase marked fragile - and when the luggage came through my dad noticed the blokes just throwing it around and it had a big dent in it like someone had kicked it especially!! It was fine though and we hung it up as soon as we got there in the bathrom so any creases could drop out. So if you do put it in your ordinary suitcase I wouldnt bother marking it fragile - it seems the arsey airport workers could make a beeline for it !! Good luck x
I took my wedding dress into the cabin. I packed it into one of those trolley cases that the flight crew take with them. I folded it in tissue paper which really helps creases and then hung it up as soon as I got to my hotel in the Dominican Republic.

I can't see how taking a wedding dress in a case is any different from taking a sports bag with spare clothes in it which I know a lot of people do. I think that First Choice are being a bit funny about this, my friends went with First Choice to Greece this year to get married and they were also told that they couldn't take their wedding clothes as hand luggage.
Further to my post above, I did actually take my dress with me and had it in the cabin!

I folded it up, still in the cover, into a sports bag that fit just within FCA's dimensions. Because my dress was made of quite light fabric, I had room to spare in the bag. I was able to put my purse and passport etc in the side pockets of the bag, so no need for separate handbag.

I put the sports bag under the seat in front (being careful not to stand on it) for the duration of the flight rather than in the overhead locker.

When I took it out the other end, the dress didn't even need steaming and was perfect - my sister's BM dress which we took with us in a suitcase in the hold did, however, need a light steam.

It seems I may have been panicking unduly!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.