Spain - Canary Islands - Lanzarote Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Lanzarote.
I also looking here for Christmas. Seems to be on all the hotel sites, so I guess it's all resolved and OK ?
I've just booked here for a week in June for my sister & I (not teens) ..any advice / tips please re: where to request a room .
Also how far are the "nice" beaches from this hotel?
Finally , any idea how much a taxi wil be as th travel co. charge so much. Very grateful for any assistance.
best regards
helen
If anyone would like to post a review, please do so HERE.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
I'm of here in June . Has anyone stayed here recently?
Any tips re: which block to request etc?
Thanks for your help .
Regards
Helen
I visited my falcon travelshop (Ireland) to book a trip for easter 2007 and was told papagayo wasn't available.I left with a booking for sun tropical! I just assumed papagayo had been booked out.
On the website where you can book online, it says there is technical difficulties when you try to complete the booking but every other accommodation seems to be available.Strange!
I'll call them on tuesday and ask what's the story.
Sins
Please can someone advise how far it is to a nice beach from the Papagayo Arena Resort? I've read in other reviews that it's a 10 minute walk but can't find any maps of the area (In detail) .Is it worth hiring a car so that we can drive there? appreciate your help
Best regards
helen
I see that the previous post has been visited over 1300 times but only 14 replies so if you have stayed here please do give some advice .
Thanks in advance
Best regards
helen

*Edit. Merged with existing topic. Pippy*
I've jusy found these reviews of the Papagayo Arena Resort (84 in total) and am posting this link as this post has been visitied so many times .
I'm off there myself on Sunday 18th so will write up a report when I come back and hopefully be able to answer any questions anyone has .

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187477-d286724-r5289006-Papagayo_Arena_Resort-Lanzarote_Canary_Islands.html

Rgds
Helen
I stayed there in March this year, and had a fantastic time.

The staff are excellent, and so was the plentifull amount of food :lol:

We loved the sofa's on the balcony terrace of the bar, and sitting there early morning or late night was fab, with a breath taking view.

One of the few AI hotels I know that never charged for anything, and even gave away p-nuts and crisps on demand.

Only complaint was the bed, hard as nails.
thanks Graham - sounds like you had a great time . We're (my sister & I ) off there on Sunday for a week.
Do yuo know anything about bike hire from the hotel?
also did you walk to the beaches ..is it an easy walk ?
would appreciate your reply
Rgds
Helen
Helen, unfortunetly 2 weeks before we went, I broke my foot in 2 places :? , so I spent my time hobling around on crutches :oops: . The beach directly in front of the hotel (hotel has lifts) was very rocky, with some sand. The beach to the left (quite a walk) was for naturists, but having a gammy foot, I couldnt get there :roll:

The hotel didnt offer any bikes, but then I never asked, but there is a free bus service several times a day to the local resort that probably did.
poor you , that's an awful thing to happen before holiday
But thnakyou again for the information Graham . Please may I ask you 1 last question- which block did you stay in as I've read that some are better than others in terms of views / noise etc?
Rgds
Helen
I think it was block "H", as you come out of reception to the pool area, its the block right in front, with the glass elevators. Very nice views across the bay.
thanks again Graham
only a couple of days to go and I'l be there then I'll be able to answer questions myself.
regards
helen
literally just back from Papagayo Arena resort and will post a review asap .
Please forgive me if I don't respond to any questions immediately playing catch up .
Rgds
Helen
thought I'd get this done quickly as I personally have found the reviews to be extremely helpful when choosing hotels / resorts .So hope this helps .
I have got some photos so may try to add them later.
Quick summary - great hotel & facilities & good value for money , perfect for a relaxing , chilling break . BUT boring entertainment and certainly not the best location if you like a bit more to do in the evenings.

Rooms:
Good sized room , keycards are used . The bedroom itself was fine - the beds were firm but I sleep on a firm one at home and it was okay for me but my sister moaned a lot. Aircon which kept the room nice & cool. Decent sized bathroom with bath/shower, 2 sinks and plenty of space for all your toiletries and a power socket for the hairdryer if you bring your own which I did. Plenty of wardrobe space BUT ladies..not many hangers (only 5 in each wardrobe) . I'd read this beforehand and packed some stuff on hangers, which also speeded up the unpacking. There are also very few drawers but there some shelves in the wardrobe which helped. A colour TV which was mainly in Spanish but did have a decent movie channel in English with Arabic subtitles, CNN & Eurpsport which showed the England match !! A fridge with complimentary bottle of water, a room safe (which you have to pay for + deposit) , a couple of chairs and a double sofa bed. We were in block C which gave us a lovely view of the sea & Fuerteventura + a nice balcony that you could sit out on.
And we didn't hear the cockerels once!

Restaurants
Main restaurant , meals are buffet style . The main restaurant leads straight into the Italian and then walk through this to find the Chinese restaurant (which you have to reserve 24hrs before at reception) There is something for everyone... I'm trying hard to be healthy and you can still do that here even on AI The main restaurant had several main course choices + "show cooking " of meat and fish + carvery meats, loads of salads even though there weren't many vegetables to be found. Sweets but always fresh fruit on offer + cheeses but no blue cheeses sadly.
Italian much as you'd expect , pizza + pasta .
Chinese - ate there 1 night and no it's not going to be like yout ocal takeaway / restaurant but very passable and we enjoyed it as it made a change and the restaurant is not so big as the others .
French restaurant - never tried it as if we were going to pay we 'd eat outside the restaurant in Playa Blanca (which we did) . Needless to say it didn't seem open very much Restaurant drinks
The very good news is that you also help yourself to drinks, soft drinks, beer , water + red, rose and white wine and they were not bad at all unlike some awful wine that is sometimes served in AI hotels
Snack Bar
You can get food drink 24 hours in the hotel if you check the timings . Though the night you can come here . It serves the usual sausages and burgers but also fresh pizzas, various hot filled rolls + a good selection of salads, puds and fresh fruit and drinks as per the main restaurants .
BARS
There are other reports on this , we mainly went to the Bar Verde Green Bar where Teresa is fantastic barmaid . She remembers what you drink and there's a drink on the bar before you ask for it. Beware of the 11pm rush when everyone goes for last drink !!then you have 3 choices. Go out or to the Disco which is free entrance but you will have to buy the drinks or If you like beer wine or soft drinks you can go to the snack bar and get this as all inclusive right through the night you can also get snacks if you are hungry.

Facilities: very good . Plenty of water coolers around the hotel .We didn't use the gym and spa or the three Jacuzzis that were available But many did. The spa is where you change your pool towel .There were shops on site newsagent, sports clothes shop, electrical shop and a hairdresser., jeweller, bits & pieces but we went into Playa Blanca especially when the weather was very cloudy which it was a lot during our week !

Pools
pools are coldish but smaller ones were okay . We just dived in and swam & they were refreshing , well looked after and had no problems with sunbeds etc .
Entertainment
There were shows on every night - but we didn't enjoy them . There was 1 though which was a bit risque. Disco - not well attended so no atmosphere at all. We felt that the night entertainment was very disappointing !! Daytime - Sporting activities going on every day that you could take part in. crazy golf, football rifle shooting or archery, water polo & aqua gym
reception -
Always seemed busy & not the friendliest bunch all the time - They didn't seem to ever have enough staff on and the continental style of not queueing for things meant that some people (particularly the Spanish ) just started speaking and pushed in "¦really annoying when all we anted was then to ring a taxi for us .
Beach
They have a number of lifts that get you down to the beach but it's not very nice.Very stony but there are beds down there and we never got charged. Tip : it was very warm down here when very cloudy as the hotel seemed to shade us from the wind
We did "hike " to the nearest Papagayo beach as we'd heard so much about hem but I was disappointed as I come from South West Wales and those ARE beaches !!
Misc
There are courtesy buses from the hotel to Playa Blanca but a taxi only costs 4 euro so we did that and suited ourselves
Went to the market at the Rubicon marina - Wednesdays, pleasant walk.
Lots of info around reception area.
I've been to Lanza before and done all the sightseeing trips which are worth it , hire a car and tour the island especially when it's not the best weather .

Gripes : hotel map is given to you but it's not easy to find your way around as complex is big but after a few days you get used to it . (I've brought 1 home and will scan it in )
You have to wear bright orange armbands hello what's wrong with black or white ?
WHY couldn't we have tea/ coffee making facilites in the room ? It would have been great to make a cup of tea in the morning "¦missed that .
WHY do you have to pay for drinks in the disco? We went there on several occasions and there would only every be 8-- 10 people in there which included some children running around. If there free drinks then people would enjoy the night more as everyone seemed to be coming to dinner quite late (the earliest was 7.30 pm)
NB We got charged for 7 kilos overweight on our suitcases but neither of us had any hand luggage and we could have taken 5 kilos each ....not very logical or customer friendly - Thomas Cook Airlines
Many thanks for posting your report so promptly! :tup

You'll also find Mrs F's review HERE.

I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, Playa
Blanca is my favourite resort on Lanzarote!

Pippy :D
Glad you enjoyed it.

Graham
I've brought various bits of information back with me ..
so for those who'd find this useful...
the free shuttle bus for the hotel to playa blancd goes at
and returns at
A taxi was always just under 4 euros .
Regards Helen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.