Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i have added these apartments to our review sectio here

if anyone has stayed here, please add your review.

kath x
Paradise apratments are now Club 18-30 as far as I know so it should be pretty lively there!!

The apartments are on the main road just a few minutes from the bars and restaurants of Gumbet and 5 minutes from the beach. There are a few good, lively and popular bars very close and you can walk a littl further down and you will come to the busy bars and clubs on bar street.

There is plenty to do during the day too, lots of watersports on the beach and a water park nearby. You can also go on a boat trip for about £10 and a jeep safari and Bodrum is nearby too if you fancy a day or night out. You can catch the dolmus right outside your apartments and they run every 5 - 10 minutes 24 hours a day.

If you want to know anything else just ask as I lived in Gumbet for a few years so I should be able to help.

Kedi

PS - Also take a look at http://gumbet.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=gumbet if you want to chat to loads of people who go to Gumbet regularly, it is a fun forum all about Gumbet.
Thanks for the info musch appreciated

What i would like to know is, is there a quad safari available i did that in Marmaris it was fantastic and what are the average prices this year if you know of the usual things food/beer/activities

Not sure about the quad safari but the jeep safaris are brilliant! If prices are same as last year (and they were in early January this year), a large beer (Efes) averages around 4-5 lira although you will see offers around the town. Spirits aren't cheap as they're imported - you should see the prices of a bottle of Malibu for the bar owners!! Food can be as cheap or as dear as you want really - the kebaps are great after a night out and there's loads of small cafes where the prices are reasonable, right up to some fantastic restaurants where you can spend as much as you want.

Trips are usually good value - don't buy them off a rep, there's loads of agencies in the resort and you can often work some deals when booking more than one. Don't miss the boat trip - great value for money and a great day out.

Depends what you want to do really - Kedi says your hotel is 18-30 so I'm guessing you'll be on Bar Street a lot? Now this is only my opinion (and I may get into trouble for this) but I don't find the drinks as strong on Bar St (and certainly not the free shots they entice you in with) - or maybe that's just me getting older LOL!!

As you're in apartments, you will be able to buy food in to have a snack. There's a good small market in Gumbet on a Sunday and the fruit, veg, cheese, etc are dead cheap - and there's a bread shop opposite so you can always make a butty! If you want to have beer, pop, etc in your apartment, it may be worth a trip to one of the supermarkets (there's Kipa, Migros, etc on the main peninsula road) - there's a couple of cheap ones (think Lidl or Aldi) on Ismet Inonu Caddesi (the road from the windmill to Gumbet junction - you'll soon find where that is) - I can't remember their names but maybe Kedi knows.

Any more questions, just give us a shout - we have a house in Gumbet and visit about 5 times a year.
Thank you that was very helpful and i will keep you in mind for further questioning :) I visit Turkey regularly but Gumbet is a first :) It is 18-30 and bar street will be a main headline for us and i have heard a lot of rumours of 'watering down' but we will see. I think we will be defintely going a few supermarkets for food and drink for the room makes it a bit cheaper of a holiday :) But yes i will give you a PM Jakki as soon as i have a few questions

Thanks again
I think you will find beer is ok wherever, I have never heard of them watering that down but I'm sure they do give skimpy measures on spirits especially after the first couple, only in the really busy bars though, the smaller ones are usually fairer (and cheaper) with their drinks. Those free shots usually don't have any alcohol in at all!

I don't know the names of the supermarkets as I always went shopping in Gima (Carrefour), Tansas or Migros.

I haven't seen quad safaris, only jeep safaris. As Jakki says a large beer is on average 4-5TL, more expensive on bar street. Food can be very cheap if you have kebap, durum, pide etc, maybe £3 or £4 but if you eat in the really touristy restaurants along the beach or bar street it will be more expensive £10 - £12 per person for a meal.
Hi Kedi/Jakki

Is there any way we could get to Marmaris for the day while we're in Gumbet? Not keen on the place myself but my husband has a few friends out there and he'd like to go and catch up with them. Obviously we'd just book a hotel for the night, but I wondered if we'd be able to get there and back without it costing a small fortune! There'd be 6 of us travelling, if a taxi/minibus would be the only option.

Thanks
Kate
Yes, you can get a bus from Bodrum to Marmaris, it takes about 3 hours I think, I'm not sure how much but is is quite cheap.
It's 180km from Bodrum to Marmaris and the drive between the two is lovely - once you get past Mugla and go through Gokova and Akyaka. I think the buses run hourly. There are loads of different coach companies at Bodrum bus station (8 or more from what I can recall). Sorry I don't know the price. Each bus company has an office at the bus station and a lot of them have the prices on boards outside so it might be worth looking at them all when you get to Bodrum - although I would imagine that they're all much of a muchness.

We did it in reverse last year as, for some strange reason and on a whim, I booked a week in Marmaris and didn't like it so had a couple of days in Gumbet. We hired a minibus as there were 10 of us so I can't say what the coach prices are. We're hoping to do the trip (with an overnight stay) when we go to Gumbet in June as my daughter and son in law want to go to Marmaris for a look and we'll stay overnight but we will have a car and will enjoy the drive.

Yes, on Bar Sreet I was meaning that the spirits tend to be weaker (is that the right way to say it) than where we usually go. I don't think the beer is watered down although some of the bars do tend to serve Tuborg rather than Efes though (we don't really like Tuborg). As Kedi says, the free shots don't usually contain alcohol - although I have observed some people getting "merry"off them - must be the atmosphere and wishful thinking!

There's also a nightclub in Gumbet if it's still open. It's the Hemera and it's not on Bar Street. It's open until 7am and a lot of Turkish people go there as well. When you're in Gumbet, go past Chinatown and you will see the taxi rank and the signs to turn right up the side street to the Hemera. Of course, there's always Halikarnas in Gumbet and also the catamaran club in Bodrum (dancing and drinking while out at sea) but neither are a cheap night out. May be worth a special night out though!
haha was wondering about the sites and sounds of gumbet and funny i should stumble across the friend im staying with asking the same questions OASullyFC

I was wondering how big is bar street actually and could you possibly give me more information on the jeep safari?
Bar Street is only a very small part of Gumbet, you can walk from top to bottom in five minutes!!

The jeep safari is really great - depends on how many are booked and who they are as to how good the water fights are!! They're fun and wet and dirty - a great day out and you get to see some fantastic scenery.
thank you, one more quick question (sorry!) but would you happen to know How far the Paradise Apartments are from the La Maison Apartments as we are meeting up with friends there, i have been told they are practically on the same street???

thanks in advance
Yes, it is in the same street, just a few minutes walk away.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.